Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery life

This is on my 07 400 auto 4x4. I haven't ridden my quad much this winter - ran it a few times and it started fine. Now today go to fire it up and the battery is drained. It will crank a few times, but not enough to get it going. I know since I didn't ride much this past fall/winter I should have disconnected the battery - how long of a life is exptected of these normally? Also any recommendations for a atv / cycle battery charger?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Battery life

I do the same thing, just leave it in for the winter and it lasts about 3 years. There pretty cheap at Walmart so I do not store the batteries like they should be throught the winter. Charge it up and if it can,t hold a charge ,just get a new one.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Battery life

I did a quick search and the articles recommended not using a car battery charger - is that correct?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery life

I use a automatic car charger its shuts off automatically when the battery is charge. Cant see how it would know if its a 12v ATV battery or a 12v car battery.

If a 15 min ride cant get the battery up and running strong,then chances are the battery is done. I would not work to hard to bring a 2 year old $40 battery back to life.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Range Rover
Default Battery life

https://atvconnection.com/F...-on-ATV-batteries.cfm

there's the article I read - towards the bottom it talks about the car charger not being the best suited for the job. I did pull start it - first pull and it fired up, but noticed my display is not working nor the winch - I assume this is due to a drained battery ? The display lights up redish orange but shows not info - I did check the leads coming off the battery to the winch solenoids and it shows 14volts, but pressing my controller button = nothing. I haven't ran it very long - maybe I will go out and start it, let it run for 15 minutes and see what happens. thanks for the replies....

Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery life

Do worry about the display and winch that will work ok once the battery is charged or changed. Sitting and just idling is a slower charge than with the motor reved up durring a ride. Even after a 10 min ride it should run ok,or something is wrong.

From your link it sounds like using a car battery is not the thing to do on the more exspensive AGM batteries.

I just buy the cheap "Conventional" Walmart batteries so I guess it does not apply with me.

I ,m more surprised the ATV and sleds fire up every season with these batteries, than surprised if they do not.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Battery life

Well talked to the dealer - for the car battery charger, they advise as long as you have a 2A charging selection to use that one. The higher one can possibly overheat the battery. I have enough juice to start the quad on its own but no juice for display or winch. Putting it on the charger now and hopefully all will be well here in a few.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Default Battery life

Hello,

The key to Motorcycle & ATV battery life is really activity. The more it get used regularly the longer it will last.

I would recommend if the ATV (or Motorcycle) is going to sit for any period to use a Battery Tender. They are automatic chargers that are intended to be left on the battery for how ever long the unit sits. That way when you go to use the unit the next time the battery is in top condition. Some of the Tenders even come with a wire lead that is meant to be left on the machine. Then when you park it you just plug the quick connect in and forget it about it until its time to ride again.

My personal favorite and the one I recommend is the Battery Tender Super Smart Battery Tender Plus. It not only charges the battery but cycles it. The cost of the Tender will pay for itself when you don't need to replace the battery.

Here is a list of all the Battery Tender we have available.

John