Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark

does anyone have a cdi box for a 2000 grizzly?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default no spark

are you sure that the cdi box has gone bad? its not the coil,fouled pkug,fuse or one of the many other things...let me know whats happening please

Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default no spark

i brought the coil to the dealer, a friend works there and he said it"s fine. the pickup coil was bad ,but i put a new one in and still has no spark.i ck'd the sorce coil and it ck"s ok. the battery is ok and the fuses look ok.i also unplugged the kill switch, and still no spark. the friend that works at the dealer says thats the only thing left. is there a ck for the cdi box? please advise thank you for responding.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default no spark

It looks like it is near the rear fender right under the seat on the left side when sitting on the quad...Is you battery fully charged or can you try pull starting her to try and see if it works also is your plug fouled and when you are checking to see if there is spark are you grounding the plug meaning when you have taken the plug out and have it on the wire do you have the plug grounding/touching the frame or your engine because if not then it will not spark

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fich...=363&year=2000

Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default no spark

i'M A CAR TECH I WORK IN A DEALERSHIP.THE PLUG IS NEW,THE BATT IS IN GOOD SHAPE,I"M TRYING TO FIND OUT IS THERE A TEST FOR THE CDI BOX TO SE IF IT"S GOOD?

Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default no spark

well just to let you know some people don't have knowledge on these types of things so thats why I figured I would elaborate on the subject to make sure you have check everything else out and it is disrespectful to type in caps just to let you know...now if you aren't getting any spark it could only be a few things and the cdi is one of the things left besides the cdi and key switch but you said they were fine...I would check to see the resistance of the cdi and see if it check out to be what stock puts out I couldn't tell ya since I don't have a grizzly so i don't now what the stock resistance is but the local shop should know...and I am assuming you checked everything else out so I won't even go and tell you symptoms or anything else it could be I will cya and good luck with your problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default no spark

i"m sorry for the caps, fat fingered the caps key,i didn"t want to be desrespectful.i was just wanted to tell you that i know how to ck most of the stuff that could cause lack of spark.i just don"t know how to ck the cdi box.i"m sorry and thank you for trying to help,it is always welcome!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default no spark

To check the cdi on take a multimeter and set it on ohms then check to see the resistance of the cdi to see if it meets correct stock settings I believe you connect it to the cdi output and ground the unit using the black wire or neg on the meter and then let the engine crank over seeing if the engine is putting out anything...The prob is that there could also be a few other things that it could be like the rectifier,stator,killswitch,or if there is some wire for the 4x4 that is off or messed up it could be confusing the electrical...to check to see if the stator is bad disconnect the 3 yellow wires on the rectifier and see if the quad will start and if it does then the stator needs to be replaced

Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default no spark

thank you i"ll try it tonight.