1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

"New" Kazuma Meerkat

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I cant stop laughing at the thought of the Chinese making a adult ATV that could compete with the Japanese.

Heck they cant even make a reliable kids quad, and provide reliable parts and reliable service yet...

Old 12-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
I cant stop laughing at the thought of the Chinese making a adult ATV that could compete with the Japanese.

Heck they cant even make a reliable kids quad, and provide reliable parts and reliable service yet...
Speaking of which... The first kids quad I saw was a Sundiro 90 Ridgerunner. I believe 2002. The guy only wants $150 for it (says it runs pretty well) but it has no fenders. I couldn't find anything on this machine except for a few engine parts. The company went under a few years ago, the engineers (I think) went to Kasea and there are no surplus parts to be found.

When I was a kid I bought a Fox (?) mini motorcycle. I think it was from Germany. There wasn't a part to be found... in the days before the internet that is.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
I cant stop laughing at the thought of the Chinese making a adult ATV that could compete with the Japanese..
I'm just a beginner at this having been out of it since the day of the 3-wheeler, but there's no disputing what you say. Again, almost every Chinese ATV discussion seems to get caught in this same endless loop. For example, what would you consider an adult Chinese ATV; This liquid cooled 300cc?

From the looks of it, something like this is 2 grand brand new. I just don't see why anyone would EXPECT this to compete with a $4000-7000 new comparable Honda, Kawi, Yami or otherwise? $2K vs. say $6K.

Joel

Old 12-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
I'm just a beginner at this having been out of it since the day of the 3-wheeler, but there's no disputing what you say. Again, almost every Chinese ATV discussion seems to get caught in this same endless loop. For example, what would you consider an adult Chinese ATV; This liquid cooled 300cc?

From the looks of it, something like this is 2 grand brand new. I just don't see why anyone would EXPECT this to compete with a $4000-7000 new comparable Honda, Kawi, Yami or otherwise? $2K vs. say $6K.

Joel
I agree but they do.....generally not people like us, but people do. People not in the know think wow, I can get a NEW 4 wheeler.....that will be great, far better than some used, scratched up ATV. In reality its almost never as good.....but hey, live and learn.

I ride with a guy that has one very similar to above....dont know the model as I havent given it a moments glance, it does nothing for me. All I know is its 2wd and its either 250cc or 300cc....dont remember which. He hasnt had much more than the "normal" China wheeler problems.....but its about helpless. He cant go anywhere on the thing.....gets stuck easy and when it does I can drive around him with ease. Im out bombing around in a foot of snow......hes stuck right out of the garage. We go up hills......he runs out of steam.....I drive right past. Its pretty pathetic. Would be great for mostly level dirt ground.....but then that doesnt really make it an ATV does it.....more like a YTV.....Yard Terrain Vehicle.

Im riding a $700 used Honda made in 1994........that really doesnt make that $2000 ATV a bargain if it cant keep up with a 15 year old used Honda.....a 200cc little Honda at that (its one of those Fourtrax Type IIs).

.....and thats why I dont think those Chinese ATVs make ANY since for adults at any price really......they dont perform even the equivalent of their price. Maybe the 4x4 China wheelers get around better......but then again I doubt they get around as well as a good used Japanese ATV half its price.

I know a guy thats pretty unhappy with a 400cc Tank 4x4 ATV.....Im sure most of us have read that tread.

I think Im going to start referring to China wheelers as YTVs from now on.....I kinda like that.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, going way OT here, but IIRC, I paid $2K for a few month old Yamaha 225 DX 3-wheeler back in 1985 (I was 15 at the time). That's a lot a money now IMO. A crap load back then!

Joel

Old 12-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I'd put this Chinese "YTV" below up against any Honda TRX 200 "in the snow lol !!

One word "TIRES" ... make all the differance.

It came with little low profile grips good for a dirt track or something and lots of fun doing donuts....but useless in the snow!

These are 20" tires a bit taller then stock so we lost a bit of bottom end but with a 100-130lb kid on it doesn't cause any grief. It still climbed hills in the gravel pits with me on it that were plenty steep!

Last winter before I got the 350 4x4 I drove my old Honda TRX 250 and junior followed with the 150. Well one night it was tough going up this snowy incline, I ended up getting off and pushing mine along, thinking great I'll have to go back down and get the kid too. Well he burns right past me and I ended up following him up the hill!! Junior thought it was funny... I didn't! I told him he had a wieght advantage (lighter) and and a bit more ground clearance.

I'm Giving it a winter tune up as of late, other pick is of the cvt.

Attached Thumbnails "New" Kazuma Meerkat-jet-20x9-9.jpg   "New" Kazuma Meerkat-img_1456-1.jpg  

Last edited by Sawyer; 12-27-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Hey I'd put this Chinese "YTV" below up against any Honda TRX 200 "in the snow lol !!

One word "TIRES" ... make all the differance.

It came with little low profile grips good for a dirt track or something and lots of fun doing donuts....but useless in the snow!

These are 20" tires a bit taller then stock so we lost a bit of bottom end but with a 100-130lb kid on it doesn't cause any grief. It still climbed hills in the gravel pits with me on it that were plenty step!

