1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

kazuma meerkat 50 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kazuma meerkat 50 problems

Hey everyone I am new to the site and have a problem with my son's kazuma. A friend gave me this quad not running. I have completely broke the quad down, cleaned all wire connections, cleaned carb, replaced gas tank, changed oil and spark plug. After doing all this, I applied power and starter turns but no engine turn over. What or where do I need to start?
Thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default momo1865

new to this site and no expert but between me and kids we have a few chinese quads. not saying it is the problem but we have found the CDI can give multi-funny problems. its cheap to give it a try. i keep some just for spares.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Momo1865,

Do you have spark? Pull the spark plug, hook it back up to the coil, and hold the plug threads against the engine. Set all kill switches to the 'run' position, and crank the starter motor. Do you see spark?

If you see spark, then spoon in 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole. Put the plug back in and try to start again. Does it fire at all?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

I was just looking for info on Kazumas because I found one on Craigslist. A search popped up a link to a US Consumer Protection article stating they should not be ridden due to safety concerns, and that Kazuma was refusing to cooperate with USCP. They recommended demanding a refund and removing it from use immediately. It was dated 2007. Anybody know anything about this?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here's the Consumer Reports article.
Consumer Reports on Safety: Kazuma replies: Meerkat 50 just a toy ATV

I read it and it seems like a bunch of bs to me. My boys both started on Redcat MPX-50s which are the same as the Meerkat. All of what the CPSC says is true but, it doesn't paint the whole picture. At six most kids aren't strong enough to effectively stop an atv with a manual hand brake but, they can easily put all their weight on a foot brake. Yes, they can be started in gear but, with a 49cc engine it's not going anywhere on it's own. As far not having a parking brake, are they serious?

Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

that wasnt the same thing I read, I only read the CPSC part. It was good to read the company response. I would agree that the bigger machines are far more dangerous. Apparent from the tone of the article the writer is against atvs anyway. I recently saw a 6 y/o girl riding a grizzly at speed without a helmet. Parents with no brains whatsoever is whats getting kids killed, not little 50s.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's just like everything else in this country today. Nobody feels the need to take responsibility for their own actions. I had one bad thing happen to one of ours. The throttle came apart. I blame this more on myself and the dealer than anybody. The throttle cable retaining ring started to wiggle loose. As it did the bike got faster and faster. I thought it was the boy hot ******* through the yard so I gave him a time out. I went over grabbed his bike and fired it up and the retaining ring came completely off. Next thing I knew it had drug me about 20 feet and threw a barbed wire fence. Moral of the story, listen to your kids when they say it's getting faster all on it's own.

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

The Meerkat has been discontinued and replaced by the Wombat long ago.

The Wombat has front brakes and will NOT start in gear. I have both a Meerkat and Wombat - both are great quads that shouldn't be avoided just because the CPSC got their panties in a wad.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

momo....

You need to do some basic diagnostics.....are you getting spark, check per the poster above.

Are you getting fuel? Check to see if the plug is getting wet.

Is the air filter plugged?

Air, fuel, spark......timed correctly with compression is all you need.