1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New CDI...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Any in line automotive fuse will work. You can use the blade type (like in most cars now), or the 3AG type (glass cylinder anout 1/4 inch diameter and about 1 inch long). Also, if the fuse says 125 VAC or some other voltage rating that is OK. That's the maximum voltage it can safely interrupt. 12 volts is lower than that so it will be fine.

Usually the ignition coil is grounded by the mounting bolt. But sometimes there is also a ground wire too. Am I correct in assuming there are two wires at the ignition coil (ignoring the fat high tension lead to the spark plug)? If so measure the resistance of both those wires to the coil mounting bolt. One will read zero ohms, the other will read a low value like 0.7 ohms (but not zero). The low value terminal is the one that wires to the CDI ignition output. The zero ohm terminal goes to ground.
What about the amperage of the fuse?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Your answers are like boot camp!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

10 amps.

But out of curiousity what size engine is this? 150cc or 250cc?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Ok, I knew you were going to ask me... To be honest, it is a small 110cc(107cc) Tao Tao ata-110

Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Electrical Expert

Then make the fuse value 7 amps.

So is your stator actually DC only? (i.e. not the two coil version - with one coil for AC Ignition power and one coil for charging the battery)?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

Ok, it is the 2 coil version with a AC ignition coil and another coil for charging battery. I'm converting the AC ignition coil to battery charging coil thing...

Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Electrical Expert

Nope. This is not going to work at all. The AC Ignition power winding is *low current* and *moderately high voltage*. The battery charge coil is *low voltage* and *moderately high current*. Totally different...

They both put out "power" (measured in watts). Power is the product of voltage times the current, so both coils can put out equal power. But you need low voltage (i.e. 12 volts) at fairly high current to keep the battery charged. What are you going to do with the ignition power winding output? Several hundred volts at a few tens of milliamps (ten milliamps = 0.01 amps)? How are you going to convert that output to something the battery can use. You can't do this with creative wiring. This would require a conversion power supply (and lots of circuitry - and all the inefficiencies (losses) of power conversion as well).

This does not sound like a good plan to me .

Before I used an example of a 150cc GY6 machine when switched to a battery charge only stator from one with a AC ignition power pole. I stated that you might get a *slight* increase in stator output power. But in this scenario that we are now talking about (with a 110cc 2 pole stator), I would predict that you would experience a significant *loss* of power when switching your CDI to DC powered. In addition I worry that the losses may be so significant that you may not be able to keep your battery charged at all- in other words so much power is lost that the battery is constantly being drained of power.

There are ways to measure this after you wire it up - assuming you want to proceed. But I have to warn you before you start about the probable outcome. Sorry for the negative news... .

Old 06-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

Mighty LynnEdwards, I know what I am doing... I rewound both of the coils with 18 gauge wire(might be a little too big) and going to use a R/R. Of course the AC ignition coil is high voltage and the current is not that strong.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

Sorry for mistakes... I'm typing on an iPhone.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by cesar110
Mighty LynnEdwards, I know what I am doing... I rewound both of the coils with 18 gauge wire(might be a little too big) and going to use a R/R. Of course the AC ignition coil is high voltage and the current is not that strong.
Fair enough. I had no indication that you were rewiring the coils.

Quick Reply: New CDI...