Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Front Diff???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering about the differant front diff's that are out there. I was riding out on the lake this weekend and when my buddie with his 450s got stuck in a big snow bank. Both of his front wheels where spinning. So my ? is if Honda's have a limited slip front end does that mean both tires spin all the time and one tire gets more power. Or does it mean that if one tire gets stuck the other tire gets all the power. There was a post awile ago about tieing to a tree and giving it gas. Will the honda dig 4 holes or just 3 holes. Im just wondering. Also im getting a new 500 4x4 (Shift) and was wondering what you guys thought between the winch and the ext. warrenty. I would use the winch for plowing snow in the winter. Im not sure though my 400 has been trouble free with 1500 miles on it.
Thanks for your help...

Old 01-16-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry i didn't proof read it. Im in a hurry to get to class.
Thanks

Old 01-16-2001, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Stitch:
I won't touch that one about the front diffs! Heh heh heh, quite a controversy there. As for the winch vs. ext. warranty deal, I think I'd opt for the winch-well for myself, I know I would. How long did it take you to put the 1500 miles on your 400? We bought two 500's in April, yet only have roughly 800 miles on them, though very hard working miles none the less. To date, no problems what so ever-well none that wasn't my fault. I accidentally drowned my 'Cat, but after tearing down and draining everything, refilling it runs better than ever.

I am constantly using my winch for various chores. I think I only pulled myself out once now, but have pulled the suburban and trailer on numerous occassions, as well as other full sized rigs, Toyota's, and even the infamous Jeep on an outing. Also comes in handy for camp chores, such as winching an animal up a meat pole for skinning, cleaning, etc. Fence stretching, other farm chores as well.

However, I guess if you are more of a recreational type rider (?), kind of mellow without taking any excessive risks, and do mostly trail riding, nothing else, maybe you wouldn't need the winch, I don't know. I tell you one thing though, I bought the winch with my 'Cat while my dad got the extended warranty. On our very first trip out, Dad was wishing he had opted for the winch as well. We called immediately upon returning from the trip and AC was going to swap the warranty for the winch, however the papers had already been processed I guess, and they said it couldn't be reversed at that point-we waited about one day too long.

Best of luck with the decision,

Mike

Old 01-16-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Stitch:

This diff thing keeps coming up and I don't mind repeating it because it is important and often misunderstood. Hope the others can bear with me.
Its called a differential because it reacts to the DIFFERENCE in traction between the 2 wheels. Thats why the Honda 450 spun both wheels in the snow bank, both wheels had the same (poor) traction. Same thing happens if you tie your bike to a tree and gas it, you'll spin 4 holes.
Now get your bike hung up so that one wheel is on solid groung and the other is in the air (or in sloppy mud)and this is where the differential starts to do its thing. An open diff like the Honda's will send all the power to the wheel in the air and it will just sit there and spin (assuming the back wheels are just spinning also). A traction-sensing diff will send power to the wheel on firm ground and it will help to pull you out. A locked diff (locker) will send power to both wheels always, so the one in the air will be turning while the one on the ground drives you out.

As for the winch vs warranty deal, I'd take the winch; but it depends on where and how you ride.
I now ride through all kinds of nasty stuff that I used to turn back at before I had the winch. Now I know where my limits are because I'm not afraid to get stuck if I try stuff.
Check out the terms of the extended warranty carefully. If it locks you in to having them do all the maintenance at their rates on their schedule with their parts, it could get expensive if you're normally a do-it-yourselfer.

Old 01-16-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon,
I am not disagreeing with you but there are better limited slip differentials than others. I have seen 3 seperate times where a 2000 Honda 450es spun 3 tires as apposed to a 2000 model AC 500, same identical test tieing to a tree, a truck, and in a seperate test on flat muddy ground. The test with the tree and truck was on hard grassy ground.The Honda in all three test spun only 3 tires, and in all 3 test the Cat spun all 4 tires. So it showed that some limited diffs are different when it comes to traction. Now nobody get excited those test where on level ground, not un-even ground. Also both machines had the same type of tires on them (Vampires).

Old 01-16-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I got the 400 new in Sept. Went up north every weekend and just went for rides. Putting on 100-200 miles per weekend. I like the 400 but im looking forward to having the ability to switch bettwen 4x4 and 2x4. The 400 has been really good but it feels alittle underpowered. Thats why im going to get a 500

Old 01-16-2001, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I got the 400 new in Sept. Went up north every weekend and just went for rides. Putting on 100-200 miles per weekend. I like the 400 but im looking forward to having the ability to switch bettwen 4x4 and 2x4. The 400 has been really good but it feels alittle underpowered. Thats why im going to get a 500

Old 01-16-2001, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider