CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Starter O-ring Sadness

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter O-ring Sadness

I've had mine in and out twice and stil no leaks, yet anyway, knock on wood.
One suggestion that I have that I'm sure is part of some of the problems, but not necesarily all, is that the o-ring should be lubed prior to installing. otherwise it can easily be scarred or rolled and then not seal well. a lube actually made for o-rings for this purpose is best, Parker Q-lube or Aro Key-Lube, but in a pinch any grease is better than nothing. Motor oil just doesn't offer the needed scar protection while sliding it in.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Originally posted by: ThePunisher
Simple answer for all of you. Gary has them at TVI. Also you use a light coating of Toyota or some Ultra-blue silicone on it and "BAM" your o-ring problems are over![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know I had the same problem and not anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
This is going to sound bad but. . . . did you put it in wet?

Or, did you let it dry first? So, you are basically just putting it on the O-ring to make the o-ring larger? Or are you putting it at the base of the starter flange?

Apparently my bro had a similar problem on his Honda quad. What we ended up doing was putting on a wet semi-thin layer over the O-Ring and up on the end of the flange. We put it back on wet - and saw a good seal on the flange. I let it dry on the quad overnight and I'll start it up tonight to see if it leaks.

Marky

Old 10-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

keep us posted.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Just an FYI, Using silicone with o-rings can often cause the o-ring to leak later on. Ya see, Silicone will not stick to oily surfaces and once it dries it will slide out passed the o-ring and cause a leak so in this case its worse then an o-ring by itself. If you do use silicone clean the surfaces and the o-ring real good with brake parts cleaner first to remove any oil or grease then use it sparingly. The silicone will also act as a lubricant for the o-ring so it won't get damaged when you assemble it.