Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
.... Forrest Gump had it right about you guys.
Bear - ya gotta let the cheap remarks go right past you. Nobody changes anybodys mind in these forums - and nobody is going to make some punk kid a man that is respected by other men by telling him how stupid he is. You can even show them how stupid they are and they wont beleive what they see in the mirror.

You and I both know that the dissrespectful youth will never accomplish anything greater then their drivers license so please don't expect more then that. You and I may have done some pretty spectacular stunts in our time - but that was for our types - not theirs. We know to bow when passing the grave yard.

Some people watch things happen, Some people make things happen. Thats the way its always been.

If anything - at best you can only hope to awaken people to information they don't have - and pray that they are smart enough to change their own minds.

Ironic isn't it .
Yeah I know. But I'm bored today as I didn't get to go ride as the weather turned to ****. So I just stir them up a bit and they want to play the "Battle of Wits". Which would be more fun if they were armed.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

My e-mail over floweth w/ links back to here to the sparring on this safety issue. I downloaded a PDF file on ATV safety 2003. It had a breakdown on all the accidents (110,000) and graphs/etc.....I found it interesting for sure .I also found it interesting the largest single group of accidents occured in the 200 to 299 cc quad size..( obviously the smaller adolesent machines)...and the body of the article was largely directed at children riding quads recklesslyNot adults driving children on their quads, Children piloting their own machines...and multiple children riding on quads. There were of course statistics on all the other types of accidents annoiting us to the risks involved for all riders. Another interesting statistic had to do with the warning labels on the fenders......40% said they never read the warning...How could that be missed??,,,one would have to be blind not to run across all this ink on the fenders........
I am not sure where all this flows?.....how safe can the sport be? Would it be prudent to force a 1 day course on how to pilot an ATV??dont sell them to anyone under 16 period???would it save lives???would it discourage ATV sales??thus causing company profits to dip/ job losses??Is it acceptable to the share holders,local economies, govts who live off the fruits of an industry?what about the cost to run these training programs...sounds like a Govt. issue...who pays for that???pop another cost to the tax payer?who already has 100 lbs in a ten pound bag??but it should be worth it to save some lives??shoudnt it??? some will say yes to some no...Who is right?...if one isnt friendly to ATVing they will certainly not be interested in dolling out some cash for some Govt. requirement.How many noble causes can we effectivley police?
I certainly understand both ends of the spectrum but we are going to have to get a handle on ourselves in our country and find common ground about what to do about the fine balance of risk, safety, and litigation if we plan on having a free functioning healthy and economically prospering society.As I stated in a previous post I live in NYS and we are now required to register,and insure an ATV to use it on anything but your own land.The lions share of the State has now become off limits to ATV use due to the legal horror stories.The state has trails sanctioned for ATV use but they are few and not in any way reflective of the $$$$collected from the registations . I have a large lifetime lease from International Paper which we ride on that I now pay a premium for a special insurance policy covering the ATV liability problem and... International Paper holds a separate policy paid through my lease.So we have had no claims from my group and now we have a total of 3 policies . on the land and the machines.My leasing agent from International Paper says it is a function of the liability involved with and accident period.It isnt safe, safer, safest.There is no such thing as no accicents. Experience has dictated that if an accident happens an attorney knocks on their door.The fact that the accident occured isnt the issue......It is the manipulation of the injured party/ legal system spun from our nations ATTORNEYS indemnifyling the land owner,ATV manufact,etc. and whom ever else a buck can be extracted from.It doesnt even need be big $$$$$$.Some of these ambulance chasers live off the small fees that are required for case development knowing well it is fruitless but giving delutions of granger to some one hooked on the notion of an easy $$$$..It is a wholesale fleecing of ourselves purpotrated by selfserving legal system. Who do you think runs this nation? What happend to get hurt /get better/ ride another day??or I understand the risk so I carry an accident policy on myself because I like ATVing , dirt bikes, seadoos but they can be dangerous if I ride @11/10ths.
I know everyone hates this subject but it is something we need to address as much as safety needs attention.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

