Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need a new atv and advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:51 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default need a new atv and advice

want to update my 95 polaris 400 explorer (it's been good to me but I'm not brand loyal), whats the best utility out there these days, I carry a 200 lb sprayer for the yard and do other typical farm jobs with it, don't really pull anything heavy with it, put about 4000 miles on it since new in 95. thks

Old 06-13-2010 | 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Anything these days are pretty good. There are no more 4wheel drive 2 strokes utility atvs. if you want automatic,then just about everything 500cc and up is available. There are even 400s and 450s just depends on which atv. If you want a manual(auto clutch) they usually stop at 500cc. Your best option is to look at all of the ones that intrest you and test drive them. They all offer different things on each make and model. A few questions you may ask your self:
Do you need 4x4?
Do you need differential locker? Polaris is an auto locker and can am claims they are and not to bash but i have a can am 500 and it dont work. its 3 wheel drive. 4 wheel
sometimes. other models have a switch to flip and locks it in with all 4 tires spinning.
Do you want independent suspension or solid rear axle? independent is gonna be smoother ride and tends to give a higher ground clearance.
Fuel capacity? if its an issue.
Rack storage? some racks are small,some are larger.
EFI(electronic fuel injection). Do you need it? makes winter start up easier but i never had an issue with carbs starting. great for altitude change though.
EPS(electronic power steering). Makes it easier to steer,obviously.
The list goes on and im sure others can help with this subject. The best bike is gonna be the one you like and feel comfortable riding.

Old 06-13-2010 | 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

if you want a reliable, durable, slow-moving workhorse that is easy maintenance, i'd look at the honda foreman 500 manual shift. the foreman rubicon is also very good for work, but is a little more complex with a liquid cooled engine and hydrostatic transmission.

if you dont need a huge machine, a basic manual shift honda rancher or a yamaha big bear 400 are pretty basic machines. what is your price range and what else does it do around the farm?

Old 06-13-2010 | 01:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I do want to stick with automatic, 4x4, duel range trans, and solid rear axle would be good (easier to turn on the lawn without hurting the grass) but didn't think it was available anymore. it does alot of spot spraying and zipping to the fields and back, and draining water (mudding). 99% work.

Old 06-13-2010 | 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mbdoo
I do want to stick with automatic, 4x4, duel range trans, and solid rear axle would be good (easier to turn on the lawn without hurting the grass) but didn't think it was available anymore. it does alot of spot spraying and zipping to the fields and back, and draining water (mudding). 99% work.
the honda rubicon is an automatic, dual range 4x4 with a solid rear axle. the hydrostatic transmissions is the same design commonly found on tractors and bulldozers, and no belt to blow out. it was built for work on this machine...

but if you want a rubber band, er, a typical auto tranny, kawasaki makes a brute force 650 with a solid rear axle.

i highly recommend power steering as well....good luck!

Old 06-13-2010 | 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

suzuki has a solid rear axle and is automatic in a 400cc maybe even a 450 and 500. You'll have to look into it if interested. Nothing wrong with the belts. Look how long your polaris held up. I also dont understand why a solid rear axle will tear the grass more than independent. Both rear wheels spin the same amount when turning so the tire on the inside of the turn turns more sharp than the other which is why the grass gets tore up. unless the atv has turf mode which some polaris and now arctic cat has. This will allow only one wheel to spin which will not tear up the lawn. either way its your choice but you do limit to certain atvs going with solid axle only.

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

when I turn I can take some weight off the inside back wheel and it would seem less effective on an independent, maybe I'm wrong

Old 06-13-2010 | 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by mbdoo
Polaris Sportsman X2. Previous to this years model was offered in 500, 700, and 800cc versions. 2010 version is a 550. It has a dump bed that is rated to carry 400 lbs. on the rear suspension. It also has a rear differential that can be unlocked with a switch to make it a one wheel drive. It damages the turf a lot less than any quad I have ever been on. The dump bed is kind of like a pickup bed with a tailgate that goes up and down. It also converts to a second seat for the times you want to ride 2-up. It has an automatic with 4wd, 2wd, and Turf mode (1wd). The transmission has Hi, Lo, N, R, and Park.