1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TAO TAO 110 cc electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAO TAO 110 cc electrical issues?

first off i want to say great forum.

here is the issue. pulled out the quad today and the boy was super excited to ride today. put the key in, try to fire it up, acting like the battery was low. starter really didnt want to crank over. pushed it over to the car to jump it. hook it all up. starts up i disconnect everything and put the seat on and then stalls out ( usually does when not warm) (usually starts right up with the starter at this point) boy has his helmet on, go to start it up and nothing. no lights or anything. HMMM! chedck the fuse all good. check the battery and im getting funny readings. I disconnect it and clean and check the terminals. check it again reads 12.45. go to reconnect it and check it 12.45 connected. turn the ignition key on and the voltage drops all the way down to .08 Im lost at this point. no lights no turn over no nothing. granted this thing has all the "safety amenities" that i know need to come off. Im wondering if anyone ever drew up a basic wiring diagram I could look at..? If not I just want to rewire all this. it was just running perfect a couple days ago and I know its the shotty wiring. so i just want to hook up the starter have the key on/off and the kill switch and tailight and ignition of course. whats the best way to start? should i just cut away all the uneccessary stuff? and this has the remote kill and all that. I wanna do away with all that also. the boy is good at riding it now. really not necessary.

THANKS

Curt

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 222CT
...pulled out the quad today and the boy was super excited to ride today. put the key in, try to fire it up, acting like the battery was low. starter really didnt want to crank over. pushed it over to the car to jump it. hook it all up. starts up i disconnect everything and put the seat on and then stalls out ( usually does when not warm) (usually starts right up with the starter at this point) boy has his helmet on, go to start it up and nothing. no lights or anything. HMMM! chedck the fuse all good. check the battery and im getting funny readings. I disconnect it and clean and check the terminals. check it again reads 12.45. go to reconnect it and check it 12.45 connected. turn the ignition key on and the voltage drops all the way down to .08 Im lost at this point. no lights no turn over no nothing....
If you have 0.08 volts right on the battery terminals when the ignition switch is on then your battery is bad or completely discharged. A good fully charged quad battery can put out 40 amps and maintain at least 11 volts. You said your fuse is good. Since your fuse didn't blow we can safely say that you battery isn't being shorted out by something on the other side of the ignition switch. Besides, a good fully charged battery that is shorted out through the ignition switch without a fuse to protect the wiring will result in instant fire. You aren't reporting flames and smoke, so that further points to a bad or discharged battery.

So if you go back to jumping the quad battery to the car, does the quad starter crank? If yes, then you have a bad or discharged battery.

So do you jump your quad a lot? Leaving a quad sit with a discharged battery will quickly ruin the battery. Batteries must be kept charged or they sulfate up and are ruined. Probably your charging system is not working, and ignoring that leads to dead batteries, followed by ruined batteries.

...granted this thing has all the "safety amenities" that i know need to come off. Im wondering if anyone ever drew up a basic wiring diagram I could look at..? If not I just want to rewire all this. it was just running perfect a couple days ago and I know its the shotty wiring. so i just want to hook up the starter have the key on/off and the kill switch and tailight and ignition of course. whats the best way to start? should i just cut away all the uneccessary stuff? and this has the remote kill and all that. I wanna do away with all that also. the boy is good at riding it now. really not necessary.
Wow. That sounds like a lot of work. Why not just fix the problem with your charging system? Disabling the safety stuff won't change anything except make it more dangerous, and if you screw up the wiring you'll end up worse than before. Your problem doesn't sound like it has anything to do with safety interlocks.

One exception, though: The remote module can easily be disabled. Just unplug it. You'll have to kill the engine with the handlebar kill switch instead of the ignition switch, but other than that the quad will work the same (except the remote functions of course).

Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

yep it goes all the way down to .08 volts when the key is turned. turn the key off and it goes back up to 12.45. batteries kill me. no i didnt try and jump it again. i guess i should have. or tried the chopper battery cause they are the same size. but when i checked the voltage it said 12.45 so i called it good. so the other day the kid did leave the key on for.....a day i suppose... cause he wanted to ride and i looked and i said hey you left the key in it and its on! so we jumped it yes and away he went.....yes its been jumped over jumps and jumped off the car especially when it got cold this last year. seemed we were jumpin it every ride. but after jumpin it and when its warm it will start every time. i figured the battery was giving and as i said i didnt jumop it again and i knew i should have just threw the chopper battery in to try. well i suppose your right but im pretty good with wiring. at least wiring a 70s cb 750 chopper. its all part of learning and theres a couple parts on this quad that i dont know what they do or what they are. like that cdi thing in that other thread. and i did a couple of your tests and i got good kill switches but no power from acc to ground. i turn the key and nothing happens. same with the other one i forget what now but it dont get any power either. i was thinking it could be the solenoid but ya maybe battery. ill throw the chopper battery in and see what happens. i dont think its the charging system. i mean when he rode it at night when its gunned the lights are real bright and when at idle they dim....seemed normal....chopper does the same thing....but i havent done the light test this year lol he hasnt had it out at night so far.

thanks for helping me along to hash this out.

