Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 and 250 utility first service question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 and 250 utility first service question

Hello...I'm new to the forum and to Arctic Cat. I have an 05 400 auto and an 05 250 utility. I am about due for my first service - I just spoke with the dealer I bought them from. He said AC recommends a valve check and a bunch of other services...all for about $150-200 per atv!! I just wanted to see what everyone here thinks about that. I have noticed a sluggish response from the 250 but relate it to old gas and a knocking in the motor area on the 400. Any suggestions? Thank you!!! I am in Ohio.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an '05 400 also but my 250 is a 2001 model (samne motor and trans). The 400 was bought new in November 2004 and the valves were "not" adjusted at first service because they weren't noisy and there was no power loss. Now have over 2100 miles on the 400 and still no issues with the valves. I would check the spark plugs first as break-in can be real hard on them. I change them once a year or every 1000 miles. Spark plugs are cheap preventitive maintenance. Poor gas does beat up the plugs. Gas can go "bad" very fast any more (in as little as 3 weeks) so I use fuel stablizer which helps and will top of the tank with premium (I always run regular, just not enough compression to need the real expensive stuff). My 250 has God only knows how many miles (no speedo) on it and the valves were adjust once in 2003. I run Seafoam in my gas and have an inline fuel filter added (the filter is a must to keep crap out of the carb). I would also check the air filters for the sluggish throttle response. I had the dealer do the first service on the 400 and it only cost me about $120 for the oil and filter change, spark plug, checking the differentials and total check over for loose nuts and bolts (had one of those on my first snow ride in December in 1 1/2 feet of snow) and rubbing wires and hoses. I went to synthetic oil at the second oil change. Before having the valves run I would check the plug and air filter first. You don't want to open the motor up if you don't have too.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Kevlar119,

Welcome to the forum.

I think if you are mechanically inclined at all, with the use of a service manual you can do the maintenance yourself and save a bunch of $. A service maual will run you about $40 and be the best investment for maintenacne and repairs you will make. They should make a CD version of a paper one which ever you prefer. It has step by step maintenacne procedures that are easy to follow. Check ebay or at your dealer for the service manual.

Oil and filters will probably run about $30 for each machine. So including the price of the service manual you should pay less than $120 for both machines. AND the time spent will be a bonding time between you and your machines. That is, you will get to know it a little better to hopefully help prevent major break downs.

If you purchased them from a dealer you might ask if the first oil change is free? The place I bought mine from included it. But, since my machines were in another state they just mailed me the oil change kits.

Your valves shouldn't need adjusting unless you notice a loss in power OR that the machine is hard starting even when warmed up. The knocking in the motor area of the 400 could be a compression release valve, which is normal. (its actually more of a clicking than a knock) If the knocking is more of a clicking and goes away when running at speed it is normal.

Other than that, Bear covered it all. Enjoy your new rides.

SJ