ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ATC 3 WHEELER BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC 3 WHEELER BEWARE

I just seen the news and 18 people died last weekend. They are talking about a total ban on 3 wheelers of all sizes and kids quads that go over 15 mph! I don't care for this one bit. I was out this weekend for 4 days...I couldn't believe how many kids were riding without their parents watching...young kids!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is "they" and where did these people die? Were they all riding trikes? I don't see a ban on something that production was volountarily stopped 20 years ago.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Range Rover

list where all these people died please, CPSC is trying to put in their normal bull bans of trikes small quads, restrict kids etc
-------to kill 12 trike riders on one weekend would be unheard of, it didn't even happen in the mid eightties at the height of trike use.
Darrel

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
I should have said not all died on 3 wheelers...they just pointed out 3 wheelers and small ATVs. The overall number that died where from ATVs? SEADAWG

Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

this was our local news here as well, so apparently it nationwide if even we heard about it down here in louisiana. 18 deaths in one weekend.
our local news team went on to say "your days of four wheelin could be over"... that was the lead in to the story...

the CPSC is in crackdown mode. I dont know why they mentioned 3wheelers but they did - none of the big OEMs sell them here anymore so ????? They also mentioned the kids atv sale ban and the OEMs must provide free training... THEY ALREADY DO! But no one takes them up on it... Should be required, IMO.

The problem is the people not riding correctly and not watching their kids. They buy their kids one not knowing how to ride it themselves and then want to sue when they get hurt....I garrantee you 99% of ATV accidents could be avoided (but then theres the paradox with the whole accident terminology so dont even bring it up).

This really PISSES me off. I wish all those who dont ride properly or teach their kids how to would just stay the hell off the machines instead of dragging us all down with you. nice job stupid@sses. Just when the market is getting good again and back where it left off and should have been throughout the 90's. way to go. we should all tell the CPSC and our gov officials that the majority of us ride correctly...and to move ATVs OUT from under the CPSC control to the DMV, or DOT control and issue formal licensing for them like autos and motorcycles. ITs going to have to come to that i see.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with twenty. I bet most of the that get hurt/killed did not have helmets on. There are many many other things in the country that kill more people that the goverment does nothing about. Those small atvs have throttle screws on them and the parents need to step up and screw them down and be more stricked on their kids and where and when they ride. also they should make sure that their children whear the right riding equipment when they ride. It was their own choice to buy the atv and they knew the risk when they turned the key. It is not fair that those of us that know how to ride are getting slamed on just because some people out there have no sence to wear the right riding equipment or be safe on them and not do something that they are not sure the can do safely.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

one thing to be wary of in statistics is that the number of deaths are given as an OVERALL # in a particular time period........when they say stuff like "deaths on ATVs are up from 14 in 1992 to well over 100 in 2006".......they who quote stats usually forget to mention that ATV ownership has increased exponentially over that same period......and usually when one divides the numbers you find that the same PERCENTAGE of owners have died wether it was in 92 or 06........the difference being the total # of owners in each period..........makes statistics very misleading when you don`t know how the figures were accounted

here in KY they`re complaining about the same thing........and have tried to pass State legislation banning anyone under 16 riding W/O a helmet.........which is common sense anyway

the last two accidents here that caused fatalities were less than two weeks ago and one, a dirt biker, got hit head on while riding it on the road......with no helmet

the other was an ATVer who hit a tree........with no helmet

there needs to be required rider safety courses for kids.........and MORE RESPONSIBLE PARENTS TO BEGIN WITH and not government interdiction

I let my 10 year-old stepson ride an ATC 200s........with a HELMET only........he`s a large kid so he handles the machine great........but WITH RESPECT.........and my supervision and constant training.......if he gets hurt, I feel like an *** and his mom and dad will be wanting my head on a stake..........but I teach him to ride responsibly......and the first thing I taught/showed him were all my scars from my ATV accidents over the years and I taught him what I did wrong........something my Dad never did for me (he was scared of them)

start holding parents accountable for not teaching,training or supervising their kids..........my boy knows darn well that if I catch him w/o the helmet goggles and gloves on even CREEPING down the drive, the ATC is history for him........and he`s smart enough to know that and heed my warning

at some point maybe some of us should take the initiative to save this sport.........you see a child w/o gear on or supervision........tell their parents........help teach people that these can KILL you in an instant.......it may **** some folks off but there may be just one or two saved from your advice even if unsolicited.........I have cornered a parent myself on a couple of occasions........most don`t give safety much of a second thought........they think they just bought their kid a gas-powered Powerwheels with a tiny bit more grunt............sometimes folks think ATVs are much safer than they actually are and should be educated to the contrary

this is a wonderful sport for the entire family..........but it`s also can be very dangerous in rare instances and should be treated with respect, common sense and the utmost safety precautions

tell people when their messing up and could get seriously hurt............the less that die from uneducation, the more we get to ATV freely

Old 06-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

All,
It is just not helmets...they start drinking and forget about them. I'm a drinker, but my kids safety comes first. This girl was riding with my daughter and she was flat our crazy. She had a helmet...but then shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes flying all over the place. She and several other kids were out of control. Many of these areas are camping areas and I never see a Forest Ranger nor do they have a camp host! SEADAWG

Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I would agree with all of you. I have a 11 year old son and a 8 year old daughter who love to ride but they are only allowed to ride when adults are present and they have been taught to respect the machines they ride. They always wear helmets, chest protectors, and gloves when they ride and they started out young. Both kids started out by 5 on an XR50R and now the son is on a CRF80 and Raptor 80 while the daughter rides the XR50R and occasionally the Raptor 80. They all started out with throttle limits, etc and have had their fare share of "spills". I myself have ridden since I was 4 or 5 and I think that helps be able to teach the young riders resposability. Too many times yuppies move out to the "country", buy their kids an atv because a friend has one, lets them do what they want, and trouble creeps up, same as it was in the 80's when the ATC had production haulted in 87.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Trailblazer

??WHAT NEXT??
ARE THEY GOING TO BAN BICYCLES???????
GIMMY A BREAK PEOPLE CAN GET HURT WALKING
LETS B A N T H E M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!