Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying my first ATV need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying my first ATV need help

Hi,
I am brand new to the ATV game. I have only ridden twice as a matter of fact. (Both times on Polaris Sportsman 400, 700). I want to get something that I can enjoy without a lot of hassle. I'm not handy with working on this kind of stuff myself so it will go to a dealer or friend for service. I am 5'10" and about 240 lbs. I plan on using the ATV for hunting, plowing and trail riding. Maybe some food plots at some point. I live in upstate NY so the weather can be quite cold and plenty of snow. I am not brand loyal at this point and have been reading the forum for a while. I know I want a 4x4 utility and an auto with EFI but other than that I am open to suggs. I don't want anything to overpowering at first. I am thinking of something in the 400-500 class to start and maybe passing it on to my wife and upgrading once I learn my way around riding and all. Any thoughts would be helpful. I would not mind a 2005 left over as long as it has the EFI. It just makes it easier to get going in the cold. Do any of the 300s come with EFI & are they big enough for me to plow with? Drag out deer with and such? Thanks for all your help.
Chambo10

Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Right now, i think the smallest ute with efi, is the 500 sportsman.
I wouldnt be too concerned about a carb equiped quad , starting in the cold. My two utes with carbs start just fine, down to 10f, and any colder, is too cold for riding.
300 cc...is gonna be a bit iffy. Itll do the things you want, but at its pace, not yours. If youre gonna be pulling any implements, id make sure the quad you choose has a low range.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. My concerns for the EFI are for when it is that cold and I want to plow. Might not seem like it would be that often but it can be below zero quite a bit here and still snow a lot. We get a great deal of lake effect snow which comes with the really cold temps quite a bit. I have been leaning towards either the sp 500 efi or the AC 500. Although I am keeping my options open to the Kodiak 450 or maybe stepping up to a Rincon 650 or something along those lines. I am going to test every machine I can before I make my final choice though. I will keep reading and finding out as much as I can. It seems just to easy to get carried away with wanting the biggest, baddest out there when my riding level may get me in trouble with something like that. I will not be buying until the end of April at the soonest so I have time to decide. I am going to Wy. for a turkey hunt the first week of April and I promised the wife I wouldn't buy anything until I get back. The more info I get the happier I think I will be.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know about the kodiak 450 never ridden one but for what you want both the cat 500 and the sportsman 500 would both work very well and if i were you a beginer i wouldn't get the 650 rincon until you get some experience under your belt. the sportsman 500 will run away from the cat on the trails and has more speed and power but the cat weighs less and push's and pulls and works like there is no tomarrow and if you go out riding over tree's and alot of unfriendly places the cat will work better. and the reliability thing comes into play as well and polaris has been knowen for having a higher maintanance machine. i would drive all three if i was you and see what fits you best and good luck on your purchase.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

oh i forgot i used to have a 500 cat and opening day of deer season 3 years ago was -17 and on the carb they had a lil primer i primed it 4 times and it turned over once and popped right off.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I am also considering smaller ATVs like the kawi 360 and such. I don't care about the speed when trail riding. I just want something to enjoy, plow, and hunt. This machine will most likely get handed down to my wife in a couple of years , so too big is a concern also. I have looked at the Kodiaks too. I will test ride everything I can once I get back from Wy. turkey hunt.
Thanks

Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chambo10, Not sure exactly where you live in NY, but I am in Roch so the weather is about the same as you describe. While EFI is nice, it is only a recent development in the atv community. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a carbuerated model, if it does give you a hard time starting, you just go up on the main and the pilot jets a bit. Depending on access to the carb, this is a 10 minute no brainer job. You can do it, I promise. My quad has started right up, even after sitting for a week, with little fan fare all this winter and last. Mine has a tiny battery too, much smaller than you will get stock on a ute. As for plowing and dragging out deer, I have done both with an old 230cc Suzuki. In fact, I have daisy chained an old, heavy logsplitter and a medium sized utility cart with some wood, chainsaw, other gear and done well over moderate terrain. Another 100/150cc and 4wd would have worked much better though. You should definately be looking for something with dual range. Personally, for doing real grunt work, I think a gear on gear tranny works best, which puts you in the realm of Suzuki and Arctic Cat. Honda has a car type geared tranny also on a few models. The wife would probably prefer a gas and go automatic(Honda or CVT) if the quad becomes a legacy though... I have never worked a food plot, but for everything else you want to do, a 400 class ute should work wonderfully. AC is well known for there aftermarket attachments and vehicle durability, you may want to look at what they have to offer.

