1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

125cc Engine Binds After Full Turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 125cc Engine Binds After Full Turn

So this ATV ran great but had an oil leak at the engine back plate. The large o-ring behind the flywheel and starter chain and gears. So I took off the flywheel, starter gears and chain, and took this big round plate off with 2 torqued phillip screws and replaced the o-ring. After putting it all back together, the thing will not start and just turns over. It is getting spark and I would thing that it would at least do something to fire off. I took the plug out and smell gas.

I do not see how the timing could have been affected in anyway so I took of the round metal thing on the head and noticed the JD was not in the middle of the head bolts when the flywheel is at T on the top. I have absolutely no clue why the timing would be off like this as it ran perfect before taking the flywheel off.

So I made the marked all lined up but now the motor binds after 2 full revolutions. It is like the valves are binding with the piston or something. Mind you that the spark plug is not even in the hole. I am COMPLETELY stumped at this point. Any help someone could share would be more than appreciated!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You probably have the timing off by a full revolution and its contacting the valves.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the cam sprocket off with the 3 bolts. The binding is coming from the camshaft after a full revolution. I can force it by putting 2 of the screws in and use a screwdriver but it makes a click noise. I don't understand what could have happened with the valves and camshaft was working fine before.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"noticed the JD was not in the middle of the head bolts"

No idea what you are on about, but if you mean the piston isn't at TDC when the T mark is, you have put the flywheel on without the key, or the key has sheared and the flywheel moved, this would make the piston hit the valves with timing marks agreeing, as the T mark is now in the wrong place. You may need new valves now as hitting the piston usually bends them.