1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

"New" Kazuma Meerkat

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Well thats a bummer.. do you have a fuel filter? I cant remember..
No, no filter. I did wash the tank when I got it and strained the fresh gas going in. I have some fuel line and will add a filter this week. It's working anyway. It was below freezing and the carb needed adjustment for the cold. A little fooling with the mixture and it's idling fine.

Funny thing is, my 6 year old, who is too big for it, [I likened the sight of him on it to a tugboat...all superstructure, no hull] did really well. My 4 year old scared himself [I forgot to turn in the throttle screw] and didn't want to ride it anymore. He's actually more upset that we were yelling at him to get off the throttle. Poor kid. I asked my 6 year old to talk to him about it. Big brothers have a way of getting through. You know like, "stop being a little baby and get back on the thing, dummy." Actually he's pretty good to him.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea. thread has gone in a few directions for sure...
Well that is cause you go off riding at the park and let us maniacs take over the asylum.

Looked a little muddy out there yesterday but one hell of a crowd to make a statement, "we not goona take it anymore"!

I was ready to load it into the truck and could smell gas. Turns out the gas valve was dripping. The front face plate was showing a gap. I tried to tighten the screw [you all know where this is going] and lo and behold, the screw stripped...lol. I found a slightly more robust screw and fixed it. I went to fire it up again and, once again, it would not hold an idle. I could keep it running with a little throttle but, it would **** out.
You will find an extra box of nuts, bolts, and washers along with a tube of JB weld will become your greatest assets in the toolbox. I can't tell you how many times something has stripped or nut fell off or something needed a more meaty bolt to secure something.

I got a bunch of plastic flapping as well from various cracks and took a hard look at the plastic welder at Harbor Freight. I think you can do a decent permanent repair with one if you got the touch down.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by windtrader
Well that is cause you go off riding at the park and let us maniacs take over the asylum.

Looked a little muddy out there yesterday but one hell of a crowd to make a statement, "we not goona take it anymore"!

You will find an extra box of nuts, bolts, and washers along with a tube of JB weld will become your greatest assets in the toolbox. I can't tell you how many times something has stripped or nut fell off or something needed a more meaty bolt to secure something.

I got a bunch of plastic flapping as well from various cracks and took a hard look at the plastic welder at Harbor Freight. I think you can do a decent permanent repair with one if you got the touch down.
LOL.. As I mentioned, I'm a boat guy. That is the same equipment I use to keep the boats going. I have enough nuts, blots and screws to sink a vessel if they were put on board at the same time. The added bonus is, it's all stainless. Great for areas that don't need strength, ie; fenders, brackets, etc. We live on salt water and straight steel doesn't have a chance in the hot humid air. Everything is marine grade.

Right around the corner is a steel fabrication shop. Anything that snaps is a 12-pack away from fixed. Two of the guys who work there keep their boats at my dock for free... They'd be thrilled that I brought them an ATV since I "went to the dark side" and got away from fishing boats to sailboats..."blow boats." They see me coming with a stanchion from a sailboat and roll their eyes. I show up with a quad and they'll throw a party...lol Good bunch of guys either way.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Geoff_NJ
Funny thing is, my 6 year old, who is too big for it, [I likened the sight of him on it to a tugboat...all superstructure, no hull] did really well. My 4 year old scared himself [I forgot to turn in the throttle screw] and didn't want to ride it anymore. He's actually more upset that we were yelling at him to get off the throttle. Poor kid. I asked my 6 year old to talk to him about it. Big brothers have a way of getting through. You know like, "stop being a little baby and get back on the thing, dummy." Actually he's pretty good to him.
Yeah kids arent rational sometimes. When my son turned 7 I bought him a JR50 to get his feet wet on 2 wheels (he already had an ATV). I knew that little 50cc wasnt going to last him long.....but he rode it all day, every day and got really comfortable on it. So 6 months later I buy him a Yamaha TTR90 - quite a bit bigger machine. He was all excited about it until I wanted him to ride it....he wouldnt do it....apparently he thought he was just going to "collect" that one (his words....) and not ride it. Not wanting to push him I let it set a couple days......at this point hes dwarfing the JR50 and riding it so hard into the corners that with his weight its literally sliding out from underneath him.....he went from wrecking maybe once every couple months to wrecking 2 or 3 times a day by over riding that little bike.

