Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

It's Not the Starter Relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 10:07 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default It's Not the Starter Relay

Even after my local ATV dealer told me the starter relay was causing my electric start not to work, a new one does not help either. The mechanic checked it out and said relay was sticking and just tap w/screwdriver When the electric start is working, the neutral/gear lights come on when starter is not working, no gear lights. Headlights work fine. I just ordered a new one, put it on with same results. Any ideas? please. Thanks

Old 06-20-2008 | 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Maybe you have a loose wire on your ignition switch somewhere. turn your key on and move the wires around on the back of the ignition switch and see if there is any change.

Old 06-20-2008 | 08:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ruled out loose wiring around ignition. I've wiggled every wire I can reach,, no luck.

Old 06-21-2008 | 08:12 AM
Range Rover

Have you check your battery connections? I kow that a loose ground will cause alot of weird sh*t ti happen.. Maybe you have abad gauge pod. Seems very strange, I wonder if maybe you dont have a bad ignition switch?

Old 06-23-2008 | 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have been working a similar problem. Machine was dead, no lights, no cranking, you could spin the starter by arcing the solenoid. I need to know what the three small wires are that are the plug for the starter solenoid of a 2003 400 4x4 auto. Here is what I have done so far. Not my machine, has been submerged and then sat for about three years. Rather than spend a lot of money on relays and switches, (70 bucks for a solenoid) I took the 9 dollar solenoid off a Craftsman mower, small red wire to hot battery side of solenoid, red from the starter to the other pole on the solenoid just like a lawnmower, green (i think) to the small spade, and the third gray(?) wire I didn't hook up to anything. I have dash, reverse, lights, and it fired right up (after getting the moss out of the tank and carb and drowning it in ether). The problem is that it overheats, vapor locks, and eventually dies. The fan doesn't run. May be ruined, or the third wire on the solenoid plug goes to a fan relay. Does anyone know for sure or have a wiring diagram? Not to diminish anyone's efforts or how you attack an electrical problem. I work on about anything and can usually get it running. May not be the best way, may not be pretty. Just not much cash to get this thing running again.

Old 06-24-2008 | 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

did you check the neutral relay? could be a bad wire

Old 06-24-2008 | 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

not yet. To Tj, I also ran an extra ground wire from the battery directly to a fresh drilled hole in the frame. Not sure, but it seemed to make the dash lights and headlights brighter. I brightened up the factory ground cable connection originally but it didn't seem to do much. As wet as this machine has been and setting a long time, it might be what helped me get it started. Just a thought.

Old 06-25-2008 | 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

there a brake pressure switch (so you can start in gear) you might check that too but if it is in neutral it would not matter.
Just checking the kill switch on the left handlegrip is not turned off.