CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

730 vs 800

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 730 vs 800

I am running their 14:1 piston with 40mm/34mm valves. The fuel was 110 (not sure of the brand). The best way to tell why I am replacing my head is just to say "There has been too many cooks in the kitchen" Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just want to start fresh.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

i don't think there are any full mr hp engines yet, sure they will be nice when ready. the bom has already given a nice review that i find very simlar to what i've seen. i run the tvi 720 and i guess it has the lower compression piston seems to work fine, the engine hasn't had any problems. other engines i've seen are
1- jeffs 830 very fast on the juice, not many in that league
2- azsands 760 on alky faster than most and held it own against all comers.
3- garys personal 770, again very fast haven't squeezed the nitrous on this machine.
4- sandbombers machines both very fast, you could generally flip a coin on which one will win.
5- parkers 760 on gas this i would say could be the fastest ds that i've seen(engine to engine) or had the chance to ride

bottom line there all fast, and to key board race is hard. the bom pm me once and let me know these machines on nitrous are very hard to compete with, after my last ride he was right, sandbomber and a few others can help me on this one.

each builder is good for us the ds was left out at first and now were getting some serious attention[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] about time.

i would also give my vote to pami at this time due to the fact that they have more time and research on the rotax engine, that being said i would never be able to get myself to spend the money on a pami, great product but just to much money over what gary and eric are producing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] there the good for us part

the heat issue has been something i've been watching in the treads, well i bought a infare red them. and some of you might want to get one because what you are putting out about heat isn't right. sandbombers 770 runs cold maybe to cold. the 720's run a little hotter but within a good range.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.
Default 730 vs 800

agree with DuneMe, it would be great to hear from people that have run Mr. HP engine parts, cams, stroker, big bore, what ever it maybe. I know I plan on doing a full write up when I install my 730kit.
O.K. Here is what I know of Mr. HP and HorsePower Research......

Customer Service Review

Last year when I was in the market for an engine build-up for drag purposes it came to my attention that Eric operated out of KY (lucky for me). When I contacted him and proposed what I would like to see done with my engine, he was very attentative and addressed every issue that I could muster with detail. (can not say the same for some others I contacted) If I needed to leave a message, it was returned promptly. I could go on for awhile about this specific topic.......After a some phone calls pertaining to what was in store for my 650....it was on !

The Build

HP Research parts throughout entire engine.

650cc -->maintained stock size due to certain class limitations in our area.

On Vp`s C-12 - No N2o

Full Race Head --> The portwork I received is probably the most serious part of the entire build. I can`t stress enough just how impressive the porting was. (yes, I have some basis for comparison)
Titanium Valves/Retainers 37int - 33exh --> Is anyone else using titanium? Why not? You don`t know what your missing!
Cams ----> Breathing long and hard.
14:1 Piston ---> Work of art and weighs nothing. Revs like a dream.
Ported Intake ---> Nice transitions.
Lectron HV 48 ---> We are all aware of what an improvement the Mr. HP/Lectron series of carbs makes.

After a short dyno session with Eric tuning, the engine posted 64Hp ! Out of a 650!
Notes: At @ 9600 RPM the engine was only down 4hp from peak.
Not once did the power dip below that of a stock engine even though it was set-up specifically for drags. Due largly in part to the portwork, but not without the proper combination of other internals.
The torque curve is a thing of beauty....it stays near peak for well over 3K Rpm`s.

Impressions

Once on the drag strip...GOOD GOD this engine is an animal. 7-8 tenths was cut off the 300" times. There wasn`t much competition at all that could run with this bike to include MANY nitrous powered big bore Raptors that fell by the wayside! hehehe..... I could`nt have been happier with the outcome, especially when you hear your last name over the loudspeaker so very often!

Keep in mind this was all LAST season...which brings me to.

Reliability

After a full season (7 months) and over 550 passes down the strip (yes that many) NOT ONCE did we experience the first hint of failure of any part....PERIOD!

Another thing to mention is that this bike was built for my wife....(It makes your hobby sooo much nicer when the Mrs. digs it too) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] She did a fantastic job all year, and shutdown nearly all of her male counterparts. But since it was her first real exposure to this type of activity (and performance) there was a learning curve. Tucked away in this curve was a tendancy to miss gear shifts. Well, when your shift RPM is in the 9K region, I don`t have to tell you what happens when your thumb is firmly planted on the throttle and the upshift doesn`t happen ! 10-11-12K RPM`s! I cringed the first few times, but maintained faith in Eric`s engine building capabilities.

After this winters teardown, Eric showed me the internals.....spotless and virtually wear-free! No doubt in either of our minds that this engine couldn`t have went another 550 passes under the same conditions! Music to my ears....

This time around

I just had an over-ride tranny installed and purchased his drag pipe. I received the engine back for this season a few days ago and bolted it into a highly modified frame. A dyno session is scheduled in the very near future and some trips down the track. I`ll let everyone know as to the outcome.

For those contemplating any HP Research parts or service......you can`t go wrong!

