CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Complete Heavy Duty Clutch System

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Heavy Duty Clutch System

Originally posted by: 1BigDSRider
Have any of the major Ds builders looked into this. Mr. Hp., Tvi, Pami or Woods?? Could be a money maker.
1BigDSRider,

Do you actually think Mr HP, TVI, Pami, or Woods have experience with building fibers? They can probably put a kit together based on somebody elses clutch plates, but I doubt they would have the resources to make thier own fibers. Mr HP & Pami have some good billet people at thier disposal and could develop part of the kit. Ron Wood wouldn't have any need to develop a clutch like that. Pami probably has the most chance of having that available, but doubt they have a need in the two wheel F-650 market - which is thier bread and butter. The best chance would be somebody like Hinson - they have lots of experience with clutch kits for ATVs. But I doubt they would simply because there just aren't that many that need it yet.

Could be a money maker? Not likely - not for a while at least. Actually, there are many suppliers that are cutting loose the DS for aftermarket parts. The largest wholesale parts houses dont even carry basic billet parts for the DS. To be honest, from the numbers I look at every day, there is more of a market for Polaris Predator aftermarket parts than the DS - thats simply reality.

But, if someone want to pour a bunch of R&D into it, more power to them.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know that we are a small fish in the big game. But there are enough ds riders out there that are looking for better options. Every year a few more Ds are bought that means more customers. Just my opionion.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Lets hope that there will be enough people in the future. If there were 10 times the number of responses on this post, then I would say we are there already.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

there are alot more ds's out there now then there used to be. when I first bought my ds, I hardly ever saw them out on the sand. now I see them everytime I go riding. it really suprises me that you say they are cutting loose the ds stuff. I would geuss that there would be a increase in demand. and manufactures would start building more stuff for the ds. dont you think eventually over time. that the R&D for a heavy duty clutch would pay off? I know I would look into one if I knew where to look.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: busmechanic
there are alot more ds's out there now then there used to be. when I first bought my ds, I hardly ever saw them out on the sand. now I see them everytime I go riding. it really suprises me that you say they are cutting loose the ds stuff. I would geuss that there would be a increase in demand. and manufactures would start building more stuff for the ds. dont you think eventually over time. that the R&D for a heavy duty clutch would pay off? I know I would look into one if I knew where to look.

Busmechanic,

I agree with you that there are more DS's out there. But the major aftermarket parts guys, Western Power, and others, did not opt to place any DS billet parts in thier catalog from a certain company that I know - the reason; no demand. What you see at Alba's website, is, quite frankly just lucky - Mario is not adding very many more DS parts to thier on-line store - they are staying with what they have for now. I can't explain what I see - other than there is less demand, probably because there is less disposable income than in the past for these types of purchases. If you look at all those DS's out there, a very few percentage of them have any aftermarket parts on them. Yet, you find that isn't the case for the 400EX, Banshee, and YFZ. Look at all the exhaust systems now out for the DS -- yet, you hardly see any aftermarket exhausts on any on the DS650's out there.

The YFZ is simply the hottest new market out there. Most dealerships that I know are selling 20 times the parts for the YFZ than the DS. There are people on this forum, who I dont care to advertise, that have spent a lot of money on R&D, yet the sales simply dont compare. That does not mean those supporters will go away, it just means what parts are there will remain high priced until demand is greater - higher production means lower price and generally higher quality. Quite simply, all those stock DS's out there have to show interest in bigger performance, if not, the risk will be too great for the amount of return on something as sophisticated as a clutch kit.

A few years ago I knew someone that made the very first billet aluminum chain guard out there. On another forum, there was over 30 people that said they wanted one. After 2 months of R&D and design, and producing over 50 of them, there was only about 3% that did buy it. Thats simply reality - Everyone liked them, very few did anything about it. Look, its nothing against the market, its just the way things are. Guys that produce this stuff are justifiably cautious.

On the bright side, lets hope that there will be more disposible income, and there ends up being a larger market for this stuff. Perhaps it will be money in the bank - lets just hope its not like money in the stock market.

I'm gonna stop because the more I talk the more un-biased I might appear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
[i]
Quite simply, all those stock DS's out there have to show interest in bigger performance, if not, the risk will be too great for the amount of return on something as sophisticated as a clutch kit.
well some people like myself just don't have the money to upgrade all the time, theres all kinds of things i love to buy, like all of those billet goodies, but its either look fast or go fast in my situation,
i chose to spend more at the beginning for the nice quad, instead of buying a cheaper quad(like 400ex) and widening it and motor mods to compete

Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I would probably be interested in one,depending on a few things...a lock up is a little extreme, but it is a cool setup.
Justin

Old 10-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JDsBusa
I would probably be interested in one, depending on a few things....
Justin
JDsBusa,

You're right, its a cool idea, but a lot of people feel the same way - Even the few buyers that are there are cautious. I think what you said explains exactly the DS market as a general rule regarding new aftermarket parts. Thats not a bad thing, just the way it is.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have allways thought that the auto clutch by rekluse would be kinda cool.