Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What big Utility- Bomb, BF, KQ, SP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006 | 06:56 PM
Range Rover
Default What big Utility- Bomb, BF, KQ, SP?

I think you should go with the BF, the 800 polaris is a great machine. But, its a POLARIS. Thats all i need to say. But even worse off, the Bomb. My buddy has a 400 H.O. OUtlander. 2004 Its fast, nice riding. But Bomb won't stand behind their product. When his was less then 6 months old he blew out both shafts in the front while riding in some sand and they said that they wouldn't help him out one bit. And no dought the 800 bomb its a screming a$$ machine. If your not made of money. Your gonna want some support from the company. The Brute Force looks awesome and has plenty of get up and go for your friends 800 Polaris. And it won't sound like a vaccum cleaner either.

Old 02-23-2006 | 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ductape
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Well, I have surprised even myself this time. In the end, I had an irrestistable attraction to the Artic Cat V2. Great looks, superb clearance and suspension, and that wonderful v-twin sound and power. It's in the garage now.
-However-
I never could forget that adrenalin rush from the BRP 800's power plant. It's in a class by itself in utility quads. So it's in the garage too. Our family all rides, so this isn't a case of two quads, only one driver. I'll also retract most of my earlier critical remarks about the handling on turns. I got it out for a five minute run tonight on a familar trail at home, and it was an altogether different experience. The suspension soaks up bumps as good as or better than Polaris, the steering is very quick and light on the trail, and there's enough power to twitch the rear around with your thumb. This machine I'll never let an inexpert driver get on- IMO that would be inviting an accident because of the power on tap.
So now I just have to get the break in done, and then it's on to accessorizing!

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
DT
Got the best of both worlds! I have the 2006 650V2 and love it. I would however love to have the 800 outty in my garage next to it also, but dont want to spend that much money right now, mabey later

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:03 PM
|
Trailblazer

Did some break-in rides this evening. While the BRP is the master of the HP wars, it's amazing how well the Cat hangs with it considering the BRP's advantage in displacement and weight. And top speed is closer than I would have guessed. Both are blowing well past 70, just the BRP gets there a lot quicker. The Cat (Kawi) seems to have about an extra 1,000 RPM before hitting the redline vs. the Bomb. With any substantial top end tweak I think the Cat may take the Bomb on top speed!
The biggest diff is in acceleration once you get past 50. Like most utilities, the Cat just moves up steadily from there. You can nail the Bomb at 50 and FEEL the acceleration. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'll have to concede that the Polaris does a better job than either of these in maintaining tires in contact with the ground when running rough terrain at high speed. The Cat is more stiffly sprung vs. a Sportsman while the BRP is much softer. But Polaris seems to have figured out the best combo of spring rates and shock valving.
Steering on the Cat takes a pretty heavy effort, vs. the BRP which is one of the easiest turning machines I've ridden (stock).
Cat uses a better tire IMO. The Goodyear radials seem to have good grip for a trail tire, and are well balanced. I think those Carlisles on the Bomb will be the first thing to go. Unbalanced, and too soft IMO. I think this machine will handle better with a stiffer tire.

Sorry if this is getting kind of long. I guess I'll let this thread die and move on to writing Pol v. AC v. BRP reviews... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

DT

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you have problems with the suspesion feeling stiffer than you want, you can adjust all four and it feels a little softer, but you have a dive effect when you turn sharp corners. I have mine one notch up from the middle setting, which is the best feeling for me