CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

burnt clutch and then some

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt clutch and then some

Were gonna install a barnett clutch in the baja monday. Is this a decent clutch or not really?
I'm still on my original so I have no personal experience with the Barnett but there have been a few guys on here that have had the kevlar material come off the plates and debris up the oil which caused problems with their oil pressure. Thats not to say that Barnett didn't correct the problem and are now making a better product but I would check into it a litttle further first. If you do the search on "clutch" you will have all the feedback you could want about the subject. My consensus and that of those I have talked to is that the stock parts are the best on the market when combined with the 60% springs.

The Bomb oil is good stuff but there are less expensive alternatives out there. In fact go back one or two pages and there is a post asking what oil everybody runs. Good info on this site if you "search"

Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

I am aware that the outside/last friction plate goes in the offset grove at the top of the stack but,,,, is it any different than the rest of the plates?? thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

The only difference I can remember is that the odd disk that goes into the offset grooves has narrower tabs on it to fit into those groves. The others won't fit. When you order your new fibers you'll have to order the odd disk also. It has a diff part number as well.

Normal Friction plates #711 259 210
Offset Friction plate #711 259 210

If your dealer can't find those part numbers change the 711 to 420. Some of the parts for the motor area have gone to a 420 prefix.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

for some reason, I thought that the offset plate was a different type of material. I cant remember why I think that. maybe it said something in the barnett kit that led me to believe that. anybody else know for sure?

Old 12-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

ahhh uttoooh, now I'm getting nervous. I dont remember any different ones specifically when I put the whole thing back togather other than putting the last friction plate in the offset groves at hte top of the stack. infact no idea which one was which after I took them all out and slightly scuffed the steels and frictions with some emery cloth. I then wiped them all clean and oiled the steels and plates again with the same oil I use in the motor. slapped it all togather with the new woods 60% springs and tossed the barnets in the spare parts box. Seems to grab and release good with a somewhat stiffer pull on the clutch lever. but nomore slippy. should I be concerned??