Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

PLEASE HELP!! untitled quad

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 11:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess i screwed myself this time . i bought an atv without a title. i was the 1st to respond to an ad that was an awsome deal that had appeared in the local cycle trader. the owner told me that she didnt have it(title) because her husband left her and she dosnt know were it is. the hubby told her to do what ever she wanted with the quads. that was 6 mos ago ,they havent talked sinse and she dosnt even know were he is.she decided it was time to get rid of them.
i bought the quad thinking that i can get a bonded title. the next day when i went to compare the serial #s from the receipt to the frame i discovered that they were gone. now i cant get it titled right???
do any of you have untitled/unliscened machines?
i know i should have checked the #'s before the purchase , but it was such a good deal i just wanted to get it over with because of the amount of responce from the ad (phone calls and people on their way with cash, people offering more than asking price to hold it!)
is there always a market for such an item?? would someone else have bought it if i had not???
any response is appreciated.

Old 02-17-2001, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

When did you buy the quad and how did you pay for it? You may be able to stop payment on a check. If you paid cash, I would talk to someone from your local police department, tell them your situation, and take their advice. Odds are the person that you bought the quad from will get arrested and you will get your money back through the court system. In any case I would report it to the authorities, there really is no other way for you to deal with this machine. You can't sell it, you'd be selling stolen merchandise and as bad as the person you bought it from.

Old 02-17-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Not all is lost for sure. Keep in mind that many states do not require the owner to purchase a title for ATV's since they are not street legal. A simple Bill of Sale and your cancelled check may be all you will need to prove ownership.

If you live in state that does require them, go to your local county Tax Collectors office and pick up an application for a lost title. The person who helps you should be able to advise you as to whether or not the wife can sign the new title over to you if it is listed only in her husbands name. If it's listed in her or both names and she is willing to sign the application, you're home free.

The Tax Office will probably also ask you to make a paper rubbing of the serial number as it appears on the frame to prove that you do in fact have possession of the ATV in question.

Of course I'm writing all this with the idea that the serial numbers have not been purposely shaved off the frame. If that is the case, there may be other state laws to protect you if you report it within a given period of time. However, such laws may not help you get your money back.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

#'s are gone---damit

Old 02-18-2001, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, done that....you're screwed.

Make the attempt to stop payment on the check or go and get your money back NOW with the threat to the seller that her refusal to deal with you will indicate her guilt to the cops when you tell them. Unfortunately, this probably will not work so yes, you're screwed. Filed off numbers = stolen bike. Call the cops now, tell them the story, hope you at least have a bill of sale or a cancelled check. (even the newspaper ad will help). If you turn it in the cops will believe you, if they ever find out any other way - you're up for trafficing in stolen property.

I bought one as you did three years ago next week. Mine got even better, the guy I bought it from cashed my check - then called the cops and told them I had a stolen ATV in my garage. I lost the ATV and my money. It has taken all of the three years and 5 court appearances but I am supposed to receive the first payment from the SOB in two weeks.
While letting the courts handle this is good sound advice, be advised that this is way too small of a thing for anyone to really care. You show that you have had ATV's stolen before so you probably know this already. In the end you will spend more in time and money than you've lost on the ATV. The seller knows this. Don't buy the ex husband story, most likely it is just that, a story.

Goood luck

Old 02-18-2001, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

so your saying -
report it to the cops, let them impound it
try to get my mony back over a 3 year period.
miss 5 days of work(5 days pay) attend court 5 times to try to get some kind of payments from a single divorsed mother.
or--
ride the s#*t out of it and run it into the ground.
JAYBEECON55...
i really appriciate your response , but dont you wish that the later is what you had done-seriously!

Old 02-18-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

If that is worse that going to jail for receiving stolen property then go for it. However, the courts will be less understanding the longer you wait.

Old 02-19-2001, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

The longer you keep that machine the harder it will be to get your money back. Do you really think you'll enjoy riding a quad that you believe to be stolen? How will you be able to sleep at night? Do the right thing and consider it an expensive lesson, if you get the money back it will be a bonus and you may get the satisfaction of putting the real thief in jail. I see by your signature that you've had machines stolen from you, so think about the rightful owner. You'll be happier with yourself in the long run.

I think you know what you need to do, otherwise you wouldn't have posted your question in the first place!

Good Luck!
MikeR

Old 02-19-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I can't say for sure, but there might be some middle ground here.

a. Do you really think its stolen property? Lots of people lose paperwork and who knows why there's no numbers on it.

b. Are these people still around? Can you go back and ask a few questions? Not necessarily get you money back, but maybe figure out if there really is something fishy here.

c. If you really think its stolen, then report it to the police. If the owner shows up, explain that you're out some serious money on the deal and you were trying to do the right thing and would appreciate some offer of reimbursement for your time and your loss.

d. Even if stolen and reported, the crime could have been years ago and miles away. Not that I want to see the rightful owner lose out, but if he doesn't turn up, you can probably keep it -- and know you tried to do the right thing.

One last thought. When she said her husband didn't care what she did with the quads, that was your cue to be suspicious. How many guys would walk away from an ATV in a divorce?

Old 02-20-2001, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

When mine got stolen the cops said that they have some new chemical that brings out the filed off serial numbers. Check into it.