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 05' kodiak 450 and there is never a problem (cold 10 degree starting), but the idle thumb screw needed turned in a bit from the factory setting.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Choosing the right utility quad is a difficult decision. For some (like me when I started) – we really don’t have the experience with ATV’s to fully know what we might end up useing it for – we just want to get into riding one. For others there is a more defined use and expectation. Some want to trail ride with friends or join clubs and make new friends, some want to use it as family recreation or some want it for hunting. And some owners are into more technical or competitive riding in mud or up mountains where a specific use helps dictate specific features or functionality. Unfortunetly many first time buyers do not look at the full lineup of different manufacturers before they buy and later find themselves regretting not doing that.

For the most part all of the major ATV brands are pretty close in areas of dependability and reliability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, performance, top speed etc etc. Some brands stand out slightly more then others but there is no cast in stone rule that says a Honda will out last a Kawasaki – truth is, more has to do with how you drive and care for the machine. I’ve seen plenty of trashed out Honda’s over the years. My brother has one that has been a POS lemon since day one. My cousin has a 98 Arctic Cat that looks and runs like new. Arctic Cats are not fast and some say always in the back of the pack - but they pass the broke down, stuck in the mud and tipped over quads on the trail.

Most important to the “right” machine is what you intend to use the machine for.

If you are like me then you want to have the best all around most useful machine that you never regret purchasing…ever.

A perfect ATV! I wish they made one - but they don’t!

Way to many variables! Your decision should be based on the full spectrum of what you intend to use it for - that deserves the most pre-purchase thought and attention.

There are so MANY uses - trail riding, hauling, mudding, swamping, mountain riding, transportation, recreation, riding together with friends, carrying a passenger, carrying loads of dirt, towing trailers, rock crawling.. I know one guy who’s specific and only use if his ATV is to ride it in Parades! His needs are way different as are the needs and options for all of these uses. But unless your really really lucky – you likely get to choose only one machine to meet all of your needs no matter how diverse they might be.

For us – I knew after the first ATV went over backwards with the wife and I on it – that we really needed a two rider ATV. Polaris, Bombardier and Arctic Cat make those. But since starting to deer hunt (which I NEVER thought I would do) my eyes have turned to a Arctic Cat TBX for its multi-function rack options and that rear box to carry my deer stand on. Not having any chance at getting that - I have taken full advantage of the MRP options using my Artic Cat MRP rackage. A look at my PICs here will expose the over indulgence in accessories for my TRV with both hunting and ice fishing and other equipment attached there to. Again – who’d of thought! When I bought my first ATV I never imagined my using one for ice fishing or hunting - Never. Now look at it. 1st Runner up for the Beverly Hillbilly’s truck.

The point is – its all about options and Flexibility and Specifications.

Not all ATV’s score high in all of these areas. I think Polaris has likely the 2nd best score in the O F S (options and Flexibility and Specifications) area as they do have a few box choices, accessories and bag options and their specifications are pretty good –

But first place has to go to Arctic Cat as their catalog of Speed Rack (MRP) options are 2nd to none and the flexibility to re-provision the machine for whatever mission is required is unmatched by any manufacturer. The Arctic Cats own the specifications area also with the best ground clearance, IRS and ruggedness over any other brand. In the 400 and 500 class of machines the Artic Cat is the value choice for single and two rider quads. Go out and price them. If your into arm pulling raw power the new 700 is outrageous in performance.

As I said - I hunt with my machine. This means I'm not on ATV trails and I'm often a ways from anyone else. And it means that I'm carrying everything with me. Tree stands, bows, arrows, food, dry clothing, rain gear, back packs, fanny packs, electronics, ropes, knives, lanterns, stoves, water sometimes sleeping bags and tents.... geesh - a pickup truck load of stuff! but with the plug-in Arctic Cat baskets, equipment racks, tool holders, bags, boxes - well.. its all there - SECURE - and functional. And towing a trailer! (gotta have something to haul that buck back with..)

Ok – so I’m a little biased about the Arctic Cats. After previously owning 3 Polaris and 1 Honda I will claim a little expertise and beg a little leeway... I did put a lot of work into considering the O.F.S. of each brand BEFORE I bought the AC's.

Whatever quad you choose – just be sure to give it a LOT of thought and try to see how flexible each brand is going be and how satisfied you are going to be with your decision.

Good luck!