Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

may buy a Prowler. any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may buy a Prowler. any problems?

I am thinking about buying a prowler this year. is any one having problems with them i heard some rumers that there were brake probs & some other things. they look cooler then the rhino & have mor eleg room. i am told that they are faster in stock form as well. don't like the ranger & not that impressed with the rhino's performance. any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

they were having some problems with them but from what i hear they got all the problems worked out. i am thinking bout purchasing a prowler myself this spring if i can gather up the benjamins. and yes i do believe they are faster in stock form but you can purchase an aftermarket cdi and they will go faster then you would want to.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

The problems were on the 2006 prowlers but they were recalled and it was the first year production. They ARE the fastest utv right out of the crate and I believe the best looking one with 14 inch rims stock on the xt. My 2007 prowler has never had a problem, it fires right up every time and that 650 h1 has tons of power. I use it to push a 72 inch snow plow and since i got it my 400 barely leves the shed. Best atv (well utv I guess) I ever bought.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

We just purchased a 2007 Prowler XT in Feb. We have put 253 miles and 18 hours on it so far. All riding has been on mining roads in AZ. The parking brake does like to disengage sometimes, the locking tabs could be deigned better. We have had no problems yet besides the parking brake. The speedometer/gauge cluster settings are kind of complicated to figure out. It has an automatic choke and always starts great. The under hood storage on the Prowler is great for keeping things clean. We also have a Rhino. The top speed of the prowler is faster but I think the Rhino is quicker and more nimble. We haven't had a drag race beetween the two yet. Reverse gear on the Prowler is much lower than on the Rhino. You actually have some torque if you need to back out of a deep mud hole or up a hill. Both are good machines with the Rhino being a little more on the sport side and the Prowler a little more on the utility side. We will be keeping both. If anyone in Arizona is looking for a Prowler XT, we got ours for $10,200 out the door from Eastern Arizona Ag Center in Thatcher Arizona. It was worth the drive to save about $1,300 from the best offer in Phoenix.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

had my prowler for 7 months now, first thing my dealer told me when i took deliverly was don't use the parking brake. the only problems i 've had so far is a front and a rear axle seals leaked, the rear i had the dealer replaced it, the front i did it myself, took about an hour and cost around $5.00 for the seal.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

We now have 337 miles/24 hours on our 2007 prowler XT. On the last ride, the bolt on the shifting linkage fell off. We found the bolt and nut sitting on the skid plate and reinstalled them. I don't know if it had a lock washer but I installed one and some Locktite after I got home. It did not have a self locking nut. The Front Left differential/Axle seal also started leaking on this trip. It leaked out a lot of oil covering much skid plate area. I didn't notice it until the end of the day strapping it on the trailer. I hope it didn't run dry. It's at the dealer now getting repaired. We don't beat on our machines hard at all. We used 4 WD twice that day. Once going up a small gravel hill and once up a steep mining road. I'm not sure what made it start to leak that day. We have used 4 WD before and it didn't leak. I hope it doesn't happen over and over.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Could the factory have accidently made a mistake and put too much oil in the differentials causing excessive pressure and blowing out a seal?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought my AC the first thing I did was to check all fluid levels and there was too much in both differentials. I drained them and put in the correct 290ml, and there must have been close to 400ml or more in there. I think what happened in my case, when the dealer set it up the tech checked the level and filled it until it ran out of the fill hole. And the correct amount needed to be 1 inch down from the fill hole. Inexperienced setup tech I guess. But with too much in there I could have blown a seal very easily.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Would too much fluid still blow a seal if they have those expandable rubber boots on the differential vent hole?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

A friend just bought a new Prowler. He had a Ranger 700 XP. I think the Prowler is a better machine in every way.