My .02.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default 730 vs 800

titanium valves and retainers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] custom atv in mesa arizona use's the titanium set up with great results[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

I'm lucky to have found hpresearch!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default 730 vs 800

Man, what a great thread. It just goes to show you that if you think you are ahead of the game, someone has already been there, done that. The price is high, but there seems to be no end to what you can do to your DS if you have a mind too ($$$$$$$). Good to see a lttle bit of the Ford/Chevy thing. Keeps the competition on its toes.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

Hey guys,

Just want to state... with all the BS I've been dealing with other "DS vendors" I have to vouch that HP Reasearch is the best one I can recommend. Duneme I see your point totally, and 222's claim is rather bold (Sorry Randall, just being honest) but he does provide service and not a cut-throat like everyone else.. MRHP has some interesting stuff up his sleeve and it's great to see more on the table for the DS. He has budget minded products (like the endcap) and lays ihis stuff all out with proven DYNO testing. I'm sure if he continues he will be place on the head of the pack. Next year I plan to ship my motor to him to possibly stroke and put larger valves on my DS along with proper piston with the right compression for my needs.

I can't recommend him highly enough. If you considering his kit, then sit back and let someone else be a guinea pig. If it proves well then it's your call to buy his products.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

Forcefed - Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have known if someone hadn't told the story.

Again, not trying to take anything away but, those HP numbers sound a little high. I would suggest a comparison between HP before mod and HP after mod rather than actual HP. That holds true to any dyno (but especially the one at Trinity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) The kit you have sounds similar to a Ron Wood Stage III. Their web site states 60HP too so, maybe the dyno numbers are correct?? Ron Wood

I pulled up the old post on the comparison of the TM45 vs. the Lectron, take a look at the HP on the stock DS [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

[quote]
[i]2004 Crate box stock: 46.3 STD hp (most we have seen on a stock bike), 40.2 ft-lb torque

Mr Horsepower 46hv as it came out of the box -no tuning, ported intake, Billet Endcap: 51.5 hp STD, 48.2 ft lb torque - this combo was a little rich on the air/fuel, but no tuning was done since this is how customer receives it.

Mr Horsepower 46hv as it came out of the box -no tuning, ported intake, HMF slip on: 51.4 hp STD, 47.9 ft-lb torque STD, air fuel looked better with slip on, but no adjustments made

Ron Wood tm45 as it came set out of box - no tuning, ronwood ported intake, HMF pipe Clamp on filter: 47.1 hp STD, 38.3 ft-lb torque STD. Note: roll on from 3000 rpm - stumbled below that.

RonWood tm45: would not take any throttle anywhere with the snorkel tube and filter

Mr Hp and THEBOM tuned on it about an hour, changing needle setting, main jets, and idle circuit:

Tuned tm45, THEBOM ported intake, HMF, snorkel tube: 50.8 hp STD, 47.4 ft-lb torque STD, air fuel was excellent after the tuning. Bog was eliminated by Mr HP and the bomb
When strong forces join together, watch out!! [quote]
[i]

1-(46/64) = approx. 28% difference in HP - Very Nice! Or, another way to say it is: (64-46) / 46 = 60% increase in HP (did I get that right - trying to remember my statistics!)

I'm not trying to be hard on Mr. HP (other than I think he should get someone to run his set-up out West to show how good it is before asking a bunch of people to take a leap of faith.) In my business we often provide new products at a good discount or on a performance basis to get a showcase installation for future business.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

If everyone is considering spending Big Money in "drag race" engines, then everyone should know that you gain very little when you add LArger valves, and/or larger bore, or Longer stroke. The point was made early on in this thread that a stock bore, stoke stroke, stock valve motor can produce the same HP as a big bore, but it will do it in a higher RPM range,thats TRUE. But when was the last time you used low/mid range in a drag race?? Never.

The end result is, that EVERYBODY that wants to WIN drag races is going to NOS or AlKY/NITRO, or a number of other "special" race fuel mixes, and it doesnt matter if it is 650cc, or 830cc's.

For example: DSmike has been running the exact same 650cc, stock valve motor for over 3 years, and he is STILL one of the very fastest DS's out thier. Hmmmmmm.

These big bore kits should be thought of as DUNER/trail motors, giving you the PoWER at a lower RPM, which make for a VERY fun ride! Like the PAMI motors!! but when it comes to getting from point A to point B the quickest, a 5000 dollar motor may or may not, beat a 1000 dollar motor.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default 730 vs 800

I am not looking for a drag motor nor a drag bike. I never understand the people that trailer their quad to the hill instead of riding the dunes to the hill. I am looking for an all around motor. Something that I can trailride (not tight technical trails), dune, and a recreational drag race. A 12k rpm engine does not appeal to me nor does a nos bottle that needs to be refilled every so often. Honestly a stock ds has DS has enough power to dune or trail ride, but more power usually equals more fun! It would be great to have enough power to beat my friends modified banshee who weighs a good 100 lbs lighter then me AND still be able to dune in 3rd gear all day long with out the need to downshift.

I like the way my current power curve shapped, I just want to raise the whole curve up in power. I hope with a good choice in valve size and cams that the 730/14:1 kit will give me a large increase in hp and Torque across the whole rpm range. 222 suggested that the stroker is a race only product, I find that conflicting.