Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Can you believe this plug?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to tell every one oe of the bigest improvments I have made for my Cat. I installed an NKG CRE8 spark plug on my Arctic Cat 500.
As soon as I installed it(which is a B*T*H), I could notice a lot better throttle responce as soon as I started her up. When I went for a ride I noticed that I was accelerating faster. Then I came to this ditch that I normally go threw in 2nd gear, this plug gave me enought power to go threw it in 3rd gear just as easy as I would have gone threw it in 2nd gear with my old CRE6.

I think this is the best bang for the buck mod I have ever done. Has anyone else tried it?

Old 06-25-2000, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

I put the same plug in mine about August of last year and I also had alot better trottle response. I got it at a local shop. It caught me offguard on the price though around $8.00(wew!)for one plug

Old 06-26-2000, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its a hotter plug. Also a must for anyone with a 454. It will really help your carbuerator problems. A CRE8-EK is another. Like a cold start plug maybe. I think I got a CRE8 last time out myself, basically because they didn't have the CRE6. I was looking for the CRE8 EK, but they didn't have that either. The plug did make the quad run better, but not anything to scream about. Thats why I'm slow to look at a jet kit and filter. If its just a small gain, I don't know if it would be worth the money to me. If the pipe changes things a lot, I might someday splurge for the whole setup.

Old 06-26-2000, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, I thought NGK plugs were cooler with ascending numbers.

That is, a D8EA, for example, would be a colder plug than a D7EA.

Thus, Boners' "CRE8" would actually be a COLDER plug than his "CRE6," instead of a hotter one as you suggest.

Seems like I read this information once on the NGK website. Or, am I mistaken (again)?

Tree Farmer

Old 06-26-2000, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

That's the way it is with the snowmobile plugs,
the BR9EYA is hotter than the BR10EYA, and the BR8ES is hotter than the BR9ES. But with these plugs who knows.

Old 06-26-2000, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

The lower # is definately hotter ... Bill

Old 06-27-2000, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, you are right. I think I heard that from some mechanic a year ago. Not a very reliable source. I did remember that the AC accessory catalog said something so I checked.
CR6E- standard replacement
CR7E- warm climate (thus not as hot)
CR8E- Hot climate (same principle)
CR8EK- to prevent plug fouling.

They put the CR8EK in the 454 to keep it from fouling plugs as often. The guy said it was a hotter plug. Like an idiot, I just took his word for it. As for any added perfomance with the colder plug, you will have to give me a lecture on plugs and stuff Tree Farmer. I don't understand all that much about them. I would assume that it would have to do with jetting and plug combinations. Tell me something about here so I don't spit out any wrong info in the future.

Old 06-27-2000, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Do the new plugs actually make that big of a difference? Do you have to adjust the carb or anything else with a different plug, or is it just a simple change out? Also, what are they considering a "hot" climate. I live out in Eastern Washington, and it is currently in the upper 90's, and will soon be well over the 100 degree mark. Would I be better off changing my stock plug with one of those NGK CR8E jobbers? Sorry to bother you guys, I don't understand how the plug will increase performance.

While on the subject, are those K&N kits worth the money? Aren't they just a new air filter and jet for the carb? Seems like an awful lot of money for that stuff which may or may not make a noticeable difference. How difficult is it to change out the jets on the carb? I've never torn into one before and wouldn't want to screw anything up. Is it better the dealer do it? How much better is the K&N filter than the new foam filter design on the '00 AC 500's? Just trying to decide on whether or not it would justify the price.

One more thing-a pipe would be nice to increase performance. However, I really don't want my 'Cat sounding like a 767 jet while running threw the woods. I kind of like how quiet it is now. I've seen those IDS2 Silencer options which claim to lower the decibel level, but by adding all the rings to the inside, wouldn't that just lower the flow rate, thus brining the "better" pipe back down to stock levels?

Sorry to bother you guys with this stuff, just wondering what the most economical option would be to add a little performance or make a smoother running machine. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Old 06-27-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

The plug is a straight bolt in. No other mods needed.

I found that it improved my cat's performance very noticablely.

For the temperatures you are talking about, I think it will be worth it for you.

Is the Jet kit for the manual shift model even out yet????? I know the one for the automatic is out.

The more disk on a muffler the more flow and noise. The less the number of disk, the lesser the flow and noise. More disk normally = more hp while leser disk = more torque.

Old 06-28-2000, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Boner:
Thanks for the info, I went out earlier today and bought a couple of the NGK CRE8 plugs for both my 'Cat and my dad's as well (retail price was $4.90 each!). Also went through and cleaned the air filters which were absolutely disgusting, checked oil and fluids, nuts and bolts, levers, pretty much everything else I could think of. UPS delivered the rest of my slime today, but I'll wait till friday to put that in, as I'll have to drive them for a while to allow it to do it's job on the inside of the tire.

As far as the plug goes, I'll let you know what I think after the fourth of July mini-vacation is over. Heading up to the property for 4 days of working and wheeling. Should be fun. I was curious though, is your 'Cat the manual? You said it was a "b_tch" to change the plug, and I was curious as to why. I've got the Auto 'Cat and it was really pretty easy to change mine out. I just pulled off the left side tank panel, and the plug was right there. Really quick and easy to do, so that was nice for a change.

Also thanks for clearing up the pipe. My thinking was backwards, as I assumed the disks would decrease the flow and HP. If the noise level isn't all that bad without the disks, and the torque is increased the most at that setting, that probably wouldn't be too bad for what I do-mostly work and hill climbing stuff. I don't do a lot of fast riding, so the HP wouldn't really be necessary, but rather the torque would be appreciated.

Anyhow, thanks again for the info, greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what I think of the new plug after the weekend is over.

Mike

Quick Reply: Can you believe this plug?