mrmom103ny, My wife who is new to this quad riding is getting a free ATV course from Arctic Cat with the purchase of the '05. On top of the course, we get a $100 from AC to boot. I understand that the other manufactures also offer these classes, I don't know about the $100 though. So I see the manufactures as serious about the safety issue (I'm sure lawyers have something to do with this). I think the problem is the people buying them and having the opinion that they know what they are doing, usually the first timers haven't a clue. A State law could be passed, just like for a drivers license, where minors attend drivers ed. or you don't get to drive until you become of age. The legislature would be hard pressed to force adults to take the course. It's a tough problem. I am of the opinion and we all know what that's worth; "Parents should be held accountable for what happens to their children on machines supplied by the parent". No training and no suppervision and they pay for their negligence. I don't want to hear how they just lost a child crap. They either hurt or killed their child and the is no excuse for that.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

.... I know everyone hates this subject but it is something we need to address as much as safety needs attention.
Wow - where do I begin....

1) yes, the requirement to have a drivers license to operate a ATV is coming. Like a freight train. The accident rates for under 16 year olds is through the roof. Yes more kids get hurt on bicycles - tell that to the state legislatures looking for a way out of the pressure from doctors, insurance companies and child advocates pushing for the license requirement.

2) In Minnesota we have a program operated much like gun safety programs. DNR certified instructors provide testing of youth 12-15 years old to ride over 90cc quads. It is a computer based training program (CD provided by the state) followed by a written test of the CBT material and finaly a demonstration of required skills riding test. Minnesota and other states are seriously considering making this same certification manditory for all ATV operators regardless of age. The program is funded through the $15 certification fee and state ATV registration. Note - there is millions of dollars in the ATV fund checkbook - often raided to fund some frogs with one-leg study.

Note: 2 of the 100+ youth in my own safety certification programs are dead from ATV accidents. Several have been seriously injured. Certification does not fix the problem. They are still kids and given unsupervised access to ATV's, its like russian roulette.

If I had it my way - the parents would be requried to have the certification before the child ever sat on the ATV. That by itself would impact over 40% of the accidents.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Range Rover

WOW, these posts are way too long for me to read them all! Anyways....

Back on topic...my 2003 250 4x4 has not yet (knock on wood) seen the inside of a shop. Lets all keep it that way.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my AC since '99 she has been a dream. Can't get rid of her though. I am thinking about getting another for me but it's only a thought. As for problems. None major just minor wearable issue (Pads, Rotors, etc). My AC has over 4000 miles (no bull). Had some motor work done but with the assistance of some friends (mechnics). But my cat has been a great bike. The voltage reg. went out once but that I believe was my own fault. Replaced and no other issues. Reliable bike and I try mt hardest to keep her well maintained. With the exception of my latest issue (see 99 radiator user error)

Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

I had an AC 375 that had 3500 miles on it and and I never had a problem that I didn't cause. I did have some recalls done on it but that's about it. Will I buy another? H*LL Yes!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Bear! Sorry I missed this one. Sounds like you found a couple of real loosers this time too! This thread is similar to the one back a few years ago when you had to drag a few of those kids through the mud, who were happy to be stupid... Problem was, they didn't know they were... Stupid that is... Wonder were they are now? Did you leave them in the mud, haven't seen them here after we worked 'em over a few times?
I don't think Donkey & Greenslime are goin' to quit... They don't seem to have the intelligence of the other kids. Maybe just a couple of spoiled kids here. Best to leave 'em be. Can't win this one...
Chuck

Old 01-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i dont have to worry about my 2005 AC 400 for a while anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] , went out rideing today, 2nd week i've had my new axle in, and i slung a rod in the engine... that or i burned up a valve either way she's dune for a while.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GaSwampDonkey
well i dont have to worry about my 2005 AC 400 for a while anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] , went out rideing today, 2nd week i've had my new axle in, and i slung a rod in the engine... that or i burned up a valve either way she's dune for a while.

Can anyone say abuse.

Quick Reply: Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?