CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where would you move out west?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where would you move out west?

I was stuck on OR, but Sandy looks nice...

Old 06-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZlightning

bs no bugs tons of people have termites crawlin in there house's. cali even has laws that you need to have your house checked for bugs before you sell it and if you find them you have to tell the buyer
LOL, bugs and termites aren't just in California. LOL. You don't have to tell the buyer, but you do have to get the house free of termites before you sell it. Wouldn't you want to know the house you were buying was free of problems? I would.

People that don't live in California are mis informed and believe what they see on TV. Southern California has everything anyone could ever want. Surf, Snow, Sand, beautiful woman and lots of open and free riding areas. California has some problems, every place has their share of problems, but that's ok, believe what you want cause there are to many people so the fewer that move here the better. But, enough of that.

As far as cities go. In Utah anywhere between Provo and just north of Salt lake will suffice for job opportunities, I'd choose the outskirts of any of those cities as it's just as crowded in that stretch as anywhere in California, The 15 fwy runs right through the middle of all that and is basicaly the only major freeway for travel from Provo to Salt Lake and can be congested as all heck at times. In Idaho pretty much anywhere, my choices would be in the Rexburgh/St Anthonys area. A bit greener and relatively populated but it's stretched out with plenty of farm type lands and the scenic Grand Teton mountain range on the horizon and of course St Anthonys sand dunes is a hop skip and a jump away. Idaho Falls is just a 30 minute drive for a larger city type of atmosphere.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I picked Arizona, the Phoenix area.

I'm from Maryland and miss the ocean and seafood. But living in Az is much better than back east.

In Az, you have a OHV friendly state, my quad is street legal. There is no snow to shovel, unless you pick Prescott or Flagstaff area. It is hot in the desert, but it is a "dry heat" and everyone has air conditioning. There are a lot of lakes, so you can enjoy water sports from April to October. It is possible to snow ski in the mountains in the morning and water ski (without a wetsuit and not get cold) at the desert lakes. We are 5-6 hours drive time from Ca. beaches or Mexico beaches. We are 4 hrs from the BEST sand riding area in the country, Glamis Dunes. There are plenty of ATV / 4 X 4 trails right outside of town, 20 - 40 miles away. We believe gun control means you can hit what your aiming at. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] We only have about 20 days of rain, and it usually rains 30 minutes at a time, great for motorcycle riding. There is no humidity and no mosquitos. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I even found a place that gets Maryland Blue Crab, cheaper than my brother gets in Baltimore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If you have any questions about Arizona, PM me with your phone number and I'll call you this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

DO NOT move to Arizona. If the heat won't kill you, then the Gila Monsters, Rattlesnakes or Scorpions will. Most of the houses are filled with corpses of the people that couldn't handle it. There is NO water, and people stopped bathing in 1992. The state is full of illegal aliens, and some of them are the Greys with the big eyes.

Nope, you don't want to move to Arizona. Them thar people are mean. They'll shoot you just to take their mind off of the heat.

Now California, that's where it's at!

Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Seems as if you need to go "one state in" from the coast to get away from the lefties and their inherent problems. So your ID-MT-UT-NV-WY-AZ strip really has what you're looking for. I think any of these states would suffice in the riding and outdoor activities area. Now your next two issues are economy and weather. Most of these states have at least an area to make a decent living in, you could look at Boise, a real nice city with great dune proximity (St Anthony, the Mack Daddy of 'em all). Montana is beautiful, has mountains to grassland plains, lakes and wheatland, but it's tougher to make a living here, and a short season for lake activity but really a good long riding season. It can snow from October to June but only ground cover snow for a fraction of that. I love Utah and its open desert country, and there's a lot more money there too but it's a little hotter in the summer.

So I've just added confusion. What a guy really needs to do is budget a good long vacation, fly into AZ and rent a vehicle and make a zig zag all the way up to MT. Stop at my place for a ride and a homebrew over elk steaks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Originally posted by: LTZlightning

bs no bugs tons of people have termites crawlin in there house's. cali even has laws that you need to have your house checked for bugs before you sell it and if you find them you have to tell the buyer
LOL, bugs and termites aren't just in California. LOL. You don't have to tell the buyer, but you do have to get the house free of termites before you sell it. Wouldn't you want to know the house you were buying was free of problems? I would.

