1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baja Wilderness 250 -New Battery - Blown Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Wilderness 250 -New Battery - Blown Fuse

Hi All!
I have a 2006 Baja Wilderness 250 that I bought for 200 bucks!, The issue is that it had no battery and would not shift. I repaired it by taking off the clutch and putting the shifting pin back in between the shift rod spring. Bingo runs great and looks brand new. I put a new battery in and within in a day or so the battery died. I did charge / setup the battery the correct way before installing it. I would just use the pull start, ran great for 9 months. Now wanting to put a winch on it , i got a new battery and charged / setup the correct way. When i put the new battery in hit the start button and it started up then i saw smoke coming up from the recitifier so i shut the ATV down ASAP. Looked it over and noticed the recitifier was hot. I let it cool down and tried to start the ATV again. no luck the fuse off the battery was blown. I then i replced fuse started the atv recitifer got hot again so i shut it down and again fuse blown. The will continue to happen..... Any help will be greatly appericated.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Before you even got to the "smoke coming out of the rectifier" part I was already thinking your regulator rectifier was bad. The rapid discharge of a new battery is a classic symptom of a shorted diode in the rectifier portion of the regulator/rectifier. The fact that it now smokes cinches it.

Change your regulator rectifier, and put in a new fuse. That should fix it.

The stator battery charge winding produces AC voltage and feeds it to the rectifier/regulator (R/R). The R/R is supposed to rectify the AC into to a DC voltage, and then regulate it to 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC.

There really isn't anything that can go wrong in the stator that would make a *good* R/R smoke. There's nothing about a battery that could make a *good* R/R smoke (with the possible exception of putting a battery in backwards - but then that would also mean you now have a bad R/R). Those are the only two power sources. There are plenty of things in a bad R/R that can make it smoke. So a R/R that smokes must be bad...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Thx Alot Lynn - do you recommend a place to buy the correct 6 wire R/R?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Electrical Expert

After a short search it looks like the Baja regulators are not the generic chinese variety, so you'll have to find one specific for your quad. For a quick check I went to Baja Motorsports and looked through their parts manuals. Then I copied the various part numbers into a google search engine. That should give allow you to find your particular regulator and give you multiple choices to buy from.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thx Lynn,
I got a R/R off ebay for a Yamaha TimberWolf. All 6 wires same colors (red,brown,black and 3 white) would it matter if the colors are different on the 2 bikes. I have been looking for a wire diagram for the TimberWolf to be sure I power the same components with the new R/R.. I was told that the Yamaha TimberWolf , Bear Tracker, and Bruin were basically the same as the Baja Wilderness.
thanks again !

Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Electrical Expert

Your stator is a 3 phase system since you have three wires to the regulator with the same color. So that accounts for the three white wires.

Of the other three you need a +12 volt output (tied to the battery through a fuse, or through the ignition switch through the fuse), a ground, and the auxiliary output.

I'm assuming that the red is plus 12 volts, the black is ground, and the brown is the aux output. This is just an educated guess. The aux output usually drives cooling fans or automatic choke (bystarter valve).

If the connectors match up and the wire colors match your chances of it being compatible are very high.

Note that this advice is for a six pin 3 phase regulator only where the connectors match and so do the wire colors. For those who are coming to this post later on through search engines with a four pin regulator - you have a *lot* of compatibility issues to deal with. That's a completely different subject.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

Put the new R/R on Battery seems to be holding a charge now. Just installed the winch. thx for your help with this.

Now to tackle the plow install.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Electrical Expert

Your welcome for the help. I'm glad your quad is working again