Last winter before I got the 350 4x4 I drove my old Honda TRX 250 and junior followed with the 150. Well one night it was tough going up this snowy incline, I ended up getting off and pushing mine along, thinking great I'll have to go back down and get the kid too. Well he burns right past me and I ended up following him up the hill!! Junior thought it was funny... I didn't! I think he had a wieght advantage and and a bit more ground clearance.

Giving it a winter tune up as of late, other pick is of the cvt.
If you were nearby I would take you up on that.....

buddy weighs in at 180lbs.....Im sure he has whatever tires came on his new atv but its a utility ATV, not a sport ATV so Im sure they arent low profile dirt track tires.

I weigh in at 325lbs......and mine has some half worn Cheng Shin Lumberjack style tires.....they are older so that may not be the name on them but thats the style.

His may get around good if he dropped more money in it.....but fact remains his stock new China wheeler vs old used Honda with half worn tires (at 1/3 of the price).....its a joke.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

But the folks couldn't stop laughing when someone said, "The Japanese are gonna make motorcycles better than those from Europe (Britian, Germany, Italy, etc.)" A few years later all they were breathing was from Japanese bikes who were smoking them on every track they raced.

Again, only ten years ago or less, who wouldn't let out a howl if you said a Hundai or Kia was seriously a car that a previous luxury car owner would consider. It is true today. These Korean brands are now beating Japanese in the consumer reports. It is no laughing matter.

Actually I remember when the Hundai's first came out over here. I worked on Hundai's too when I was an Auto tech years back. They were a cheaper car thats for sure. Now though you are right the I think have one of the best warranties. But they are not cheap anymore either!

Last edited by Sawyer; 12-27-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
If you were nearby I would take you up on that.....

buddy weighs in at 180lbs.....Im sure he has whatever tires came on his new atv but its a utility ATV, not a sport ATV so Im sure they arent low profile dirt track tires.

I weigh in at 325lbs......and mine has some half worn Cheng Shin Lumberjack style tires.....they are older so that may not be the name on them but thats the style.

His may get around good if he dropped more money in it.....but fact remains his stock new China wheeler vs old used Honda with half worn tires (at 1/3 of the price).....its a joke.

Ahhh you see you have the same brand of tires as my 150 has! NO wonder it goes in the snow good lol!! We have them Cheap Cheng Shin tires on it. They are a soft knobby tire. The old Honda TRX 250 had the same tires on it but bigger of course. My old ATC 200 actually had the same style of tread from the factory.

I wouldn't drop $3k or whatever on any 2 wheel drive chinese atv either!! Thats why I bought the used 2005 250EX we have now (Hey that reminds me what would one of these sell out your way??). However I did just drop $275.00 (ouch!) on new rear tires for it!! I couldn't find any Cheng Shin's the right size or much of any tire for that matter. Ordered in some ITP star tracs for it. They seem to work pretty good too even though they are a stiffer tire. They are a radial and I'm told they will last a lot longer.

I'm gonna have to take a video of the 150 in the snow to show what it can do!

Enjoy the snow!

Attached Thumbnails "New" Kazuma Meerkat-img_1421.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Ahhh you see you have the same brand of tires as my 150 has! NO wonder it goes in the snow good lol!! We have them Cheap Cheng Shin tires on it. They are a soft knobby tire. The old Honda TRX 250 had the same tires on it but bigger of course. My old ATC 200 actually had the same style of tread from the factory.

I wouldn't drop $3k or whatever on any 2 wheel drive chinese atv either!! Thats why I bought the used 2005 250EX we have now (Hey that reminds me what would one of these sell out your way??). However I did just drop $275.00 (ouch!) on new rear tires for it!! I couldn't find any Cheng Shin's the right size or much of any tire for that matter. Ordered in some ITP star tracs for it. They seem to work pretty good too even though they are a stiffer tire. They are a radial and I'm told they will last a lot longer.

I'm gonna have to take a video of the 150 in the snow to show what it can do!

Enjoy the snow!
One of a few 250EX ATVs within 1 hour drive from me:

2007 Honda 250 ex - $1950 (Norwalk,Iowa)

Date: 2009-12-14, 6:26PM CST
Reply to: sale-kmtrt-1510364072@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I am selling a 2007 Honda 250ex for 1950 or best offer. This a great starter four wheeler for a kid that wants to start riding. It runs and drives great. The only problems that it has wrong with it is that the plastic is scratched up a bit but other wise than that it is a great four wheeler. If interested you can email me at d_rus@hotmail.com or feel free to give me a call on my cell phone at 641-780-2410.

As for the tires.....mine look ALOT different.....here is what my tread pattern looks like.

Kinda blurry....but you get the idea.

Goes like hell in the snow and doesnt do damn bad in the mud either. Since this picture Ive scored some used 80% tread Dunlop KT331s for the front.

These are usually about $60 each......I bought the set with 80% tread for $50 on Craigslist......my front were bad enough I had to let off the throttle to steer - thats no longer a problem.

Quick Reply: "New" Kazuma Meerkat