People that don't live in California are mis informed and believe what they see on TV. Southern California has everything anyone could ever want. Surf, Snow, Sand, beautiful woman and lots of open and free riding areas. California has some problems, every place has their share of problems, but that's ok, believe what you want cause there are to many people so the fewer that move here the better. But, enough of that.

As far as cities go. In Utah anywhere between Provo and just north of Salt lake will suffice for job opportunities, I'd choose the outskirts of any of those cities as it's just as crowded in that stretch as anywhere in California, The 15 fwy runs right through the middle of all that and is basicaly the only major freeway for travel from Provo to Salt Lake and can be congested as all heck at times. In Idaho pretty much anywhere, my choices would be in the Rexburgh/St Anthonys area. A bit greener and relatively populated but it's stretched out with plenty of farm type lands and the scenic Grand Teton mountain range on the horizon and of course St Anthonys sand dunes is a hop skip and a jump away. Idaho Falls is just a 30 minute drive for a larger city type of atmosphere.
thats true that provo to slc can be congested ON HOLIDAY'S but talking traffic? utah has nothing on california about traffic

Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

california's freeways are like 10 lanes each of moving parking lots... cali is the undisputed king of traffic... the longest I have ever waited in utah for traffic was about 20 mins... when there was a traffic accident..

Old 07-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

You don't have to go an entire state away from the coast to get away from liberals. Eastern WA and OR are for the most part conservative, but there aren't enough people here to keep Dems out of statewide-elected office.

My family farmed for over 100 years south of Portland, OR, but the people got to be too much. We moved to central Washington in '87. I like central Washington because my family is here, you're within three hours of forests, rainforests, skiing, snomobiling, and clean rivers and lakes, towns are growing (ie- jobs), it's sunny 300+ days per year, and it's a dry heat. Good sand dunes are far away (about 8 hours to Oregon or St.A) but I have two rideable dune areas within 30 miles of home.

If I did move, I would go to southern Idaho. It's a lot like central WA. I would love to own one of those farms that border St. Anthony.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

My wife works with a nurse who is moving to Montana next week. Apparently she was going to move to Idaho but said there is some kind of problem with nuclear waste in the water or something like that (you know how women talk). Anyone know anything about this story? Thanks for all the input guys. Anyone have links to sites for jobs in those states in case I can't find a business to get? Ya, I'll miss the MD blue crabs (going for over $50 a bushel now), the ocean (unless you consider that the last two times I was there I found a dead dolphin on the beach on one trip and a dead tortoise the next) but not much else. Hell, the last time I was shooting my ak-47 I had some far left neighbors call the park rangers on me, said I was poaching deer out of season, had to show the ranger the tree I shot and show him my MD Bar license (ya, but I'm not a slimy attorney- gave it up because all of ones I met were though) and he left me alone. They even want locks on BB guns over here.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, sure make fun of the LA traffic all you want, because it really, really does suck! I drive the 101, 405, 5 and 134 daily - any freeway that you hear about having BAD traffic - I've drove it during peak traffic time! Imagine this: there is a spot where the 405 and 101 meet, so if you are on the 405 headed south, it is sometimes clear all the way to the 101 (and sometimes it's backed up 10 miles) then once you get near the 101 things ALWAYS get nasty in the morning. To get to the 101 will be about 15 minutes to move maybe two miles or less. If you want to pass the 101 and go south 'over the hill' past the Getty Center - you are looking at one to two hours of traffic when you are only traveling maybe 5 - 10 miles tops. I've been there and done it - in a stick shift none the less!!! To my knowledge, that is -THE- worst traffic area in the nation? World? who knows but it sucks. Oh whats better - NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING TO FIX IT! That is how well democrats get things done. (LA has had Democratic leadership for the past few Mayors now, and look how great it is here!)

Oh, I used to live just south of LA in a County called Orange. It's like LA, but it's not screwed up and there are a lot less liberals there, in fact it is known for being one of the most conservative parts of California. The only thing I am enjoying about my time (very much like being in jail) up here in LA are all of the Conservatives I'm meeting through work. It's amazing how many there are, just spread out up here.

Quick Reply: Where would you move out west?