CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil light flicker on idle... What should I look at?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light flicker on idle... What should I look at?

Hey guys,

I replaced my old non-working oil switch about a month and a half ago, I noticed a few rides later, than the oil light was flickering only on idle (the flicker follows the thumping of the engine, in scientific terms : thump thump thump = flicker flicker flicker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) So it comes on and off really quick...but only at idle... My idle is not too low... My oil has about 10 hours on it, maybe a tad more... It's still clear, my oil tank filter screen was clean and clear and under control during my last oil change.

I run a '00 DS with the short filter, and my last oil change, I did not perform the oil bleeding... Could this be it? My oil level is fine...

And by the way, it only starts to flicker on idle after the quad is properly warmed up.. (Maybe after 15-20 minutes of riding..) When I first start it cold, there is no problem..

My oil switch is a little over a month old.. I heard it could also be the temp sensor.. Although my fan does come on when I put around in slow trails...and comes off when I get some air into the rad...

HELP NEEDED ASAP!!

Thanks A Lot

Spinner

Old 09-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Best way to make sure your getting oil is take the filter cover off and remove filter.With Filter off and on/off switch in the off position bump your motor over.You should see oil squirt out from where the filter goes.I have done this on mine when worried i wasnt getting oil cause of a faulty oil sender.Also to see if its the oil sender or the temp sender just disconnect the oil sender wire and run engine (once warmed up and starts flashing like you said) and see if it stops blinking. Good Luck!!

Old 09-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

The oil lights on my and my friends 2000 DS's have flickered when hot since new (at idle). We run heavier weight oil 15-40 or 20-50 and change the oil fairly often. I put on radiator shrouds and it rarely happens anymore. I doubt it would cause a problem, the oil pressure pulses are momentarily dropping below the sensors range but there is still pressure and oil. Still, I would try to avoid idling anymore than neeeded. A better quality oil made for fourstroke motorcycles isn't bad idea either.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

Mine just started to do this tonight.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

My 03 ds first had the oil light stay on all the time. I replaced the sender and shortly after I got the flickering light problem. At this point I put on an oil pressure gauge. No more worries.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just had my new 04' have the same problem. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the oil sender unit. Once i got home i fired it up and took it around the back yard 1 trip not even 200 yards and the light came back on so i loaded it back up and took it back to the dealer were it is now getting another oil sender unit installed.The one that was just replaced was not only a couple hours old.If any one has a gauge installed on there quad for the oil and the temp please .I would love to have specffic info on what brand were did you get it and the install. for example,were did you hook up your gauge wire too and is it accurate oil pressure. Please once again anybody with info please respond .This oil sender light is starting to become a pain and the bad part is you really dont know wiether or not to ingore it when you are on the trail because it just might be the real deal any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Robby

Old 09-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Spinner, I think first that I would want to know for sure how much oil pressure is there, most shops have a guage that they can hook up for a few minutes to take some measurements. You could also buy a cheap automotive guage and check it that way. It may be the light malfunctioning and it may also be more serious and dropping oil pressure. I would check it for sure..

Old 09-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

bump