CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

730 vs 800

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 730 vs 800

I've been hearing alot about the Preacher lately, as I learn more about the DS transmission mods that the bigbore riders have learned to become necesary.
I'm curious, what transmission mods will be available for the new 800 stroker coming out?

Old 05-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

If you stroke you have to open it up. If you split the cases for a stroke, why not get the gears undercut? It isn't cheap but, it could save you from having to split the cases in the future so, isn't that worth the $$?

If you don't have the upgraded shift forks and you split the cases you should at least change out the 1st to 2nd fork. That is the worst of the bunch. The forks are about $49 each. Again, if the cases are split why not spend the $ to upgrade. You sure will feel like a fool if you were too cheap to do it then you have to tear into your engine to do it in the future.

I wouldn't say undercutting the tranny is needed (in fact I know AZSand and a number of poeple haven't done it) but, if I tear into my cases I get the gears undercut. Just seems crazy to spend all that money on a 760/800 kit and not get the undercut gears.

I guess what I am trying to get at is the tranny doesn't need to be modified (that is what is great about the DS - especially vs. the Raptor) but, if your in there why not. After all, you are putting a lot of money into an engine, why not put a little to the tranny to keep it a reliable build.

For anyone that hasn't seen or heard of undercutting. . . the engagement dogs are the parts that come out the inside of the gears. As the gears slide towards eachother (shift fork does this work) the engagement dogs lock one gear to the next. Undercutting the engagement dogs buts a negative angle on the engagement dogs so the more force that is exerted on the gears the more they get sucked towards eachother.

Usually when the shift fork goes, the engagement dogs start to wear out on the leading edge. If it gets bad enough you will need to replace at least one and probably two gears in your tranny. If you catch it early enough and take care of it you shouldn't have much wear.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

and while you're at it, chryo-treat the forks for added strength? How necesary or common is that?

Old 05-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

I didn't do the cryo. The new forks are stronger than the old ones so I don't know if it is needed.

I thought about cryo on the gears but, they magnafluxed them and said the austinite/magnasite or whatever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] already looked good and probably didn't need it (which is good because I really didn't want to do it anyways.)

Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default 730 vs 800

Bigbajas bike runs very strong.. I can attest to that. Glad the gearing worked out for you Scott, Madracing told me your bike was running great @ pismo, he has the blue 727. When is our next race?. LOL (Dumont this weekend)

BTW- Scott, thanks for giving me the heads up on the alky nitro, You plan on going for the juggler[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL, I guess Id better get in the garage to prepare. I guess ill have to fuel pump the tm 48mm snorkled alky nitro testing. I got plenty of nitro if ya need any. MAN, ya goona make me blow the motor!!

Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

well just wondering thought we would have heard, well good luck with the alky

Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
cop
Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

Scooby where in rochester? I live near Buffalo. We should get our groups together for some hard core riding.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Range Rover
Default 730 vs 800

hey cop I don't know if you remember me from the grass drags at Bucks Motorsports. I didnt have my ds with but I race you with my skidoo 700 lol. I'm only about 5 minutes from bucks motorsports and right about in between buffalo and rochester. we will have to get together and ride sometime

Old 05-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

I'm on the west side of the city, gates/chili area. I haven't yet looked into local riding areas. I'd need to find some open areas, not 4x4 woods trail riding.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

Well this topic seems like it has been well covered but here's 2 cents more, I'm no motor builder, after all the reading I would say my riding is like Duneme's, I spend most of my time out in the dunes playing (bowling, fast ride, hills and general playing) and like to do some racing and steep hills in the out back, I love my Pami 760 (I'm sure glad nobody told me it was only for racing LOL) it's a lot of fun and I like always having that power on tap, Nitrus??? eh maybe, Alky?? I'll probably setup for that after the winter project is done but that will be only for special ocasions. When I had my motor done I had the tranny cyro'ed, didn't back cut only time will tell with these tranny's

Been on these boards a few years, good to see a conversation like this not turn into a flame war [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]