Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to the forum & ATVs ... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to get an ATV. I had no idea there was so much to choose from and I've got some questons I hope some of you folks can help me with.

First, what I will be using it for mainly:

1. Plowing snow on 300 feet of gravel drive and a big garage pad. Heavy snow in the 1 foot range is common but very little drifting (in the timber). There will be a lot of pushing snow so a quick transition between forward and reverse is important.

2. Hauling deer and firewood out of the timber with some steep terrain.

3. Speed is NOT important, reliability is.

Now, what I need some help with:

1. From what I've read on here, I think one in the 400cc range would handle the job. Would one in the 300 range do the job or should I be looking more toward the 500?

2. I'm trying to narrow the choice on Manufacturers before starting the rounds with the dealers to save time. I'm leaning toward ArticCat, Honda, and Polaris. However, I've read some disturbing things about Polaris quality. Have they got their act together or are they still having problems?

3. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of automatics versus manual transmissions and still haven't made my mind up. Any suggestions (remember that the transition between forward and reverse needs to be quick and smooth)? Shifting gears does not bother me.

4. Finally, I'm having the same problem with rear suspensions. Independant, semi-independant, fixed axle?

I would certainly appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 01-09-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

i PERSONALY think that a honda or yamaha is a good choice (honda is better known for reliablity)
you probaly will like a automatic but for manual yamaha is generally easier to shift from forward to reverse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. all three engine classes should a 400 should do the job but the bigger the engine the less it will have to work( less wear and tear so it will lasts longer)
2. out of the three Iwould go with the honda, everyone i know with a polaris has problems with them, from what i hear artic cat is a good guad just a little out of date
3.automatic trannys are pretty good but i dont know how they would hold up under constant load personaly i like manual i`d say it would better cause the auto as you get faster it will just keep going faster the manual will stay in a low gear, as for reverse just check that out when you go to the dealer.
4.all the suspension set ups are good just depends how smooth of a ride you want
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
hope this helps (i don`t know to much about utility atvs) but the best advice i can give is just talk with the dealer see what they think most dealers will not try to rip you off but watch out some will

Old 01-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Blaster!

Old 01-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Hi welcome to the forum. I love my Polaris and have had no quality issues with it but I choose it because I like speed with my work and some of the newer models were not out when I bought it. I think based on what you have said I would look into the Artic Cat Machines. There are a few people out there that post that really know there stuff about the cats. I test drove them and they really grunt. Good luck hunting. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-10-2002, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

My choice for general farm work and a little hunting and playing would be:HONDA. The Honda Foreman series is known for their reliablity, they won't let you down. I use mine(TRX450-S) mostly for trail riding in the Appalachian Mtns., but also haul fire wood, pull the boat trlr. around, etc. Great machine, it should fill ALL your needs EXCEPT: Forward/Reverse engagement issue. Don't know that ANY quad can fill that bill. You may need something with a hydrostatic trans., to do what you want to do. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't found anything my Rancher can't do but it sounds like a foreman 450 would work. I went Honda for the reliability.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

A 4X4 appears to be a must given the snow and rough terrain.
400cc engine should be plenty unless you want a built in heater too
Honda does not make the only reliable ATV on the market. However, one or two of the snowmobile makers have seen problems with reliability in the past.
An auto clutch might work better for you than one of the fully automatics.

Old 01-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the inputs folks. I ended up with an Artic Cat 500i auto after spending some time on the AC forum. Honda was a close second. Price turned out to be the discriminator. Glad to have the decision behind me and having fun getting it broke-in.

Bob