Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Learning from experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning from experience

OK:
We all know that the Cats need a locker
There is a simple way of doing it with a little amount of money!

Here are the does and the donts. Follow these and you will be fine!

#1 Buy a new sub assembly from Alpha Sports! Cost= 220.00 w shipping
Make sure it is for the manual and not the automatic! They will not innerchange!!

#2 Weld your old sub assembly spider gears to the housing and from there to the side gears and from there to the other spider gears and from there to the other side gears,so that all of the gears are connected to teach other and to the housing!

Do not just weld the spiders!!! they will break, causing the tooth to get caught up in the teeth of the ring gear and busting your drain plu out!

#3 oil up your new sub assembly and wrap it in plastic or in a plastic ziploc and store it somewhere. this will keep it from rusting.

#4 put the welded sub assem. back in to the deff and you are ready.

Now. when you want to go out and trail ride you can take 30 minutes of your time to change the welded sub assembly out with the limited slip sub.

It is really simple emoving and putting in the subs. Nothing to it what so ever.

Welding the sub is exactly the same thing as what Howie does. exept he removes the clutches and puts a steel ring in its place to keep the side gears from working!
Basically your ring gear and pinion is not what teurms your axels, which is Way stronger than any side or spider gear!!!

Good luck to you all it is really the best Mod youcan ever do for you Cat!!!!

Im thinking about ordering several new sub assemblies and locking them and selling them to all the Mud Hogs out there.

Any Takers??

Old 04-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

What about ODB's idea of using the sub-assembly from the REAR dif in the front? Would eliminate the need for any welding.....and the assembly is cheaper.

Old 04-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

CatKrazy- Did they explain why the automatic diff would not interchange?

Dave- That would be the best way if we only knew if the rear assembly would fit in the front.

Old 04-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Guys listen to me

if you want it done the way i did it you can! but be advised if you screw up like i did your out about the same amount of money it would have taken to send it off to howie!

My advise to you,before you go off and start trying to build one out of another diff to interchange, i would send it off to howie and have it done right the first time, then later on buy you another sub to slip in if you want to trail ride!

Howie has been one of the major players in my deal and i would never want to compete in his systme he has going. I consider him a friend becuase he has been coordinating with me on my problems.
TRUST ME ITS WELL WORTH THE MONEY TO HAVE HIME DO IT, I was only kidding about building some and selling them. I would never do this again if I had to.

Good Luck

Scebo

Old 04-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Also
the auto cats front sub is a 42 teeth i think wel anyway it is different

Old 04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

CatKrazy you are correct - A little research shows the Auto has a lower gear ratio. The Autos have a 3:74 and the manuals have a 3:60 gear ratio.

Old 04-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

So.....if a guy like myself who has a standard with 27" tires wanted to lower the gear ratio a wee bit .......

Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

do they not make a ring gear for a manual for the rear. if so you could buy that put it in the front for
165 bucks and be done with it. just read on highlifter where a guy did some research and found out that the rear ring gear will work in the front.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

yes you could and it is less expensive.

GOD WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT,, I need to check and see if it would fit in the front housing

Can anyone tell me if the front and rear housings are the same!!!!

Old 04-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

to change gear ration you need to change the pinion also,then you are getting into the mathmatical stuff

Quick Reply: Learning from experience