Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

12 second-hand Honda ATV's wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 second-hand Honda ATV's wanted

I want to buy 12 secondhand Hondas over the next few months. Can anyone direct me to a reputable dealer who I can buy them from (perhaps someone who takes trade-ins) and who will store them for me until I have enough to fill a shipping container. I will also want to buy up spare parts/tyres. I am looking for 6 x RECONs, 3 x FOREMAN and 3 x TRX400 or 300EX.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hey PK. I'm curious why you are only interested in used Hondas. Is it because you have found them to be more trouble-free? easier to work on? easier to get parts for? red is your favorite color? ??

Old 05-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've had bikes all my life and after getting blown away on my Triumph at Bay Park Raceway by a the fantastic new Z900 I switched to Kawasaki for years. I started racing sidecars (roadracing) in Oz initiatially using TZs and my first season in the UK ran a couple of GPZ engines. After several topend failures even when using titanium valves, I switched to Honda. Lots of work on them and long nights on the dyno but never another engine failure - the odd brake or ... but it did me well enough to win the newcomers award at the Isle of Man TT races (sidecar) in 95 which are long hard races. Yamahas had a better torque curve but harder to keep them going.

I run some little Suzukis LT160s and I spend 5 times as much on spares now. Lots of old Yamaha and SUzuki dirtbikes out here but the XLR I have goes best. Most of the people we take out on safari don't know how to ride anyway and what we most need out here is 'robust' cause there ain't no shop down the road where I can get more spares. Mr DHL is makes lots of money out of that. We want to open up a market in East Africa for ATVs and I want to have machines that will keep going without necessarily having the latest greatest traction control features. I know with Honda I will get that. These Artic Cat machines seem to do well going by comments in the forums and no offence to Mrs Yamaha & Suzuki but I am sold on the Hondas that we have and it'll be easier to stick with one marque so that we can keep up a supply of spares. I want to make a trip to the States later this year and if I can pre-buy a bunch of them before I arrive it'll make it easier/cheaper to get a container full rather then chasing them up while there.

Well that's a rather long blown answer - a bit verbose this morning and I better get off to work. Cheers, PK.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

That's kind of what I was thinking. I used to have a 96 Honda 300 4x4. If I had to truely trust a quad with my life, I think I would want it to be a quad just like that.

I found your website AtAdventures. That looks like a lot of fun and the scenery is beautiful. Are there any issues with government stability over there? That part of the world has been pretty scary lately.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Uganda has had a bunch of rebels running around in the North for 20 years and many people still associate the place with Idi Amin although he left Uganda 31 years ago. The last elections 2 months ago went off without any hassels and the displacements in the north don't get anywhere near here. The driving is manic but the people are very friendly. We only get power every other day as Lake Victoroia is so low that there's not enough hydro power and fuel (diesil goes for just over a buck a litre and petrol is about $1.20) is expensive because it all has to come through Kenya from UAE etc. Drives ya a bit nuts at times trying to get things done and other days it flows. Tourism is growing very fast - more then doubled in the time we have been here. Lots of good things and a bit of freedom that you can't get in eg. NZ where I am from.

Anyway back to the tread - any good dealers you can recommend who might be able to help with second hand quads?