Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking for a new quad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife said she is going to get me a new quad (2nd one) for our anniversary[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I already have an automatic so am looking for a 5 speed 4x4 utility. I'm considering a Buyou 300 + or a a Wolverine. I'd rather have in and out 4x4 and decent power. I don't want a Honda 450 because the front end pops up too easy on bad hills although a good bike. Maybe a rancher though? What would you guys get and why?? (I'd rather stay away from Polaris and Arctic Cat). I've considered a new griz but look like they sit too high and the 650 is nice but leary about a Kawasaki belt and what's with that handle bar cover? Thanks for any info.

have owned:
01 honda 250 ex/ sold
95 Kodiak 4x4/ nice/ sold
00 quadrunner/ nice but no speed/ sold
94 Polaris 300 4x4/ nice but chain bike/ sold
98 Honda recon/ sold
90 T-wolf (1st quad) sold

Old 05-17-2002, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

Why would you rather stay away from the Cats? They have Suzuki motors with a stronger frames, more suspension travel, more clearance, and better towing.

300's come in 5 speeds, 375's come in autos, 400's come in 5 speeds, and 500's come in autos and 5 speeds. 500's currently have the most torque of all ATV's(stock). 300 and up allows you to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive with a lever, unlike the electric setups that get wet and fail.

What more could you ask for? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've never known an electric setup to get wet and fail. Actually I like the features and looks of the AC's but have talked to too many people who have problems with them. My friend just bought a new 250 4x4 and it doesn't run right and the dealer won't help, just says nothings wrong w/ it. It stalls out all the time on hills and mud and it brand new. I know it might might be a fluke and I have read nothing but good things about them on this forum.

I am considering a new Suzuki 500 quadrunner however. Do they have good power etc.? Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-17-2002, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

Soudn slike your friend needs a new dealer because it sounds like he needs to have the vavles and carb adjusted. You are suppose to o this on new ACs after break in period. I have never had a water problem yet. Of course I have not had it in any deep water yet. Just about 16 inches of water or so. but I clean it with a pressure washer and it fires right up after that. My only problems have been the idle was to low, it is cold natured, and my display lights appear to have a short in them. I love cat and none of these problems are big enough to keep from buying another. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I test rode a new quadrunner 500. I know my Kodiak would outrun it but am not looking for speed. It is a nice bike but the only flaw is that the back front fender hangs down too far. Even the dealer said they get ripped off. He suggested to trim it but I can't see cutting on a new machine. If it had floorboards it would be better. If only Yamaha made a 500 5 speed...

Old 05-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jham,

I always wanted a Kodiak but couldn't find one in my price range and bought a Suzuki Eiger a few weeks back. I just found a nice 2000 kodiak and bought it for the wife. Nice machine but it feels very different from the Eiger. I now know why some say it (the Kodiak) feels tippy... I get that impression riding too. Side by side, it looks almost the same size as the Eiger but when you get on each machine, the Suzuki feels larger and more stable. Personal preferance I guess. Anyway, have you considered the Eiger 4x4 5 speed? The price is great and I think it's worth a look and test ride.

Old 05-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I've heard that said about the Kodiak. However, once you get used to it, it is very stable. It's light weight enables you to slightly shift your weight and control it well. I'd say it more of feels tippy than it actually is. Other than hard on the rear brake, the Kodiak has been the best bike I've ever had in performance and reliability.

I know one guy who bought an Eiger and he said there was some recalls and has taken it to the shop a few times. It's a good looking bike though. Got a brochure from the Suzuki shop so I may look into the Eiger. What is your experience w/ it. Decent power? Reliability? What was the recall about? Thanks.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

JHAM,

It's my understanding that there was 1 recall related to the 5 speed version where a crank nut would back-off in certain conditions causing a knock. This was supposedly on early models only. I don't think there have been any other Eiger recalls. I know the Vinson has had some but since the original Eiger nut problem, I'm not aware of any other recall (but I could be wrong).

Here's my review of the two machines if your interested. I try to be bluntly honest. I don't wish to offend anyone or bash anyones ride...this is just my opinion.

