3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Help with my TaoTao ATA 110 ATV. PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with my TaoTao ATA 110 ATV. PLEASE

I bought a TaoTao ATA 110 ATV.

When I bought it the guy said it needs a new battery and the carburetor needs to be cleaned because it has been sitting for so long.

I took it home replaced the battery and bought carburetor and intake cleaner to clean my carburetor.

After I finished it put everything together and tried to start it, it just sounded like a car before it starts.

And it wouldn't start.

Then I decided to change the spark plug, and drain the oil and gas then refill it with bran new oil and gas.

Now when I try to start it, it sounds like it does when it has no spark plug in.

I assured the spark plug was connected and connected correctly.

I dont know what the problem could be. Please help.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooo pretty colors

it can be a hole bunch of things but you gotta answer some questions

1.does it have spark?
2.comp reading
3. 2 or 4 stroke

Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Reply to questions:

Yes it has a spark, I tried grounded it to something else and saw a spark.

Comp reading? Sorry clueless here.

And it is a 4 stroke.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

when i asked comp reading he was talking about the compresion whats it reading and how much psi you have

Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't quite know.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

you can check it your self or have some were check it for you if you dont have enough it wont want to start i dont know what its suppose to me but i know my 400 outlander is about 110psi and my 670 skidoo snow mobile is at 120

Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So the guy says that all you need is to clean the carburetor and replace the battery. I'm already suspicious, because a new carburetor costs about 30 bucks, and you can jump the quad battery to your car battery to get the quad to start.

Quads that run command a sale price much more than $30 over a non-running quad sale price. So if he knew what he was talking about he would have invested $30 to make a much fatter return on that investment.

Hence I too think that a worn out engine is a distinct possibility (maybe even probability), but I must say I'm a natural born skeptic when it comes to buying things. I'm always thinking the worst case scenario.

You cannot clean the carburetor by spraying cleaner into the intake. You *must* take the carburetor off and *completely* disasemble it. You must remove the jets and make sure you can see daylight through them. This is especially true for quads that have sat for extended periods, where the most volatile components of the gas mixture have evaporated away leaving behind varnish like compounds that stubbornly plug up the jet orifices.

A crude way to measure compression is to place your thumb over the spark plug hole and try to hold the compression in while cranking the start motor. You should not be able to keep your thumb over the hole. It should be forced off with a "pop" even if you push down with all your might. This is not the same as using a real compression gauge, but it is a data point to ponder. If you can hold the pressure in you've got some serious engine issues.

Try dumping 1/2 teaspoon of gas in through the spark plug hole. Then quickly reinsert the plug and crank the engine. Does it start up? (Briefly of course, til the gas is all burned).

Jaster94 in your duplicate thread suggested pulling the plug and looking to see if the plug is wet with gas after cranking awhile. This too is a good test to try.

You said something about "last time I checked it had spark...". Needing spark is pretty fundamental, so make sure you check again while your testing stuff with the plug out just to make sure you aren't fooling yourself .

Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

I know it sounds stupid. But.... If this is your first ATV, take a look at the orange 3 position switch on the handlebar. I didn't know what that did, and it took my neighbor a few mins to figure out I was an idiot.
For reference, the selector should be in the center click. (hint, they spring back to the center automaticaly, so move it all the way to the right then one click to the left)