Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

auto or manual AC500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I presently own a 2000 AC300 bought new in 7/99. It has been trouble free and has 1000 miles on it. The time has come for more power and torque. I live in western Pennsylvania and we ride up and down alot of extremely steep powerlines. I am leaning towards the automatic but I am concerned about holdback coming down the steep powerlines. I have been spoiled by the AC300's gearing. Going with another Arctic Cat is not the question, auto or manual 500 for the type of riding that I do?

Old 01-14-2001, 11:35 AM
Range Rover

I had a chance to spend some time on the CAT 500 manual on a cross country hunting trip and the ability to climb steep ridges and rocks with heavy trailer was excellant. The engine braking was similar and it convinced me to go manual for this type of use. I hear the auto is very good but is not quite as strong in this area. It comes down to ease of use in contrast to special applications. I am sure for other conditions the auto maybe the better choice. I ordered the CAT 500 manual.

Old 01-14-2001, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

trashman
I own a 500 auto and I have gone down some steep hills that I was more concerned about falling over the handle bars than anything else. I was going so slow that I even had to add extra power so I wouldn't spend all day on the mountain side. Of course I was in low range and 4x4 also. Hope this helps.

shmoky

Old 01-14-2001, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the auto is better than the manual at decending than the manual if what these guys say is true. I find that mine revs up alittle too much instead of slowing me down to atleast and almost stop. It's good compression braking, but nothing like the guys with auto's say. They say they have to give gas to not stop on a down grade, i've never had that problem

Another thing is that the auto has a longer wheelbase which makes it better for climbing, more stable that is. Not that the manual lacks stability, but a longer wheelbase is even better.

Old 01-14-2001, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you really convinced that the automatic is better at downhills than the manual in low range? Doesn't really sound right.

Old 01-14-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think one thing to consider though, is each person has their "own view" of what STEEP really is. I doubt most of us could actually look at a hill and claim the true and actual degree, or grade of the hill with much accuracy, so we all have our own views of "steep". I know over the past months of owning and riding, familiarizing myself with my 'Cat, what I would call "steep" has changed dramatically.

When I first bought the 'Cat, some hills seemed rather steep, and almost scary for that matter, which now are nothing more than a mere speed bump of sorts. When I take out my buddies who are first-time riders, I often forget that steepness of a hill can be dangerous for them. I've taken them down hills that I actually consider steep, but having a knowledge of how to drive the type of terrain, so it doesn't bother me. They on the other hand, are scared absolutely sh__less. On one occassion, my buddy even refused to go down a hill (it was actually very steep, requiring my breaks in fact for several parts) on the 'Cat. I had to drive my 'Cat down, then climb back up the damn thing (real pain in the butt at this point) to drive my dad's 'Cat down while my buddy attempted to walk along side.

Anyway, with "degree of steepness" in mind, I can't comment on the manual 'Cats ability to control speed while decending a hill. I know the engine breaking on my 'Cat is excellent, and like others have said, depending on the degree of steepness, and the objects in my path (rocks, logs, etc.) I find myself having to give it gas to maintain speed -in 4 low.

I go down some stuff in what I consider now to be pretty steep, with no fears or worries at all-even if the breaks should fail for that matter. Oh BTW, on a side note, I finally found a hill I couldn't make it up! Well, not totally true anyway. I attemted climbing this extremely steep hill that motorcycle guys get a huge run at, then try to go strait up-the good ones make it, most don't. Anyway, it's a long hill, extremely steep. I tried to go strait up in their path, made it about half way up the thing, when my 'Claws just dug me strait into the side of the face, rather than pulling me forward, and up. Now, this made the blood run cold for a bit, as I'm stuck on the face of this thing. I backed out of my 4 holes, riding the breaks the entire way, then thought what the hell, I don't want to have to back down this, so I dropped it back into four low, and tried to go again. I actually started climbing the thing, made it up past my old tracks, probably up another 20' or so, then got sucked into the side of the hill again. The ground was really loose soft dirt, yet still somewhat wet from the rain. Anyway, at this point, no chance but to back down the entire way to the bottom-now that was not exactly the most pleasant feeling.

Now, I said that I finally found a hill I couldn't make it up-but that wasn't totally true, well, here's the rest of the story: I moved over into the hardpack stuff, which had a little grass mixed in with it. Here, in 4-low, it was no problem at all-except that I was leaning so far forward over my front rack to keep the front end on the ground, that I had a terrible time giving it gas with my first/middle finger! Anyway, I did make it finally.

Sorry for the length, just my views of the situation at hand,

Mike

Old 01-14-2001, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Oops, double post.

Old 01-14-2001, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for this one-Andy, theoretically, I'd have to agree with you. You'd think that in low range, 1st gear, a manual would control better than a belt.? I don't know though, there is a point when in pickups anyway, four low, first gear going down steep grades when you end up rapping out the engine, picking up speed the whole way.

Again, I have no experience with the manual, so I really can't compare the two. Wish I knew somebody in my area with a manual 'Cat, would definately be fun to find the differences between the two in situations like this. I'd also like to see if the manual has any advantages for the work that I do, just out of curiousity.

Take care,
(tried to keep this one short!) lol.

Mike

Old 01-16-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not conviced, notice how I said if what they say is true.

All I know is that when decending a very steep hill or into a 20 ft deep that I NEVER have to press the gas to have forward movement, I actually have to stay on the brakes most of the time to keep her to a crawl like I want.