My impression of the machine is quite good. The only common complaint is that the shifter is a little stiff. I have this complaint too but I don't think of it as a problem. On the Suzuki, it appears the shift is directly linked to the sub-transmissions gear engagement. If the tranny teeth aren't lined up, then the lever won't engage that gear and you have to rock the machine a little to get the teeth to rotate and line-up. The Kodiak shifts much better but it appears that the shift is spring loaded and isn't directly connected to the gears. On my Kodiak what happens is that you can move the lever at will but for instance, when you put the lever in park, you don't always get the park indicator. You rock the machine and you hear the park gear snap in place and the indicator lights. I've had this happen going into reverse and forward as well. If your not careful and you gun it before the gears mesh, you get this jarring engagement that I don't think is good for the box. In my mind, having a lever that's directly tied to the gears may be is a little more trouble to engage but probably safer for the machine.

The Yamaha plastics are better in my view. They are thicker, stronger and have a better finish. The flip side is that the Suzuki are more flexible and less prone to break?

Suspension: Kodiak is adjustable... Suzuki is not. But, I think the Suzuki has a smoother ride yet it's firmer in the corners.

Power; I still have my Eiger throttle stop set to just over half so I can't compare full throttle preformance between the two. I still think the Kodiak will have better pick-up because it's 401cc vs 376cc and its about 50 pounds lighter. But even with the limited throttle, the Eiger has excellent power and spins the tires at will. Others have posted that the top speed is over 50 and thats plenty for me. It will be interesting to compare pick-up and speed once the Eiger is broken in, but to me, I feel the differences will be negligable.

I think the Yamaha stops better than the Suzuki, partially because of weight but not entirely. The Kodiak has better brakes. Also, I think the Yamaha has a better approach angle for hills. I find the Eigers front wheels are a little too far back and if you carry some speed into a real steep ascent, the front bumper can bottom out.

Where the Eiger really shines is in its simplicity, stabilty and climbing. Where the Kodiak feels like it's on the limit (and about to go onto 2 wheels), the Eiger feels like your no where near its limits. I find this both in turns, and on hillsides. The difference is pretty dramatic. While they both climb excellent straight on, I give the edge to the Eiger (maybe better front diff??).

The Kodiak is a little better on very slow, tight trails (size and steering).But the Eiger takes over at medium and higher speeds... it's nimble and much more stable. I find I'm much more confident on the Eiger.

I think the Yamaha reputation for relaiblity speaks for itself. I haven't had any real issues with the Suzuki but only time will tell as this is a new model. I do like that the Suzuki transmissions belt is constantly spinning where the Yamaha is not. But, both systems have a similar history for being very reliable. In your case, this wouldn't be an issue with the 5 speed.

The Suzuki 4x4 selector is simple a cable. the Kodiak is solenoid and just like the shifter, you can hear is the solenoid actuate but it doesn't always engage right away. I'm a firm believer in simple is better.

Bottom line, both machines are pretty impressive. If you read above, the Kodiak has many qualities that I prefer over the Eiger. I always wanted the Kodiak and settled for the Eiger when I couldn't find one. Now, given a choice on which to ride, I would hop on the Eiger every time.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I am interested in one now, but I want the 5 speed since I'm satisfied w/ my auto. I rode a guys Eiger auto yesterday. The Kodiak is faster and by that I mean just more pull and quicker acceleration. But again, I'm not out for speed but I do want some decent acceleration which it had. His seemed extremely cold natured. He had to choke it for several minutes in 70 degree weather. Are they all like this? He admitted it was a pain but was ok when warm which is similar to Hondas I've owned. One thing about Yamahas I've had and my Kodiak is that they are ONE touch starting, no choke unless very cold, which is nice. I think his is one of many that the dealer said they received a bunch that were jetted for out west and had to rejet all of them. Do you have to choke in warm weather? It is a nice looking machine. To me bigger is not better, especially when going up and down scary inclines, etc. I'm 6' and 190 pounds and could have a bigger bike but their are no good 5 speeds out there 500cc or larger that I'm aware of. The AC 500i seemed nice but then saw the weight and don't want anything that heavy. Plus I've read about too many little probs w/ them such as squeaking/ grinding axles. The 450 Honda is too slow and light in the front end. I'm hesitant about getting another 400 and feel compelled to get a bigger cc then what I have. But I am leaning to an Eiger 5sp at this point. Thanks...