CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TVI's 720 Piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVI's 720 Piston

i dont think Entomber was trashing tvi mabby you should read the first post over unless i missed something omong the 3 pages

Old 05-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default TVI's 720 Piston

I don't mind weighing in at all. I think Entomber has complained about Gary-TVI from the beginning of his engine build. I know a little about motors and have a pretty good set of tools and the money to do a kit and I still think I'd rather have a pro do my engine. From what I've seen of Entombers questions, the guy was way over his head technically and financially and I can bet Gary has regretted selling him the parts. Maybe Gary doesn't provide the same level of thech support of MRHP but he also has a business to run. Give MRHP a few years and a bunch of clueless customers and see how much time he is willing to spend on the phone.
Entomber, I don't mean to pick on you I am just calling as I see it and I think it's pretty clear. If you ordered an engine kit from JEGS or PAW how much tech support do you think you would get? As to the question of your piston, If Gary claimed you were getting 11to1 or whatever then you should get it but you need to prove that you dont have it and you don't know how to find out. Lastly, I'm sure you wont even know how your bike is running unless you get proper tires and gearing and put the power to the ground.
Punisher, let's hear what you have to say.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Okay here we go. I didn't want any finger pointing or name shooting or anything. I've always felt these forums were a great place to express opinions and whatnot. I always see someone expressing joy with some mod they went with or disappointing failure with something on thier DS.

What Sandman has said about me is absolutely true. I did break a cam, I had a few questions about some welds that I found odd, and other things that went wrong with me on my DS. I'm the first to admit I'm not a the greatest wrencher and I'm still kind of green on some of this stuff. I don't think that anyone who is willing to learn and gives an earnest attempt to do something is doing anything wrong or should be looked upon as an idiot. Yes I broke my cam, and it cost me a good penny to replace but I learned from it. I make sure to double check everything from now on end. I'm sure all these engine builders have had thier day of errors as well.

I still haven't gotten that compression tester. I think I might go out and buy one. I really hate depending on someone to use an item. I'm going to look into the cost of one and just have one for future use. Can someone recommend one. Pereferably something inexpensive but if not I'll get it either way.

I asked my Stage III buddy today when he rode my DS how did it feel. He agreed with me that it defintely feels like it has more top. He also mentioned he thought it would be more "abrupt". I'm not saying the high compression piston is my answer but like I said when I went to the 11:5.1 (from ron wood over stock) I felt a meatier difference.

I'm not knocking Gary's business in any way. I just wanting to collaborate with others who might have felt this way. Ironically I have had a few PMs with others agreeing what what I had to say. I'm not asking for any money back, I'm not asking for Gary to give me a new piston to make it right. I know Gary reads these forums and again I'm not trying to kick him down or slander him and the only REASON I posted a TVI 720 Piston was classify the brand Piston I'm using? I know a bunch of you think of me as a complainer and some idiot that doesn't know how to use a tool. That's fine, anyone and everyone is entitled to thier opinion here. Again I don't think there is any wrong or right opinions here.

Biggerisbetter is right, I did follow everyones praise on the TVI 720. Everyone was burnt up about the Sam Coe kits, and TVI's seemed the most reliable and nothing but good things was said about it. Naturally I saved and I got a kit. Gary did push the issue of getting larger valves, but at the time I didn't feel they were nessary. You guys over on the west coast forget we don't have a whole lot of dunes (We only hav ONE quasi Dune here with no hills) and certainly no hillshooting like you guys are lucky to have. Top end isn't a big thing here.

I'm not trying to start a war or slander anyone. I know some of you actually have rode with Gary and know him personally. Its naturally to defend him and look at me as an enemy or some whinney bastard. Believe me guys, Nothing I want to say more "best XXX amount of dollars I've spent on my DS".

Tomorrow I'm going remove my head. I don't think the cams are off but I will check every possible option. I will check valve clearance and see if there is anything else I might have missed. Just to let you guys know..... when the cam did break I had a friend who put the cams on (Ironically my Stage III buddy). He ranted about me calling Gary demanding I should get a new cam at his expense. I merely let it go through one ear and out the other. The last build I did it toally on my own, and my friend (who placed the cam gears in) is an ASE Certifed technician.

Punisher I too want to hear it....

Gary if your reading this.. PM.. I have some things I want to discuss.. I don't want to bring this up anymore in here.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Range Rover
Default TVI's 720 Piston

man some of you guys are pretty rough on entomber. I broke a cam (intake) when assembling my motor and when i called gary at tvi he said he had done the same before. I dont know what to say I love my tvi motor right now, but I think I have some other things in store for it.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Punisher
It seems like a few of us would liike to hear what you have to say. Since I bought your TVI 720, it has done just fine for me. Now that you don't have a DS maybe you want to tell us 'the rest of the story'.

Entomber
Don't need to make excuses to speak your mind. No one started out knowing everything and even those that think they do, don't. I couldn't see anything malicious in your posts, but like most of us you can get to feeling out in left field when things don't work the way they were suposed too, or were promised. Hang in there, tell it like it is and any responsible person or business should do you right.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default TVI's 720 Piston

You know what? Cardiac your right......

