1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

One problem after another! AHH! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One problem after another! AHH! HELP

Hi all. It's not actually one problem after another. And once again i'm back posting yet again another thread for some useful info which i am positive i will find.

So the problem. I have a Kazuma 50cc Kids Quad. Bought it bare (no fenders, no seat), everything missing except for the wiring loom and the kill switch assembly and of course the motor and transmission were all there lol.

The wiring loom is a disaster. So i bought a new wiring loom. The problem is that the new one i bought is a bit different than the old one. Where the stator connects to the wiring loom, there is a white plug with another green wire i believe. The new wiring loom i bought does not have a white plug. Rather it has just all wires and connectors with the green obviously. Is it possible to just cut the white plug coming from the stator and just hard wire to the new loom? And if so how should i go about with that?

Next question is. I've looked on two different sites for stators because i believe the one in the quad now is bad. The sites show a completely different stator than what is in my quad. What's in the quad now is an 8 coil stator i believe. The ones i found on these two sites which just happen to be the exact same kind only have two coils and like i said look completely different. Any ideas?

Another question. Does the amperage of the battery matter in order to fire the quad? I bought a 12V 6A battery from a local battery warehouse. On these two sites i found that the amperage(s) are different. One being 12V 7A and the other being 12V 9A. Does that make any difference?

I know this may sound a tad confusing. I'm trying my best here lol. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennyboy000001
...The wiring loom is a disaster. So i bought a new wiring loom. The problem is that the new one i bought is a bit different than the old one. Where the stator connects to the wiring loom, there is a white plug with another green wire i believe. The new wiring loom i bought does not have a white plug. Rather it has just all wires and connectors with the green obviously. Is it possible to just cut the white plug coming from the stator and just hard wire to the new loom? And if so how should i go about with that?...
Yes you can cut off the connector and hard wire it. What are the colors out of the stator and what are the colors out of the wiring harness?

......Next question is. I've looked on two different sites for stators because i believe the one in the quad now is bad. The sites show a completely different stator than what is in my quad. What's in the quad now is an 8 coil stator i believe. The ones i found on these two sites which just happen to be the exact same kind only have two coils and like i said look completely different. Any ideas?...
First off why do you think the stator is bad?

How do you know your stator is eight pole? Have you had the flywheel off to see? The 6 pole, 8 pole, and 2 coil stators are not compatible at all. You must get one that matches your quad...

...Another question. Does the amperage of the battery matter in order to fire the quad? I bought a 12V 6A battery from a local battery warehouse. On these two sites i found that the amperage(s) are different. One being 12V 7A and the other being 12V 9A. Does that make any difference?...
That would be a 6 amp-hour battery versus a 9 amp-hour battery. Both will work fine as long as both will mechanically fit in the battery compartment.

Here is the difference between them:

Suppose your out in the woods miles from home, something goes wrong and your quad won't start....

1) With the 6 amp-hour battery you could crank your starter motor for a total of 9 minutes until the battery goes dead (pausing of course to let the starter motor cool). Then you walk back to camp.

2) With a 9 amp-hour battery you could crank your starter motor for a total of 13.5 minutes (one and a half times as long) until the battery goes dead (again pausing to let the starter motor cool). Then you walk back to camp.

The point is that if your quad doesn't start in 1 minute of cranking it isn't going to start period. So the guy with the 6 amp-hour battery gets a 4.5 minute head start walking home....

Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colors from stator are as follows:

yellow
black/red
blue/white
white
green as the ground

Color from new wiring harness are as follows:

yellow
black/red
blue/white
white
green as the ground

That seems pretty self-explanatory to me lol. Just wire all the same colors together right? Geez didn't realize my question sounded that dumb lol.

As for thinking the stator is bad. I've read a few threads on here about the stator going bad thus the quad not starting. And one thread i read mentioned that if the stator smells fried chances are it could be bad. I do not think i plan on buying one regardless just wanted to know why the one in the quad doesn't match the one these sites sell.

Yes, i have had the flywheel off to look at the stator it IS either a 6 or an 8 pole (it's been awhile since i've looked at it) rather than a 2 coil, that these 2 sites sell. Go Scoot Powersports & Buy Atvs Online - Chinese Atv Parts - Parts and Info Source for Chinese Atvs Go Karts and Scooters -

I realize i must get one that matches what is in the quad now but what i don't understand is why the one in the quad is for a 110cc rather than a 50cc (which the quad is a 50cc.)

Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just wire up the matching colors....

The stator has three functions:

1) Provide AC low voltage power to the regulator to keep the battery charged.
2) Provide moderately high voltage AC (50 to 300 volts AC based on engine speed) to power the CDI.
3) Provide a trigger pulse to tell the CDI when to fire the spark plug.

All of these can be measured with a meter - no need to shotgun the problem by guessing it's the stator and replacing it...

Note: Some quads have 12 volt DC powered CDI's. In this case the moderately high voltage winding in the stator may be absent....