1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110CC Will not run

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110CC Will not run

Greetings all,

This is my first post on the is forum. I have a 110CC Tao Tao ATV I got for my boys and I cannot get the thing to run at all. I am no mechanical expert but I am skilled with electronics. Anyways, initially I had problems with the carb. Im assuming I left ethanol gas sitting in it too long and the jets got clogged. I realized they cut the screws off so you cannot clean yourself (at least not easily) and I let the thing just sit even longer. I got left out behind the shed with battery in it in the rain and I'm assuming that caused some more damage.

I've recently been trying to get it running again so I drilled out the screws of the carb and checked for any corrosive damage on the electronics and wiring. The solenoid was full of water put it was still picking and acting as a proper switch. I replaced the 12v 4.5ah battery with two 6v 4.5ah batteries wired in series because I just happen to have some of those at my shop. Try to get the thing started but I was just getting this continous faint clicking sound. Seemed like something was drawing too much current. Tried jumping out the solenoid but still nothing. I then believed the starter was bad, I couldn't get the armature to spin even putting 12v directly from + tab to case.

I then ordered a new starter on Amazon and while I was at it I ordered a new carb and spark plug. I put the new starter and carb on. Realized the new spark plug did not come pre-spaced and I don't have the tools to do that properly so I just spaced it the closest I could to the original and installed that as well. But not I am just getting a solid single clicking sound. I'm assuming the sound is just the solenoid picking. I looked up a video where the guy said if all you are getting is clicking then you could have a bad solenoid. I also read on a forum (maybe this one) that the problem could be a bad CDI.

So I ordered a new solenoid, 5 pin CDI, air filter and fuel filter. Put all these new parts on and still I just get the clicking and no attempt to turn over. Pretty much everything is new except the engine. Ive tried pulling out the spark plug and putting it in the boot to see if I get a spark but I get nothing. Only thing left I can think is wrong is that the fly wheel the starter motor is supposed to spin is jammed or stuck somehow? What is best way to check and fix that? Is there anything I am missing? I should add that the problem is not a kill switch.

Also I would like the know what this part is on the atv. Theres a metal piece mounted to the frame behind the front right tire. It is attached to a hose that has a black plastic cyclinder on it with a nozzle on top the has an opening that has some kind of brown papery material in it. I have no idea what the hell it is or if it broke off of something or thats how its supposed to be because it doesnt appear to be attached to any other part of the ATV but that is a secondary issue.

Thanks for time sorry so long.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I discovered a problem with the chain in the flywheel that was preventing the starter motor from spinning. Its now cranking but I am getting no spark. Replacing the spark plug has had no impact. The ignition coil seems to be potted and I am unable to really test it all i can say is the resistance between the two pins on it is reading open. I am not sure if that is correct or not. Any other ideas?

Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Fairly sure the coil should not be open circuit. However, there should be pulses of high voltage being sent to it from the CDI when the engine is being spun on the starter, this you can check for.

The paper element you refer to in the first post will be the air filter, many people disconnect them and fit a small filter on the back of the carb, doesn't matter as long as there is one, as Quads work in dust and dirt, so need some sort of filter.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with merryman. resistance between the primary coil terminals should be about 1-2 ohms. you might wish to check secondry coil resistance, should be in 5-10000ohm range. I would also suggest you check cdi earth is grounded. good luck