Curt

Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok. I didnt rip anything out yet. I put everything back i messed with rolled it out to be jumped off the car. Fired right up on the first crank and ran and idled. so i ran back and grabbed my elec tester to test the charging status. ad idle its reading about 12 13 14 to 15 volts. rev it up and.....the numbers jump all the way to 19 plus till it reads just 1. ( is that infinite..?) keep revving it and it drops down to 12 13 or so on the down rpms and on the rev up jumps up again steady to 19 to 1 and holds at one. so I suppose this is pointing to the regulator? do these things have a unit reg rec or is it a 2 piece. a separate reg and separate rec? I see one thing that looks like a unit reg rec.

on a separate chopper issue...my bike had a unit reg rec and it fried. so i went to a 3 phase rec i got from ebay for about 15 bucks and its heavy duty 80 amp and im usung a 70s ford regulator. and it works pretty good.

what phase is the charging system on these here quads?

I guess illl just get a replacement stock type thing i guess.

What do you say..?

and thanks.

Curt

Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Electrical Expert

ok. I didnt rip anything out yet. I put everything back i messed with rolled it out to be jumped off the car. Fired right up on the first crank and ran and idled. so i ran back and grabbed my elec tester to test the charging status. ad idle its reading about 12 13 14 to 15 volts. rev it up and.....the numbers jump all the way to 19 plus till it reads just 1. ( is that infinite..?) keep revving it and it drops down to 12 13 or so on the down rpms and on the rev up jumps up again steady to 19 to 1 and holds at one. so I suppose this is pointing to the regulator? do these things have a unit reg rec or is it a 2 piece. a separate reg and separate rec? I see one thing that looks like a unit reg rec.....
The charging system should put out 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC on the battery terminals with the engine running at medium fast speed with the headlights off.

A charging system that puts out 15 to 19 volts across the battery terminals has a bad voltage regulator, or a bad ground connection to the voltage regulator. And yes, the rectifier and regulator are integrated into a single unit called the voltage regulator.

A charging system that puts 19 volts across the battery at will wreck the battery in a short amount of time. So you have a bad battery, and you have a bad charging system. I'd check the ground to the regulator, and then replace the voltage regulator. Get the charging voltage within spec's, and then replace the battery. There is no sense changing the battery only to start damaging it right away with a bad charging system.

I've had really bad luck with cheap eBay 4 pin reguators. I would suggest spending a little more from a source that knows what they are selling.

....on a separate chopper issue...my bike had a unit reg rec and it fried. so i went to a 3 phase rec i got from ebay for about 15 bucks and its heavy duty 80 amp and im usung a 70s ford regulator. and it works pretty good.

what phase is the charging system on these here quads?

I guess illl just get a replacement stock type thing i guess.

What do you say..?

and thanks.

Curt
First, what is this "chopper" unit? It's great if you were able to get the charging system working. But how did you determine that? 13.5 to 14.5 volts on the battery terminals with the engine running. Less voltage means the battery isn't being charged right, and more voltage than this means your battery is being damaged over time. Note: It is OK for the battery charge voltage to be low at idle, or under heavy load. But on average the voltage must fall in that range to keep your battery charged up.

110cc quads have a singe phase charging system with one side of the charge coil grounded internally in the stator. The other side of the winding has two output pins, one with an AC voltage slightly above the other. The highest voltage tap runs the battery charge functions, while the lower voltage tap is meant to run AC powered lights (which on a lot of quads with DC powered lights is moot). Still, for the regulator to work right you must still have this lower voltage tap hooked up to the regulator.

A three phase rectifier is quite a different thing from a single phase rectifier. They are not interchangable.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok. ill check the ground. and i guess there no way to test the reg rec with say my electrical tester? to see if its good?

i think this was bad from the crate actually. the reg rec i mean.

good reputable seller for these things?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

how many amps would this Tao Tao rectifier be?

I think I am going to go and build my own regulator and rectifier like i did with my bike for my boys quad. that system works good...at least on my bike.

single phase rectifier

theres just no heatsink on that rectifer. so I can go ahead and use the old bunk reg rec. just take the guts out and use the heatsink. i figure 35 amp should be good.

regulator

I have this similar setup on my chopper. works good. at least i have never had a problem...yet. the regulator is the same. the rectifier is this one
the cb 750 has a 3 phase charging system. I havent taken the bunk reg rec off the quad yet to see if theres enough wires and what the wires are and all that jazz.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Electrical Expert

Wow. I've never seen one of those. But the tests to see if the battery is being charged correctly are still accurate - and the same for a quad, car, or anything that uses a lead acid battery.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert

ok. ill check the ground. and i guess there no way to test the reg rec with say my electrical tester? to see if its good?

i think this was bad from the crate actually. the reg rec i mean.

good reputable seller for these things?
Testing is easy. Unplug the regulator and measure the voltage coming out of the stator on both taps to ground while cranking the engine (kill switch on if the engine will start). One voltage will be slightly higher than the other. If the engine starts up the voltage will be significantly higher on both.

I don't have a 110cc machine so I don't know precisely what the voltages should be, but I would estimate they should be about 10 volts AC cranking and at least double that at idle (regulator disconnected).

As far as reputable dealers I have not found one from personal experience for these devices. If it were me I'd try Gary at Mainstreet (a new sponser of the chinese quad section). I've never dealt with him personally, but can say with confidence that the advice he has posted so far has been excellent and very knowledgable.

Quick Reply: TAO TAO 110 cc electrical issues?