After reading mystereid post it has driven me to speak out and not hold back. I've been complaining about my kit from Gary from the beinging because

1- The box he shipped it in he DID NOT wrap the piston up. It came from UPS nicks all over it. No wrapper around the piston no bubble wrap. Before I put the kit together I had to file the piston down so it doesn't leave gashes on the cylinder walls. Considering I've ordered pistons before it was pretty much sub-standard way of shipping it.

2- I had UPS drop off and pick up my kit via my company's account. Somehow (tho I will admit TVI has attempted to call me which I never did get around to getting back to them) Gary decided to charge me for shipping which caused a negative balance in my account. They did credit me the money but guess what? I still had to pay the unavailable funds because TVI took the money out of my account for shipping I PAID FOR.

C'mon guys.. wouldn't you be pissed off too? I think I took the last one pretty well don't you think?

Now I did mention to Gary I wanted to run pump gas. I told him I would want to run anything that can allow me to run 94 octane which is available only at Sunoco, everything else is 92. I called Gary and I merely said I wanted more snap. He went on saying my 44 mm lectron is the cause of it and not having larger valves is another. I mention to him I didn't like the 45mm and there were issues I didn't like "I'm not buying that" was his response.

I work for a sign company and mystereid your probably right, Gary might be regretting selling me this kit. I've had a few clients that I wish I didn't deal with but in the end it's business and sometimes they do come back. I didn't want to slam him here but damnit I'm a customer. I work for a sign shop and man I bend over backwards for customers sometimes. I know you can't please everyone, and I'm not getting on the bandwagon with HPReasearch cause is new and they are the new fad that is here. I have personally spoken with Eric and Honest to damn truth I just simply have a better relationship with him than I do Gary. Last time I spoke to Gary, his salesman antics just gets under my skin. Maybe it's the generation gap (Eric is closer to my age).

I know Gary isn't a bad guy. He has called me back on some issues I have had in the past and he DID work with me on the 720 kit. I know he has a business to run, and he has always taken time out to talk to me. I sent the cylinder with a deposit and asked him if he can't wait till I muster the rest of the funds to just do the big bore and he did work with me. He did take the time out to explain some questions I had about his rev box (which I would like to purchase but after this post he may never want to deal with me again).

Now again before everyone starts firing off at me I have always stated I'm no motor wiz, and yes some problems I have had were stupid and perhaps some of the posts I have made might have made me sound questionable to putting a kit together. I think this place is a great place a DS owner for the wealth of information that others have posted here. I want to thank everyone who has helped me out. I'm sorry to blast off like this I'm just trying to state what happened and for others to see my point instead of looking at it as me attacking an "engine builder". I just posted this wanting to know what are my options.

Punisher I exposed my story please do tell yours.......

Sorry Gary... but I just stated facts. Feel free to add...

Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Hey i've been reading alot of these posts, doing some research for my a buddy who is looking to get a big bore kit for his DS650, well i feel like i have to comment, first off i'm going to suggest to my friend to stay away from these big bore kits by TVI....i only see people having problems with them. I have bought big bore kits from different engine builder over the years and never did i have the problems i hear people having. First off you shouldn't have to be a mechanic or a machinist to put these things in, if i was a mechanic or a machinist, i wouldn't need an engine builder. A 720kit should rip your arms out, and it sounds like Entomber kit is making mediocre power at best, and for the price of that kit, i would be PISSED!! NEXT thing, if you ask for 13:1 piston you should get that piston, not a 10:1 piston that is pure BS!!! Man I wish Curtis Sparks made a kit for the DS650, because I send my friend there! I know one thing is for sure TVI is definately out of the question, and you guys are dicks for getting on Entomber's case for having problems with it. I'm used to my Honda forums where people help you out when you have problems!!!

1- The box he shipped it in he DID NOT wrap the piston up. It came from UPS nicks all over it. No wrapper around the piston no bubble wrap. Before I put the kit together I had to file the piston down so it doesn't leave gashes on the cylinder walls. Considering I've ordered pistons before it was pretty much sub-standard way of shipping it.
That is just unacceptable!!!

Old 05-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Joe Joe Joe you've done all the reasearch and you know jack !!!!! And the honda fourm imformative and understanding yea right get your fake AZZ back over there you moron.Go back where you came from and tell your buddy to do his own reasearch because your lost !!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Originally posted by: ThePunisher
All i know is that I got 205 lbs. of compression at 900 ft elevation and 212 with a wet test.
that comes out to around 10:1 or 10.5:1 with 3% cylinder leakdown and web 109 cams. with that kind of compression it doesn't surprise me the HP gain is mild.

there are streetbikes that come stock with 12:1 compression and run on pump gas, so I can't imagine why he'd be given a 10:1 piston.

the stock DS head is around 63cc (not exact but in the ballpark). And I know that a just few cc makes a difference in the compression.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default TVI's 720 Piston

Entomber, Dont waste your money on a compression tester it only measures cranking compression. 222 has a 350x engine that is 15:1 compression and only has 50psi of cranking compression because of the tight lobe centers on the camshaft. In other words many variables come into play when using that type of tester.
It is really meant to be used as a baseline when an engine is fresh and then for example one year later to see if the engine is loosing valve seal or ring seal etc. It originated for the multiple cylinder engine (V8) to check each cylinder against the other since they are all the same.

I'm quite suprised that none of the "experts" in all their wisdom have mentioned this to you.

Static compression ratio is a mathmatical measurement and has nothing to do with cranking compression.

MrHorsepower

Quick Reply: TVI's 720 Piston