Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2008 Thundercat - buy or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Thundercat - buy or not

Hello all.

New guy here.

I am about to purchase a 2008 Thundercat with 125 miles on it from a dealer. I believe that it was a demo unit. It seems to be in great shape. I'm able to get it out the door with mud lite tires and a winch for $8,700. Does this seem like a good deal or not? Also, are there any issues with the 2008 that I should be aware of (they already replaced the starter with the updated one)? Should I spend more $$ and get a 2010?

Thanks!!!

Rob

Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

M.S.R.P. was $10,499.00 back in 2008. and no one pays near MSRP on any ATV. 2 years old and used you should get a better deal then that.

I live in RIP OFF prices Canada and our dealer is selling NEW AC 550 for $8400 Canadain.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
M.S.R.P. was $10,499.00 back in 2008. and no one pays near MSRP on any ATV. 2 years old and used you should get a better deal then that.

I live in RIP OFF prices Canada and our dealer is selling NEW AC 550 for $8400 Canadain.
Hello and thanks for the reply.

The price is $7,299. But since it is a dealer I have to pay tax. Also, the total price includes them installing new tires, winch, and a battery.

Besides the price, are the 08's ok? I'm not going to be beating up on this thing, just trail riding it.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

OH, you ment out the door Price sorry. Just google "ARCTIC CAT recalls" and see if there are any for that year.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is a 2008 Thunder Cat with 18 miles $6,999 Arctic Cat 2008 Thundercat 1000 H2 EFI Silver ATV NEW!: eBay Motors (item 300444852402 end time Jul-30-10 06:08:00 PDT) for you to go by on price.Tax, License and Documentation fee is additional + shipping.

Sounds like yours is a good deal then.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Here is a 2008 Thunder Cat with 18 miles $6,999 Arctic Cat 2008 Thundercat 1000 H2 EFI Silver ATV NEW!: eBay Motors (item 300444852402 end time Jul-30-10 06:08:00 PDT) for you to go by on price.Tax, License and Documentation fee is additional + shipping.

Sounds like yours is a good deal then.
Thanks again!!

The dealer I'm working with may be a bit high but I'll try and work on that when I go to put a deposit in it. He is in the ball park it seems though.

Rob

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

lol tlc that is where i bought my 08 700 and they were absolutely awesome to work with. for me it was well worth the 5 hour drive down there. and i say if it is a decent dealer go ahead and pay the little extra. alot of times if you buy local and they are good to deal with then they will give you some extra off of hopup parts and they are more then happy to help ya out if you are having problems compared to buying from another dealer like i did. the difference between my local dealer right in thief river falls and the dealer that tlc posted up was 1100 dollars so yeah country cat is quite a bit cheaper then most places.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rlh6805
Hello all.

New guy here.

I am about to purchase a 2008 Thundercat with 125 miles on it from a dealer. I believe that it was a demo unit. It seems to be in great shape. I'm able to get it out the door with mud lite tires and a winch for $8,700. Does this seem like a good deal or not? Also, are there any issues with the 2008 that I should be aware of (they already replaced the starter with the updated one)? Should I spend more $$ and get a 2010?

Thanks!!!

Rob
Work 'em over on the price! A little high IMHP.

Now about the THUNDERCAT..........I'd honestly be leary of the 1st yr model.

Don't get me wrong...I'd LUV to have one....just a few model yrs later to work out the bugs. Now I don't own one to give a truely unbiased opinion but I've read a TON of posts complaining about a list of issues:

1. the biggest being the SLD (spike load dampener) Once you jam the throttle and "tweak" it into being used......it's DONE and will slip constantly. The only fix is R&R..... or welding it - thus voiding any warranty.

2. oil leakage. It seams that the H2 has some BAD seals and will seap oil EVERYWHERE.

3. VERY hard starting when warm.

4. BAD water pumps...go w/o warning and overheat quickly.

The biggest issue that I see is that you've now got a 950+ cc H2 engine in a regular stock chassis that's used for every model BACKWARDS down to a '10 - 450H1.....with nothing significantly different?
Everything is the same right down to the CV shafts and differentials. The shear POWER of this machine is bound to torque/twist things up.....and probably more.

Unfortunately I've heard very few POSITIVE comments (there are a few that have had NP) about the '08.....but ONLY the '08. Seems that AC has been working hard to get all the kinks out in '09-'10.

The choice is yours.

Sorry to burst your bubble. AC makes awesome machines (I have 3). The THUNDERCAT just needs a few more road-tested yrs to get the refinements dialed in IMHP.

FYI - take a hard look at the 650-700H1. Bullet-proof dependability, and you'll get it at a better price, and while your at it....get a TRV!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cupsz71
Work 'em over on the price! A little high IMHP.

Now about the THUNDERCAT..........I'd honestly be leary of the 1st yr model.

Don't get me wrong...I'd LUV to have one....just a few model yrs later to work out the bugs. Now I don't own one to give a truely unbiased opinion but I've read a TON of posts complaining about a list of issues:

1. the biggest being the SLD (spike load dampener) Once you jam the throttle and "tweak" it into being used......it's DONE and will slip constantly. The only fix is R&R..... or welding it - thus voiding any warranty.

2. oil leakage. It seams that the H2 has some BAD seals and will seap oil EVERYWHERE.

3. VERY hard starting when warm.

4. BAD water pumps...go w/o warning and overheat quickly.

The biggest issue that I see is that you've now got a 950+ cc H2 engine in a regular stock chassis that's used for every model BACKWARDS down to a '10 - 450H1.....with nothing significantly different?
Everything is the same right down to the CV shafts and differentials. The shear POWER of this machine is bound to torque/twist things up.....and probably more.

Unfortunately I've heard very few POSITIVE comments (there are a few that have had NP) about the '08.....but ONLY the '08. Seems that AC has been working hard to get all the kinks out in '09-'10.

The choice is yours.

Sorry to burst your bubble. AC makes awesome machines (I have 3). The THUNDERCAT just needs a few more road-tested yrs to get the refinements dialed in IMHP.

FYI - take a hard look at the 650-700H1. Bullet-proof dependability, and you'll get it at a better price, and while your at it....get a TRV!
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't pulled the trigger yet and may not if he doesn't come down on that price a bit. Another dealer has a 2010 LE (the green one) but he wants $9,500 + tax and set up. That would put me over $10k and I wouldn't have a winch or better tires yet. Is it worth while to spend an additional $2k+ on the newer one and still have to spend more on a winch?

Rob

Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

the first year problems aren't going to happen to every machine, i have an 04 650 v2 that is a first year bigger machine with the kawi motor that cat made and other then the limp mode problems that were solved easily i haven't had anything go wrong with it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Thundercat - buy or not