Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Where To Find CVT Roller Weights For 2003 AC 400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Find CVT Roller Weights For 2003 AC 400?

I've been trying to find info on the size, weight and replacement rollers for my 2003 Arctic Cat 400 but I'm not finding any info. The only websites I can seem to find replacement rollers is on sites dealing only with scooters.

Any good ATV clutch \ CVT part suppliers I'm over looking?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Maybe look under a more popular brand like Suzuki, dont,t they make the motor and primary primary for That AC?
Might have better luck treating it like a 400 Suzuki Eiger/KQ. They may have more part sites to chose from.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

I've posted on the Suzuki website as well and no replies yet.

I'm with you on the motor being Suzuki but not sure if the CVT is the same as on the Suzuki's or not.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm with you on the motor being Suzuki but not sure if the CVT is the same as on the Suzuki's or not.
Not sure either, but you would think the people who make the motor would make the clutch as well.

I,d call these guys for better info.
Country Cat 38585 County Road 186
Sauk Centre MN 56378
Phone: 320-351-4481
Fax: 320-352-6372
Email: onlinesales@countrycat.ne
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Suzuki-Eiger-400-4X4-Primary-Drive-Clutch-LTA400F-/170975670025?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cef1af09&vxp=mtrHere is a 2002 Eiger primary clutch for sale does it look like yours from the pic? Only $100 might be the way to go.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok here we go .
Top pic link is a 2003 Suzuki Eiger
http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/o...transmission-1
This pic is a 400 Arctic Cat 2002
http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/o...ssion-assembly

Looks like they use the same Primary and secondary as well.

That $100 clutch on ebay is looking good with those above link prices.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Ok here we go .
Top pic link is a 2003 Suzuki Eiger
2003 Suzuki Eiger Auto 4WD (LT-A400F) TRANSMISSION (1) | Babbitts Arctic Cat Parts House
This pic is a 400 Arctic Cat 2002
2002 Arctic Cat 375 (A2002ATG2BUSG) TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY | Babbitts Arctic Cat Parts House

Looks like they use the same Primary and secondary as well.

That $100 clutch on ebay is looking good with those above link prices.
That same website has the same looking parts diagram for the Suzuki and AC, just changed up enough to make you question if they are the same. The reference #'s are the same on each item but all the part #'s are different and the price of the Suzuki parts are quite a bit less. It would be nice to know for sure if there is any difference at all in these parts. If I knew the Suzuki variator assembly would work and had heavier rollers to lower my RPM speed then I'd probably pick it up.

I've about decided to sell the AC and keep my Grizzly. I really like the looks of the AC and the way the frame and all is more ruggedly built than my Grizzly but the Grizzly just rides and handles much better plus way more power but I'm not really into power on an ATV, just want a good rugged built quad for trail riding and technical hills, rocks and such.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to find heavier weights without much issue.

With the Yamaha Grizzly's, all of them have weights that are interchangeable with other models. The lower the displacement, the lighter the weights. The reason for this is because smaller engines need to rev more to be in the power, while the larger engines have more torque and can handle turning lower RPM.

Now, all arctic cat's wont be like this because of the fact that they use at least 3 different brand of engines in their ATV's. But im 99% sure that they use the same clutch as the suzuki eiger. My guess is you could use some 500 vinson weights, or even 700 or 750 King Quad weights. I cant say for certain, but I would have to imagine they would be interchangeable, and they will be heavier so they will definately lower your RPM.

My father in law picked up an 07 Eiger last night with 51 miles on it. I rode it breifly and if its similar to the AC, then I see what you mean about it revving kind of high just to go 20mph. It is a smooth engine and doesnt really bother me too bad, but I could see wanting lower RPM out of it for just running trails. My 600 Grizzly definately turns a fair amount less RPM crusing along at trail speeds.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer

I haven't rode an Eiger yet but I have a feeling from what you're saying that it's the same setup as my AC so there wouldn't be any advantage to buy the rollers from an Eiger.

I just can't stand it turning so many RPM's with me just cruising around on it. You're right as far as the Grizzly not revving nearly as high. My Grizzly 700 seems to be set up just right and doesn't give me that feeling I'm riding in too low of a gear.

I've had a Polaris Explorer 400(2-stroke), Magnum 500 then this Grizzly 700 that have all seemed pretty good but I've had a Yamaha Kodiak 400, Kawasaki Prarie 700 and this AC that seem to way over rev. I just can't say I'm a fan of the CVT and don't understand why they've just about done away with foot shift trannies.

I've had 2 Honda Rubicon's and just absolutely love that transmission. I most always shifted it manually though. The ride of course was pretty harsh so I tried a Honda Rincon which rode great and the three speed tranny worked really well for 95% of my riding, great trail bike but it didn't do well for real slow technical crawling as it just didn't have a good low gear in it.

My opinion is to put the Rubicon tranny in a Rincon and give the Rincon a decent front push bar \ brush guard and that would be a great quad, for my style riding anyway. I just like trail riding with the occassional technical hilly rock crawl. I avoid the mud as much as possible.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

I agree on the foot shift transmissions. I really like a 5 speed foot shift but for whatever reason you cant get one in a utility ATV bigger than a 500. And Honda is probably the only one that still offers it in a 500. I have grown to like my CVT pretty good in my grizzly. Nice to be able to just gas it hard if you get in a bad spot and its really nice when my wife is with me because we can both keep our feet on the floorboards.

My cousin has had a couple of 500 Rubicons. Those are great transmissions. Dont take much RPM to get rolling and very smooth with no belt to worry about. My only gripe with those is that they cost a lot to fix if something goes wrong with them and you cant just pull a cover, service the clutches and change the belt like you can on a belt CVT. I have ridden a rincon once a long time ago and I didnt care a lot for the 3 speed, but I was just riding in a field. Id say its decent for trail riding, but like you said, the lack of a good low gear takes away from it IMO.

Let us know how you come out if you try different weights.

I think what I would do if I were you is find a dealer with king quad 700 weights in stock (or just order them), then take one of your weights in and compare it. If the dimensions are the same, but the weight is heavier on the KQ, then id put them in and you should be ready to go.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Here are 500 vinson roller weights. Looks to me like for $11 you get 8 of them. Surely they arent $11 a piece:

Transmission (1) Suzuki LT-A500F Vinson 500 4x4 Auto (K3) 2003 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

Pretty much the same price for king quad 700 weights too:

Transmission (1) Suzuki LT-A700X King Quad 700 4x4 Auto (K6) 2006 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

At $11 for 8 (im pretty sure), it would be well worth a try. I just looked and for my grizzly it shows I can get all 8 weights for $9 and some change. Id say the $11 is for all the weights for the suzuki.