1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No spark - kids upset

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

turned out the stator was dying so i replaced it and the machine started right up! it turned out the trigger was burnt out and just after replacing it I've flipped it once and rolled it once no major damage just some scrapes. thats why u wear protective gear!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I was talking to the guy that started this thread, the one down under. But I am happy for you. Take care of yourself. The best piece of protective gear you have is your brain. In most cases anyway.
Good Luck

Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

never go riding without your helmet!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

armagh,

thanks for the concern. I don't know why but I haven't been getting any messages saying that this conversion had continued. So I was waiting till I had some more news to post.

But yesterday i got another CDI from a different source and blew it up too. But this time something else happened as well, which I don't understand.

This time I had the bike running a I turned the ignition switch off and a fuse that is connected to the battery blew. It was a 20Amp fuse. This stopped the lights and starter motor. I replaced the fuse which fixed the lights and starter but now the CDI is dead.

It seems as though the charging circuit and the CDI power or trigger coils are shorting, maaaaaybeee.... I don't understand it at all. The fuse shouldn't have anything to do with the CDI, or so i thought.

This is getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to bell out all the wiring to see what is going on. I have a drawing that someone else posted here so I'll start with that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, because I'm nearly out.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

here is a wiring diagram that I found in another post here. it may help someone. The fuse that blew is in the right top corner, I'm just not sure if the rest of the wiring matches yet, but I'm sure it'll be close.

Name:  quadwiring.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  68.1 KB

Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

Hey,
Just so it would be easier Could you start a new thread and recap everything that has happened and everything you have done and where you are now?

It gets crazy going from page to page on this thread trying to find everything that has been tried.

Title it "Electrical Madness" or something . Lynn will pick up on it when you start it and I will look for it.
This thread just got too long and then that other guy got on it with his problem, it gets/got confusing.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I see some problems with the wiring diagram. Note how the kill switch pin on the CDI needs to be connected to ground to get the CDI to make spark. This is backwards from the generic 5 pin CDI which requires the kill pin to be open to get spark (connecting it to ground kills spark).

You can tell this because all the switches in the diagram are in series (wired nose to tail - one after the other in a string). That means they all must be closed for something different to happen (i.e. make a spark). The default condition is for any one of them to be open, or more then one (which of course must be the "kill spark" condition).

The generic chinese 5 pin CDI has all the kill switches wired in parallel (wired side by side). In order for anything different to happen all the switches must be off (open). If any one of them (or all of them) are closed the spark is inhibited.

This has nothing to do with your CDI blowing up, I just wanted you to not put too much credence into that wiring diagram

Originally Posted by kazafog
here is a wiring diagram that I found in another post here. it may help someone. The fuse that blew is in the right top corner, I'm just not sure if the rest of the wiring matches yet, but I'm sure it'll be close.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

thanks Lynn I didn't notice that as yet, I just thought this might be helpful to some.

By the way I took armagh's advice and started another thread. I copied the main points from this one just to shrink it a bit. As armagh suggested its called electrical madness-CDI testing.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

if you'd like to read the finish of this post please see

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...testing-2.html