Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: frankblum43
I have never been totally wrong but on occasion I have been partly wrong. Amsoil was the first to market Synthetic oil to the general public. Slicker and thinner. Low pour point and a higher flash point were the two things that helped me decide to use synthetic. I didn't realize my post was going under a microscope. I will go away and let you have this forum all to yourself. Later! Frank
You made it sound like Amsoil developed synthetic oil and it just ain't so and if you are above being corrected when you are wrong, maybe you better go elsewhere and sulk. And at 2 post you don't have a clue.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

I wouldnt use amsoil for my weedeater it flat out SUCKS buy some Klotz or Caster 927 leave the snake oil for the diehard IDIOTS

Old 11-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

"I wouldnt use amsoil for my weedeater it flat out SUCKS buy some Klotz or Caster 927 leave the snake oil for the diehard IDIOTS "

I liked Klotz oil also for two strokes but once I switched to Amsoil dominator mixed at 50 to 1 I stoped fouling plugs on my 86 honda 250r. Not to mention it ran much better. I mixed klotz at 32 to 1. each to its own though, as long as your happy with it and nothing breaks "who cares!"

Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: 4FITTY
I wouldnt use amsoil for my weedeater it flat out SUCKS buy some Klotz or Caster 927 leave the snake oil for the diehard IDIOTS
Could you be a little more specific than to say it "SUCKS". What dont you like about Amsoil? I notice the 2 oils you recomend are synthetic "snake oils " too. What makes them any better than Amsoil? I use Torco GP7 as a premix in all my 2 strokes and have never siezed a engine or fouled a plug. But that doesnt make others oils SUCK.

And are you calling me a idiot? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Or was that meant for some one else here? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I use Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil in my KTM. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I guess that makes me a idiot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I gotta go tell the wife she has been right all these years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil?

Bear this is where I am coming from when I made my statement about Amsoil.

Actually Lt. Col. Albert J. Amatuzio using his experience with the first jet plane synthetic oil formulated a 100% synthetic motor oil.

Jack Arotta, a Duluth Minnesota businessman was the first guy to put it in a brand new car, a 1966 Ford Station Wagon.

Actually, for more than a year Jack had been putting a variety of Al's synthetic formulations in his previous cars, so he did not feel that he was putting his vehicle at serious risk. After several more years of fine tuning his formulation, AMZOIL (Amatuzio-oil) was created and became the first 100% synthetic diester based engine oil to pass the API sequence tests and receive API qualification in 1972.

The following year Mobil Oil began marketing the first PAO based engine oil overseas and in 1975 they began test marketing a synthetic PAO based synthetic in the U.S. called Mobil 1.

Now I am not an Amsoil dealer but do highly recommend it along with Mobil 1, Rotella, Redline, etc. Later! Frank

Old 11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What Oil?

Actually Lt. Col. Albert J. Amatuzio using his experience with the first jet plane synthetic oil formulated a 100% synthetic motor oil.

Jack Arotta, a Duluth Minnesota businessman was the first guy to put it in a brand new car, a 1966 Ford Station Wagon.

Actually, for more than a year Jack had been putting a variety of Al's synthetic formulations in his previous cars, so he did not feel that he was putting his vehicle at serious risk. After several more years of fine tuning his formulation, AMZOIL (Amatuzio-oil) was created and became the first 100% synthetic diester based engine oil to pass the API sequence tests and receive API qualification in 1972.

The following year Mobil Oil began marketing the first PAO based engine oil overseas and in 1975 they began test marketing a synthetic PAO based synthetic in the U.S. called Mobil 1.

Now I am not an Amsoil dealer but do highly recommend it along with Mobil 1, Rotella, Redline, etc. Later! Frank

Thanks for the input Frank, and welcome to the forum! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

I knew most of what you just stated, but I have had several racing friends, actually competitors, one with an Amsoil sponsorship and all had higher than expected powerhead failures. Everyone running blended or factory synthetics did much better (myself included). Admittedly these were 2 stroke engines, but that makes me leery of aftermaket oils as the engine manufactures make sure their oils pass the ratings test everytime, while passing within 3 tries still gives the aftermarket guys the rating. Just to give you an idea of my experience. I was a factory certified mech for a long time and a racer ( driver/mechanic and owner/driver/mechanic) a lot of years. I also was a 2 time National High Points Champ and set 3 speed records, all done with only minor sponsorship and doing all the wrenching.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil?

No championships in my resume but I have burned my share of snowmobile pistons. Usually as the result of running things too lean. We tried every brand of oil on the market back then. The absolute best we used was the Rabbit oil. It was clean. Didn't foul plugs as I remember. I think it was a 50 to 1. synthetic. I am not sure what after market oil is. I am pretty sure none of the ATV manufactures make oil. I would be surprised to learn that any of them have a chemical engineer on the payroll. They possible my have an oil designed just for them. I do know they all over price their oil. I will be running someone's synthetic in my new machine as soon as I rack up a few more hours. Later! Frank