1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New 110 Gio mini hummer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 110 Gio mini hummer

Hey everyone, thought I'd say hi, went looking last week and just picked up a new 110 Gio mini hummer for my Daughter for Christmas, I can't wait to see her reaction on Christmas day when she see's it, she is 5 now and started riding a 50cc mfc last spring, my boy will get that one now, anything I should keep an eye on or do before she rides it, any feed back or info on these little machines?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated, Thanks John

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Checkmate guy!

Id start by changing the oil.. Next buy some blue loctite.. Remove.. place some loctite on the screw.. and replace it.. Do this to every bolt/nut you can find that uses a Phillips screw driver, a 8, 10 or 12 mm wrench.. Id guess there are 50 or so.. Do not do this to any engine bolts..

I'd check the steering.. does the quad go straight when its pointed straight? If its not good adjust the tie rod ends.. Do the brakes work? Most need the chain loosened a bit..

Ill think of more stuff and add it as I go..

The blue loctite is key or the quad WILL fall apart..

Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

Add a fuel filter between the gas tank and carburetor.
Use 15w-40 oil.
Change spark plug to NGK-C7HSA gapped at .0027 inches.
Use ethanol free fuel if available in your area of the country.
Children should ALWAYS wear a helmet EVERYTIME.
Lastly, HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info guy's, I will get some loctite and do that, haven't had a chance to check steering or brakes yet as it's a Christmas present and I don't have it at my house yet, kind of hard to hide something that big

I will get the fuel filter and add it when I get the bike home and I already run ethanol free fuel in my boat so that won't be a problem to get.

I will have lots of time after Christmas to get it all done before the weather warms up enough so she can ride it. I hate this time of year, just winterized the boat and now time to hibernate.

Here's a few shots of my pride and joy, my neighbor bought it new and I spent many days when I was a kid wishing it was mine, finally got it 3 years ago when he got a new one, it's a 89' Checkmate Eluder with a 220 Mercury EFI, I gutted it last winter and spent many hours in the garage rebuilding it, it's a labor of love for sure.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a mini hummer, same colour as your picture, for my 8 year old boy. Got it about 10 days ago. They actually come with an inline fuel filter now.
Its running great but is not charging the battery. I'm awaiting a new stator under GIO warranty to fix that.
This is the second gio 110 I have bought for my son. The other is now 2 years old and still running fine. If you can possibly, then I would take delivery of it sooner, so you can check it out for a few days. I have found there were teething troubles to be ironed out with both of mine and you don't want to find those on Christmas day.

Yes change the oil first thing and then change it again a couple of hours use later. They are good little bikes.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 10mag
I have a mini hummer, same colour as your picture, for my 8 year old boy. Got it about 10 days ago. They actually come with an inline fuel filter now.
Its running great but is not charging the battery. I'm awaiting a new stator under GIO warranty to fix that.
This is the second gio 110 I have bought for my son. The other is now 2 years old and still running fine. If you can possibly, then I would take delivery of it sooner, so you can check it out for a few days. I have found there were teething troubles to be ironed out with both of mine and you don't want to find those on Christmas day.

Yes change the oil first thing and then change it again a couple of hours use later. They are good little bikes.
Thanks for the reply, I did decide to go get it and hide it at my buddies so I could check it out and do a few things, I did notice the inline filter too, it runs great and everything seems to work, I got it from a dealer not just mail order so they checked it out pretty good already and he said if there are any issues to just bring it back and he'll take care of it, I haven't drove it a whole bunch though because at 270lb's I don't want to kill it, I was planning on changing the oil last weekend and running it a bit but got preoccupied with my new toy .

I figured that since the kids are getting one Dad needs one too, we went to the snowmobile show friday night and they had quite a few quads there, ended up making a deal on a new 2011 Polaris 850 XP esp, little more quad than I was thinking but it was a great deal compared to the price of the smaller 2012's

Went and decked it out with all the goodies on Monday, now just need more snow to plow

My son loves it, daughter on the other hand doesn't like it, she say's she just wants the little blue one we looked at, lol.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Checkmate guy

My son loves it, daughter on the other hand doesn't like it, she say's she just wants the little blue one we looked at, lol.
Thats cool! She will be so happy when she gets it then.
Good to see you bought yourself a new toy too. It gives the kids something to aim for.

The mini hummer is certainly an improvement on the basic 110cc Gio we have had for the last couple of years. Although I have no complaints regarding the original. I had concerns that it would not be so different for my son but he really thinks its a step up with the larger wheels, front and rear rack etc.
One thing I would check is the sticky at the top of this forum regarding tuning the carb. Sometimes they can be hard to start or take a while to get off the choke in the Canadian winter. Lifting the needle in the throttle slide really helps these bikes out and saves your starter/battery a lot. Maybe your dealer already did this. Its easy to do but make sure when you start it after you replace the throttle slide that you start with the brake locked on or the wheels supported off the ground. If you put the slide in 180 degrees out of phase the throttle is held open. Check out the sticky.

cheers.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Range Rover

Once again thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if that was done or not, I started it once at around -5 celsius and it started fine, it will be stored in my heated garage so starting shouldn't be an issue except when we go to the lake, I'm pretty sure it will fit through the door on the cabin so I might just keep it in the living room when there

Where abouts are you from 10mag? just wondering since you made the Canadian winter reference.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm originally from the UK but now live in Quebec. Over ten years here, wow I'm getting old.