CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

AHHH! that new ATV smell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Hez
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHH! that new ATV smell!

There's nothing like it.... just picked up my 05 DS650X. Man the thing is a beast. But i have a few questions for you guys. First of all, does the gas tank have an overflow tube located somewhere near the top of the tank. I filled it up to almost the top of the tank and it started pouring gas all over my pretty new bike!! WTHeck! Second. i noticed that the brakes seem rather squishy compared to my 400EX is there any adjustments for them? I havn't bought the clymers manual yet. and third... i live at 5000' and noticed the DS to be rather sluggish. Is it possible that the dealer left the jetting the same from the factory which is probably set at sea level? How does the DS come from the factory? rich or lean? thanks in advance
Ryan

Old 07-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hez,
yes the breather vent is located at the neck of the gas tank, the brakes are steel braided right? The feel is probably just a little different but you'll get used to them, and yes the DS is very detuned from the factory and jetted for sea level. I just picked up another stock ds and I for got how wimpy they feel with out mods, but thats ok cuz its for my son and I'll let him get use to the power it has now befor we do anything.
Congrats on the selection of bike you have the best quad (imho) out there now!

Old 07-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hez,

When you get a chance snap some photos of your new machine, I want to see some action shots etc of an 05. They are kinda like the 04s but Orange trim not yellow, right?

Major,

A second DS eh? It isn't suprising the stocker would feel weak compared to your DS with the re-routed crankcase vent and red gas cap breather installed!

Old 07-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new ride! mine was rich from the factory to, pull a plug if it's not clean go down on the main 1 size.

Old 07-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

blackhawk,
I attribute most of the power to the chrome valve stems- about 10hp each!

Old 07-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

hey majorecho, just wondering what the re-routed crankcase vent and the gas cap breather actually do and where would one buy ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Where can i get me some crome valve stems? I cant afford real mods[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Hez
Range Rover

Thanks guys!

Majorecho:
yes they are steel braided brake lines, quite different from my honda, so your saying that that is how it should feel? i can almost squeeze the handle all the way to the bars.

Blackhawk:

It is the new graphics with the orange accent. I am waiting for my new helmet to arrive (sold the old one with the other quad) before i do some cool action shots. But i will get some ASAP!

Thanks for the help and support guys!!

Hez

Old 07-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

No, that's not right. you may have some air in the front brake hydraulics.

If your dealer is close take it back, if not bleed very slowly. It may feel better tomorrow if they put it together today.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Hez
Range Rover

the rear brake is like that also... a lot of movement before i get positive braking. So the dealer should re-bleed the brakes then? or is it a fairly simple process?
Thanks

Quick Reply: AHHH! that new ATV smell!