I just couldnt get it thru his head that the bigger bike would actually make him wreck less and it would be safer......so finally I made him ride it, it was the only way......he balled, he screamed, he wailed.....I made him ride 3 laps.....then he was right back to wrecking his JR50. I made him ride it more and more then finally just took the JR50 away. Im still convinced he would be riding that JR50 today if I hadnt forced him to ride the bigger bike. Now hes jumping and running that "big" TTR90 hard into the corners.....working real good for him.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

He'll get back on. He has to process it for a little while. I'll show him some videos of kids riding their little ATV's and he'll get motivated. Like I said, he was more upset by his mother's panicked yelling than anything.

Here's my older son on the Meerkat. No pics of my little guy yet.

And a picture of me adjusting it...lol.

(Take THAT you virus from hell....)

Last edited by Geoff_NJ; 12-29-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Chinese conspiracy against my laptop...and happiness.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry about this...I have some spyware issues with my laptop. Maybe we could get the Chinese to also design an anti-virus software that actually works...so they can kill the viruses they produce. &%#$#$*!!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

No, no filter. I did wash the tank when I got it and strained the fresh gas going in. I have some fuel line and will add a filter this week. It's working anyway. It was below freezing and the carb needed adjustment for the cold. A little fooling with the mixture and it's idling fine.

Get a filter...sediment lives in gas tanks..

Ahh poor little dude..nice to have a big bro at times like that.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by windtrader

going to go back on the 11th...( get ready to go off topic again)

Little muddy?? Heck no IT WAS PERFECT!!! .... Lots and lots of people...Id say 1/2 of them didnt even bring a dirt bike.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

Get a filter...sediment lives in gas tanks..

Ahh poor little dude..nice to have a big bro at times like that.
I will, I promise...wouldn't want to kill another Chinese quad, now would we...lol.

I did feel bad for him. He's usually my daredevil but today sort of struck a nerve with him. He was tired, the quad was a surprise and so was its quick acceleration. Most of his bravado is trying to top his over-achieving, big brother. Tomorrow my older one gors with his grandparents for a while. We'll have one-on-one time and he'll want to ride. If he doesn't, I won't force the issue. Maybe I'll take him out and get him stickers for his little quad so he can make it "his."

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe I'll take him out and get him stickers for his little quad so he can make it "his."
Im all about making kids days.....let me share a couple links with ya.

First is Barefoot MX Racing.

mx shirts - cobra 50 parts - mx tees - motocross graphics youth mx racing - barefootMXracing

This place is very children oriented....got some REAL cool shirts for my son here. They make custom printed T shirts with your sons name, number and a picture.....damn cool and excellent quality. They were a bit pricey on the shipping so dont order just one.....order atleast two or three to make it worth while.

Here is the link to the custom shirts:

atv - MOTOCROSS quad PIT CREW SHIRT

....but they make stickers and shirts for mom and dad too....great stuff.

Here is my son wearing one of his:

Another place that kicks *** for gear is Dennis Kirk - at the end of the year they clearance out last years designs DIRT cheap.....they practically give the stuff away. Its the only way I can clothe my kids in decent gear.

Jerseys are $4 each.....gloves $4 each and pants are $12 a pair.....and this is legit gear.....the pants have hip protectors, leather lined on the inside....the jerseys the same way.....real good stuff by Thor and the like. I only buy at the end of the year.....and at $4 each I buy jerseys for my son to wear to school just for shirts.......at that price you cant beat them and they look cooler then a $4 shirt from WalMart.

This is him wearing his SHIFT gear from last year.....his new stuff is Thor. I also bought him some used boots off Craigslist....worn only once for $40....but he doesnt wear them often.

As for the stickers....my son picked a number - 7 for his age when he first started REALLY riding.....and I picked the same, he really liked that.....we each have a quad and a dirt bike.....and he also has a kart.....I put 7 on all our stuff and he likes it.....as you can tell from the custom shirt. Got the vinyl stickers off eBay for a little of nothing, although now a local places makes them for me.

I also am in pretty good with the owner of the local motorcycle shop and he snags bunches of stickers from Klotz, Tusk, ONeal, SunStar etc out of the performance parts and such for me....Ive got a decent surplus and I would be glad to send some your way if your sons wants some for his quad.....just drop me a shipping address and I will send them off......no charge, except maybe a picture of a happy kid riding a quad.

I try to make it as fun and laid back as possible.

Quick Reply: "New" Kazuma Meerkat