CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one

. Where the heck are the woods that are soooo tough one needs a tank to hunt 'em? I'd like to ride there. Sounds like fun!
Good Day....

Well, you could ride in my back yard, starts at 8700 feet and goes up through the trees to about 9500 feet where it backs up against the Pikes Peak National Forest. There are lots of places where the incline becomes almost vertical and a tank with a very long counter weight in the front would come in very handy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have a winch front and back so that some of the steeper sections can be overcome going up and down. The trees come in handy, it's just those darn boulders that can be a royal bummer.

When the dealer delivered my 800, he parked his very large Dodge Diesel on my upper driveway. When we were going over the paper work on my upper deck, we heard a very loud clatter... his truck, with a rock and a metal wheel block behind his tires was sliding down the driveway. In granny 4 and all brakes on, and in gear.. the rubber on the tires of the Dodge was letting go, and his truck was sliding down without any wheels moving... just on the rubber. That 's steep.

Sparky Sunshines Dad.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Is that an Invite? ;-) Sounds like my kind of fun!

Old 12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

If you ever get out to Colorado, yup, there are miles of trails up here, and... if you feel especially "brave" you would be welcome to take the ride to the top [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

We do a lot of traveling w/ quads in our, uh, profession. Unfortunately, for me, I usually end up w/ hauling duties. A couple of the others fly in then ride what we've hauled. I won't go into who has the more "advanced" riding skills other than they fly. Colorado has been at the top of my "suggestion" list for a while. I don't ride stupid (read too far over my head) but I do like to push the envelope. IMHO, we don't do enough testing in the slow, extremely technical stuff. Sounds like you have that in spades. I've had the 800 in this type of situation on numerous occasions and didn't find the power overwhelming. It was very easy to modualte, yet had the "nuts" when I needed. I probably didn't need that ~many~ nuts, but it was nice to know plenty was on tap.
We got into the B.U.D.S. program at the shop yesterday while servicing the Outtie. The information stored in the ECU is fascinating. It maps things you'd never think of- Max/av RPMs, throttle history (which, BTW, we've had at WFO 86% of the time), any errors, etc. On the other hand, Big Brother can now tell you your complete ride history and the amount you've been abusing the quad.......Will that have an impact on warranty work? Just a point to ponder.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It maps things you'd never think of- Max/av RPMs, throttle history (which, BTW, we've had at WFO 86% of the time), any errors, etc. On the other hand, Big Brother can now tell you your complete ride history and the amount you've been abusing the quad.......Will that have an impact on warranty work? Just a point to ponder.
Ha ha ha ha. I have a story for you. A very good friend of mine is a Cat diesel mechanic. He went to a work site years ago when OBD systems first came out. A carry-all had a blown engine in it. He talked to the owner and asked for the story. The owner told him the operator said he was just driving it and it made a big noise and it quit. "He was doing nothing wrong."
My buddy turned the thing over and no compression. All the valves were bent.
He then plugged in the puter (new thing in those days) and pulled the info. Everything looked good until some ridiculous RPM figure came up. He then went to the operator and asked him what happened. Same story. So he went to the owner and showed him the info.
Long story short. WARANTY DENIED.
The guy was coasting down a hill and then jamming it in gear.
I never did hear if the operator got canned?
Moral: You can't lie anymore!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw all of that crap come up on the screen. Uh-oh.......

Old 12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Ha ha ha ha ha, "4xzuk, and what where you doing when the engine blew up?"

"Well sir, I was going about 5MPH on a trail and the thing just quit." "Must have been a bad engine."
"Hmmmmmm that's funny. OBD2 says you were 100% throttle for over an hour, can you explain this?"
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, aaaaaaaaaaaaaa I think I would like to remain silent....................................."

Old 12-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

"Well Sir, I was just JRA and was a victim of a wardrobe malfunction. X-Brand gloves were subjected to a little moisture. When they started to dry, the ~shrinkage~ caused my throttle thumb to inadvetently push the throttle-WFO!" That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.....

Old 12-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 4xZuk
We got into the B.U.D.S. program at the shop yesterday while servicing the Outtie. The information stored in the ECU is fascinating. It maps things you'd never think of- Max/av RPMs, throttle history (which, BTW, we've had at WFO 86% of the time), any errors, etc. On the other hand, Big Brother can now tell you your complete ride history and the amount you've been abusing the quad.......Will that have an impact on warranty work? Just a point to ponder.
Hmmmm. Interesting. Any way to wipe this info before taking it to a dealer?

A friend of mine has a car that he drives....um...shall we say...aggressively and a few weeks before he takes it in for service he hooks it up to his laptop and wipes some sort of information. I'm not sure what exactly he is doing but he say it is to eliminate any evidence of his spirited driving habits.

In the case of the Bomber it sure would be handy to be able to access and edit or erase any information that could be used against you.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I don't know about new Bombs but I know in Cats you have to call the factory to get the code number for the machine you are working on. You had better have a damn good reason to want that number. They just don't give it out to anybody. With that number you can do lots of things. Turn up the fuel, turn up the boost, and many more things.
By the way, if a machine came into my shop with "no data" I would deny waranty on any motor work. Does it work that way with Bomb? I have no idea?

BTW: I suspect any machine with a TPS/EFI is going to have some sort of a logger system installed. Big brother is here, and he does not like the way you ride your Bomb!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one