Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking for quads

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for quads

My wife and i Just started to ride a buddys quad over the summer. We are looking to get four of them (to make it a family thing). We will not be buying until about Feb. I was looking into the cheap Chinese ones, but I'm doing my research now, and they are not looking like a good option. I'm thinking we will get some good used ones. I am 6'4 a little over 200 lbs. My wife is 5'4 120. I would like a manual and she wants auto or semi auto. And we also want two for the kids 8 and 12. We would like to stay around 5k most 6k. For all. If we need to the kids could share one. We have been riding a 97 Kawasaki 300ES 4x4. I feel its a little to bulky and I would like a sport. The wife didn't care, just she would prefer auto in whatevee it is. I do trails, some mud, creek crossings, and hillclimbs. She and the kids will just be doing some trails. So any advice ? And thanx in advance.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well- first, welcome to the forum.

second- stay away from the chinese quads- they are junk. the quality is not there, and the parts just don't hold up to the abuse of a trail. You're better off with a used brand name than a new chinese atv.

you mention the bulk of your riding is in the trails, mud & water crossing... this kind of terrain is not really optimal for a sport quad- sport quads have very little groung clearance (GC) and live axles (SRA) and are really best in pits, dunes, dirt tracks and fields- whereas all full size 4x4 atv's have indpendant rear suspension (IRS) and offer a much more comfortable ride, better control and more GC than the sport quads over rough terrain.

you really should be looking at full size 4x4 atv's for your size & weight- something over 500cc. the bad news is, these atv's are not cheap. my new 2011 can-am outlander cost me about $12k, even a new polaris sportsman 500 or 550 is around $6 - $8k. The japanese atv's are not far behind in prices either- yamaha, honda, kawasaki & suzuki full size 4x4 atv's will be around $6 - $8k new also.

every full size 4x4 atv uses an auto clutch (CVT) except honda, which does not use a CVT clutch- but even the honda tranny is auto. There are no manual shifting 4x4 atv's.

there are a hundred choices- even new sport quads in the 400cc range are between $4k - $5k.

I will mention- you get what you pay for in atv's- if you decide to go cheap and small, then you'll feel cramped (knees always bent) and you'll spend more money in repairs. At 6'4", just about every sport quad you sit on will cause your knees to almost hit the handle bars, which is why I suggest you buy a full size 4x4 atv like an outlander, sportsman, grizzly, king quad, rincon or brute force. All of these full size 4x4 atv's will allow you to sit comfortably with your knees at a more natural angle.

you'll be able to find a decent newer used one in the $4-$6k range.

have you thought about just buying two used 2-up atv's for you & your wife, then you can stick the kids on the back seat? There's only three factory 2-up choices- can-am max, polaris touring and the arctic cat.

do lots of research before you buy. It's a fun sport, but not much fun when the rider is not properly matched to the right machine

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for the welcome, and Thanx for the advice, and yes since I started looking into them the Chinese quads do not look good. And I guess I didn't mention... I do not want new, would prefer used. Was only looking at the new Chinese because of price. I have been a mechanic for awhile, and used to ride and repair dirt bikes, so I can and will be doing my own repairs. Which is another reason I want to go used, because I can repair them myself. And I research a lot before I purchase much of anything. Saw that this place looked very helpful.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to find a couple used sportsman 400 - 500's in the $2500 - $3k range... the polaris outlaw is a decent sport quad with IRS, chould be in the $2k range also.
My wife loved her honda 250ex - was the perfect perfect size for her as she's maybe 5' tall and 120 lbs. should be able to find one for around $1200 or so-
Your 8 yo would enjoy a polaris 90 sportsman- a very stable and sturdy atv for a child - maybe around $1100. your teenager would like the honda 300ex- again, shold be able to find one for around $1500.

just some suggestions

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx that's why I came here, get some suggestions. Thanx for the help.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Ill suggest some models that were offered from around 2002-2008. Most or ALL 4wd atvs will offer selectable 2/4wd option,some will offer a front locking differential which will lock ALL 4 tires and they will all spin equally for best traction. older arctic cats 400cc and up were offered in automatic. the 400I and 500I (It means independant rear suspension- IRS) were very solid machines,i owned and still own arctic cat. 2002 and up would be the better choice if you were to look into an arctic cat. They also had semi auto back then as well up to about 2005 maybe longer.

Can am has a powerful engine. there 400cc engine produce power that others only get out of a 500 or 600cc. they have 2/4wd. IRS(independent rear suspension) can am is more sporty than they are hard working,low profile handle bars,and sporty feel.

hondas are the underdog as far as todays atvs,they lack options others have. like ground clearance (GC),power is the least but not necessarily horrible. no diff lock,some models have drum brakes,just some old school stuff. they run really well though. only a couple models offer IRS.

kawasaki has the prarie 300 SRA,650 and 750 brute force IRS. Great power on the 650 and 750,diff lock although it a goofy lever,but i guess it works.

polaris has sportsman 400,500,550,800,850EFI,and in past models offered a 600 and 700efi. Good running bikes,very smooth and comfy.

suzuki offered the eiger 400 not sure if it was auto or not though, and as of a few years ago king quad 450,500,750 and maybe some inbetween,i cant remember that far back what exactly was offered. depending on year some had the diff locker and EFI.

yamaha had kodiak 400,450, grizzly 600(maybe older than 2002),660,700EFI and new models offered a 550.

These are some of the models from each manufacturer that offered some pretty reliable atvs. Some of these had issues in their own way but dont remeber a great deal of troubles, and these are the atvs that you will most likely find for the prices your looking for. Obviously the older it is the cheaper it will be,but low mileage(depending on year) is what matters. Id say anything around 2002 with 3,000 miles or less would be good and it depends on how them miles were put on,mud,trail,farm,ect... Ive seen some 2002 models with just a few hundred miles on them for cheap,just gotta look. Oh, I know the arctic cat 650 V2(kawasaki engine) had problems. the 650 V2 on the prarie or brute force seemed to be ok as far as i recall. someone can correct me if im wrong. maybe they bent tie rods that year??!!

My decisions would be out of yamaha,arctic cat,suzuki and polaris. Thats just my personal preference. I own a can am 500,but not quite the kind of atv i want for my style of riding so my wife rides it.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm learning a lot here, and from what I've read those are good recommendations.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all the help, and quick responses. And as I said I'll be getting them in three to six months, so I'm going to continue researching, and getting any advice that the members here offer. I'm not trying to go out and just buy the first thing I see. I want to be informed, and learn as much as I can beforehand. A majority of my riding experience has been on dirt bikes, and street bikes. We only started riding quads this summer. And from the riding we have done my wife and I really enjoy it, and the kids have been asking for quads, figured out would be a nice family thing to do. We all love being outside, and the rising we have done has been relaxing, and enjoyable. So again thanx for the responses so far, it has already helped quite a bit. And I'm sure as I browse thru the forums I will learn more. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. So any advice is always welcome.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

you could go to your local dealers and test ride some used units that you are interested in and come back on here with details of the atvs you liked best. Then we could help narrow it down as far as reliability,ect... test rides will narrow your choices alot quicker,once you sit on some you may or may not instantly like it and if your not comfy right away,then you know to kick that one out.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

When buying used ATV's, the biggest issue is if the machine you are buying has been abused. Use your mechanical background and look the frames over, check the oil, etc., I'm sure you know how. The best advice is to try and find out who owned it previously so you can find out how they treated it. A poor machine can become a money pit very quickly.

Quick Reply: looking for quads