CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New clutch plates, or just springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch plates, or just springs?

i only have about 50 or so hours on my DS and dont slip the clutch a whole lot, so im assuming the plates should be in pretty good shape....

i do however want to go with (probably) 40% springs because ill be running 22 inch tires for half the year... (for sand ill have 22 paddles, and for snow ill have 22 realtors)

is there a big difference in pull between the 40 and 60 percent? Most seem to go with 60%.... but im wondering will i get fatigued after like an hour of riding with that big of a pull? im a big guy... over 6 foot and 225 lbs.... so hopefully its not too bad.... (any suggestions on that would be helpful) heh i guess one positive out of it is i would have a nice big left forearm... lol

secondly...should i get new plates? are there any out there that are worth the upgrade? (or it just somthing i should do once the stockers wear out?)

also where is the best place to buy plates springs?

Pami/tvi/RWR? (i know the brands, but where can i buy them? lol)

are there any tricks to make the install of springs/clutches easier?

and lastly does anyone have a write-up on installing plates or springs? (ive searched it and from what ive read it seems faily simple...just as long as i loosen the bolts little at a time as not to warp the pressure plate...)

sorry for all the questions... the help is greatly appreicated though!

Old 03-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

My DS has as about as many hours on it as yours does an I've already roached the clutch. Replaced the clutch plates with more stockers and the springs with Pami springs that I got from THEBOM. Much stronger pull. It gives you a good workout pulling the clutch now but hangs better.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

how much and where can i get stock plates? do they make aftermarket ones?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

does on dunes carry the side case gasket? (im assuming not....how much are they at a bomb dealiership? i have to go to one anyway to order stupid 10 dollar oil filters anyway...)

i take it the case gasket is just where the clutch cover is?

ill just wait on the clutch itself and go for the springs.... unless the clutch discs are for some reason cheap.. (doubt it)

now... 40% or 60% springs.... hmmm

Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

i put 60% wen my clutch started to slip, wen i had mine apart i just measured the plates and they were fine so i didn't replace them, and if i remember rite i think the gasket was cheaper at the dealer, or atleast it was here, and wen i talked to RWR they told me the basically stopped making the 40% n e more, said i was better off just jumpin to the 60%, and its not that bad, once u get used to it, i was used to mine and i hoped on my buddies ex i could pull it like nothin

Old 03-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I used Ron Woods 60%, didn't seem much worse pulling in but really helped on the hook up. Use your stock fibers and plates if they are still good, the gasket cost something like $8.00 at the dealer, springs run around $25 for RW, if your on a tight budget ALBA has a set for $15, not sure what the % is. You don't have to change oil if you do it right unless it needs it. Just tip the bike on it's side and pull off the side case. (easier to working on when it's on it's side) Don't bother with the Water pump it will stay with the side case after you remove the hoses, will have to drain the radiator. If you don't damage the case gasket, the old will work but for $8 just put on a new one. Pay attemtion when removing and put back how you found it, remenber the outside fiber is slightly differant and sits in the offset slot, look at before you remove it.
Good luck

Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

will the hoses that i have to disconnect (im assuming they attatch to the pump) just drain the radiator?

also what percent glycol/water does the ds use and how much? (i was thinking it was like 50/50?)

i think ill just prop the bike up on cynder blocks as i JUST changed the oil probably 4-5 riding hours ago...

Old 03-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey roost i changed my springs today. It is fairly simiple to change them, the only thing is getting ur clutch cover back on. Make sure all the holes are lined up just perfect with the gasket. Use a little grease to get the gasket to stick where u want it. The radiator will drain when u pull the hoses off. www.on-dunes.com has everything u need to do the changes. He does have the gaskets and clutch springs in stock. When u are ready to put the clutch cover back on u may have to tap it with a rubber mallet(not hard) to get the cover back on the gears. You will see what i am talking about when u get it off. Also make sure u keep ur allen wrench screws in order so u know where they go back. Make sure everything is clean when u go back putting it together. It takes about 30min's to change them. If u are not having problems with ur clutch plates than i wouldnt worry about changing them, just the springs. Hope this helps. If u have any questions feel free to e-mail me at lancekinney610@hotmail.com Hope this helps. Lance

Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 AM
sam
Pro Rider

you dont need to drain the radiator if you dont want to, leave them on and pull the cover off to the side. as hauling said its re-alinging the case back up can be a pain. 30min job well worth it.
Sam

Old 03-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you put in new fibers make sure and soak them for thirty minutes in oil so they aren't ruined in the first five minutes. The service manual has very good instructions and is a good idea to have anyway.

Justin