Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

07 450 King Quad clutch plate wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 450 King Quad clutch plate wear

I have recently removed my primay clutch and have a question about wear on them. Should I be able to feel any wear at all on these. I can feel a slight step in the fixed and movable plate. Also with these removed should there be much end play in the shaft? Thanks for the help guys

Old 03-14-2015, 04:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The primary clutch doesn't have plates, it's a centrifugal drum type. They work fine until the shoes wear down to the steel backing, then they slip.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

What are you calling the "shoes"

Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The components marked GN5 on the picture are the shoes, the brown stuff is the lining, when it is worn so far that the steel part of the shoe contacts the drum, the clutch will slip.

Attached Thumbnails 07 450 King Quad clutch plate wear-centrifugal-clutch.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's not in my quad. I have a belt drive which has a primary and secondary clutch. The primary is what I have of right now and have questions about

Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh dear, I wish Quad makers would call things by their correct names. The object in the picture is the primary clutch. What you have in pieces will be the variator. It's a belt drive system, nothing to do with a clutch but some makers will call it a clutch because crude systems make it work as the clutch as well. On Suzuki's system it does not, like I wrote earlier, the clutch is the thing in the photo. The variator pulleys do get slight wear steps in them, this doesn't seem to affect performance. Nor will a small amount of end float on the input shaft.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The sheaves that squeeze your belt should be perfectly smooth. The shaft that your Primary was mounted on should have zero play since it's the end of your crank shaft that your piston rides up and down on.

Now I,m talking CVT snowmobile experience here, Unless Suzuki changed the rules on primary clutches somehow.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

"The shaft that your Primary was mounted on should have zero play since it's the end of your crank shaft that your piston rides up and down on." No it isn't, like I wrote further up the KQ has a centrifugal primary clutch, the input shaft for the variator has a drum on the inside of the engine case. I have a 700 in bits at the moment waiting for a new shoe assembly.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

So this 700 KQ video of a guy taking the primary off the crankshaft of the motor is a fake? Are you sure that brake shoe looking set up is not the "secondary" that drives the tranny/drivetrain?

The primary always is the clutch on the motor. Its most always the front smaller clutch.

That's not in my quad. I have a belt drive which has a primary and secondary clutch. The primary is what I have of right now and have questions about
The guy has the primary off aready he must know what it looks like.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks like you have the brake shoe 2008 Suzuki KingQuad (LT-A450X) TRANSMISSION (1)(MODEL K7/K8/K9) | Babbitts Online assembly as Merryman mentioned (#25 in link) but it is tucked behind the Secondary not the Primary .

So my answer stands, the primary should be smooth like in above video and the crank it slides onto should have no play.

I must admit Suzuki has a odd one of a kind Secondary set up with that friction brake shoe assembly.

Quick Reply: 07 450 King Quad clutch plate wear