Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying ATV, need guidence

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying ATV, need guidence

Hi.
I an looking for an ATV (my first).
I will be used around my property for transport of wood, dirt, etc, also small snow plow work (have tractor for heavy plow work). It will be used for work only.
I am confused about what is best of these items:

Gear:
Automatic, semiautomatic or manual.

Cooling:
Water or air cooled.

Transmission:
Shaft or chain

Thanks
Lars

Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
xtc
Range Rover

Here are my thoughts for your application. I would get a big (650 or bigger) 4 wheel drive,water cooled(air cooled only cools if your going fast and air is passing over the radiator),semi auto clutch(fully auto might shift at wrong time and manual with pull clutch will stall under heavy loads or you will burn out clutch fast)with semi auto at least you can pick a gear and stay there.Would also recommend shaft drive(less maintenance and you dont have to worry about crap getting into chain and sprockets)and I think all big machines are shaft drive anyway but I could be wrong.most important from above,dont skimp on size and 4-wheel drive..hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I think of work quads, I think of the Honda manual transmission (autoclutch) machines. The Rancher 350, or if you need something bigger, the Foreman 500. These are simple machines, without all the bells and whistles that a lot of machines have. They don't have transfer cases (goes along with Honda's keep it simple stupid, philosophy), but don't need them (1st gear is real low). They both are dead solid reliable!

These quads have a low center of gravity, so they are less tippy (less of a death trap!). Transverse mouted engine (more efficient power delivery), with shaft drive. They are lighter than most (Polaris, Bombardier, and Arctic Cat in particular are ridiculously heavy 700+ pound lard a$$ machines!), and handle well (for a utility anyway). Both are air cooled, so you wouldn't want to leave them sitting around idling for long, but they do have oil coolers, and fans. The torque sensing front end, works well (don't need lockers). The Foreman has selectable 2wd/4wd. The Rancher does not, so you will want to add a Warn 424.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Foreman 500 would be a great work horse and play bike, not to mention reliable, that is the machine I would buy if I was going to get a ute. I got a chance to ride one not to long ago and fell in love with it.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

if your looking for a working quad,two come to mind: arctic cat tbx[400 or 500],bombardier traxter xl[500], both units have a dumping style mini pickup bed w/tailgate[the bomb' is no longer marketed thru bomb' directly but rather thru john deere] of the 2 manufactures i like the bombardier best solely as a worker, that being said i recently purchased a 400 cat[primarily a price buy, too good to pass up, but also an excellent machine with a little more lean to a recreational model] if your interested the dealer i bought mine from is ebaying another unit[new 2005],cant beat the price, about 2k under list, and the best part is i dont think the 2006 is changed.....

Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replys.
This gear thing, how do they work on a atv, fully manual is like on a motorcycle - I guess, with clucth on left handle and gearshifter at left foot.
But the 2 other - auto and semiauto?

/Lars

Old 01-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The trannys are the same as on motorcycles. The auto and manual part, referr to the clutch. On sporty type quads (300ex, 450r and the like) have full manual clutches, exactly like street bikes. Then there are the common auto clutches of the utility type quads(bayous, foreman, ranchers and so on), that work by centrifical action, As you rev the motor...it automaticly engages the clutch pack. Whats really nice about the auto clutch types, is they wont stall, even if you try to start out in 5th gear. They are very rugged, and are suited for heavy work.
For what you are planning on doing, forget the manual clutch types.
The auto tranny quads are either of the honda (using hydostatic or torque converter type trannys, depending on what model) rincon, rubicon and 400at are the three honda autos.
Every one else uses a belt cvt tranny for autos. They work very much like a snowmobile does.
They are very simple to drive...click in high or low, give it some gas and away ya go.
On the manual shifting types, theres a foot operated lever, or on the es hondas, theres a handle bar button, that uses a motor to move the shifting action. Both are almost identicle, inside the engine cases.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Again thanks.
So auto clutch is the thing to get (semi automatic).
I read a lot about damaged belts on automatic (cvt type), so I think I will go for:

1. Liquid cooled
2. Shaft transmission
3. Auto clutch.

If i understood everything correct, this would be the best options for an utility atv (for work).
Now I just have to find it.

Regards
Lars

Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are looking at plowing, you are looking at a 4x4 utility machine. Almost all utilities have shaft drive because they need almost no maintance. Sport quads use chain, to save weight and for more efficient power transfer. Most all utilities that have a manual transmission have an automatic clutch.

Though they are supposed to be better now, I have had friends who burned up or otherwise had trouble with a belt drive (CVT) auto, so I personally would avoid those.

I would not completely rule out air cooled. The 500 Foreman is air cooled, but has two oil coolers and a cooling fan. I have never overheated mine, nor have I talked to anyone who has been able to overheat theirs. Fan does come on when running at low speeds, though... On the plus side, no radiator to smash a stick through, no coolant to change, no hoses to get old and leak...

If you go foot shift, 500 Foreman would be a good choice. Suzuki 500 Vinson is liquid cooled, and can be had in a 5 speed and would also be a decent choice.

Up from there is the Honda Rubicon. It is liquid cooled, hydrostat transmission (no belt!) and would be a good choice for plowing. It has a mode where it emulates a manual transmission if you like the feel of controlling the transmission (up and downshift buttons).

Running an auto-clutch (semi-automtic if you like) in too high a gear is something to avoid, as the engine will bog down and the clutch will slip. If it is in your price range, I think the Rubicon would be my choice for plowing or farm work as it's hyromechanical automatic transmission is very well suited to pushing a plow or pulling something heavy- And you could just throw it into drive (or low range) and let it do it's thing.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I dunno -

I sure hope these suggestions are coming from factual expereince and not anticipated forecasts. Nothing better than a guy in Arizona telling someone how to plow snow...lol

I've plowed snow for 4 years with my Polaris 500 automatic and never had a belt problem with doing that. There is enough to do when plowing then trying to find the right gear. Forward and Reverse is enough. The low range on the automatic is a god sent. Of the 8 machines in my neighborhood all are autos and we plow the streets for 6-8 blocks and many driveways. There have been no issues with belts. Even when we've had 16-20 inch storms.

What I use more than anything is the plow up down button and then the 4x4 button. Kicking it out of 4x4 to square of a quick turn is a great manuever.

And I dunno about bigger is better. I rode a new king quad the other day and it has a throttle thats either at idle or go-like-hell and thats not a good thing for manuevering around buildings and trees and cars etc. My 500 Artic cats have the smoothest throttle response of any of the Honda or Polaris machines weve had. I didn't like the new 650 AC for their throttle response either - much like the KQ.

I agree with the TBX Arctic cats for work machines. Their longer wheel base does not detract from manueverability but the usefulness of that rear dump box is amazing. And it has the MRP plug in's so a huge range of additional work related attachments can be just clipped into place.

My expereince with Honda machines are that they are cold blooded and do not like the cold weather. Hard to start and then wont idle. They put the carb ide adjusment in a place that is difficult to get to. (which is a very easy task on the AC's that I have. Along with have a primer for cold weather starting)

Heated hand grips and windshields are very popular around here for the plowing machines. We use the universal motorcycle "cruiser" windshields rather then the cheap over priced ATV lexans that just get scratched up so easily.

Good luck and keep asking questions -

P.S. Water cooled means you can add a $20 tank heater and plug the machine in for a couple of hours and it will be nice and warm for starting. When it was 22 below zero - I was glad I had that option.

Quick Reply: Buying ATV, need guidence