1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao 125 rear brake switch replacement ?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 125 rear brake switch replacement ?

Anyone found a better solution to replace the rear brake switch ?

I've got 3 TaoTao 125 ATV's, and all 3 of them have rear brake switch issues.

One completely failed with wires ripped out (kid riding through brush), i rebuilt it, but it's not pretty and will probably fail again.

The other two need constant adjustment to keep working, it helps for them to have the lights on the rear foot brake, especially since the front brake is so hard for them to use, they mostly just use the rear brakes, and when you have 3 numnuts following each other who are still learning what a "following distance" is it helps to have working rear brake lights !

Just wondering if someone found a better switch and/or setup for these on the taotao 125's.

thanks
bob

Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a completely different chinese quad, but I went though the same thing. I was forever adjusting that foor lever switch, and it was forever being unreliable.

I did two things to fix this:

1) I bought a used brake switch on eBay from a 1970's Honda motorcycle and installed it. I think I had to do something to the spring - like stretch it a bit - so I could get the switch to be in the adjustment range.

2) I didn't like the amount of travel the switch went through when the pedak was pushed. So I added a hand formed aluminum bracket to the foot pedal assembly (that had he actuating lever that drove the brake switch) stick out a bit further. This increased the travel the brake switch actuating plunger went through.

Since then my brake switch has been 100% reliable.

I suspect this is not the answer you wanted . But it is the answer that worked for me.