Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 full engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 full engine rebuild

I brilliantly bought a non runner assuming it needed a top end. Finally got around to tearing it down today and the skirt on the intake side of the piston may as well have exploded. Metal down in the case.

I went ahead and tore the atv down and got the engine on the bench. I’m thinking it’d be smart to split the cases and replace the crank assembly and get a new top end. Are the wiseco jugs any good or do I need a donor? This jug is grooved so badly it’s not going to be reusable.

Does anyone make a good kit for the crank assembly? I’d rather not rebuild this crank but just replace it. I’ve been looking but not finding anything but top end kits.

I’ve got to get a two jaw pulller to remove the mag and after that I’d think I’d have it completely down in no time.

I am somewhat fortunate as I have 3 parts machines but I know nothing about them and hate to spend the time only to find bad bearings and seals or worse yet anyhow. I could tear one down to see if it’s cylinder could be bored if all the others are junk. Not looking at the $40 kits, but thought maybe the $200 or so wiseco kits maybe good to go?

Thank you all.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There is no Wiseco "top end". Those liars use a china cylinder and bore it to the max using a Wiseco piston. Junk imo. Get a OEM cylinder bored to the next size.
I use Suzuki crankshafts and parts.
Partshark.com has good prices.
FYI: boring and piston parts is around $170.
Getting it together with the crank straight can be a lil tricky. Maybe consider sending it out. I get $125 to rebuild the bottom end.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
There is no Wiseco "top end". Those liars use a china cylinder and bore it to the max using a Wiseco piston. Junk imo. Get a OEM cylinder bored to the next size.
I use Suzuki crankshafts and parts.
Partshark.com has good prices.
FYI: boring and piston parts is around $170.
Getting it together with the crank straight can be a lil tricky. Maybe consider sending it out. I get $125 to rebuild the bottom end.
Skip anything other than oem jug, got it. When you say assembling the crank straight is tough do you mean assembling the crank or putting it into the case halves? It looks like parts shark sells the crank assembly as a unit, that’d be the way to go in that respect I’m sure.

Any suggestions on a good puller for removing the stator?

Old 12-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Flywheel Puller/Primary Gear Extractor - Motion Pro Here is a proper puller.
What I meant was getting the motor together with the crank still straight. You must fit the bearings on the crankshaft first (I use sandpaper to clean the crank up) plus clean the locating holes out so that the cases slide together. I use heat to get the bearings in the cases.