CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one

I'll bet I know one thing they'll change for 07 on the Outlander. I bet they tone down the engine, that's right tone down. This thing goes from zero to insane in an instant, and I lovvvve that about it. And the front end is NOT light, the tires just hook up that well and it just has that much low end power causing the front end to come up at will. I rode this thing up some river bluffs that I previously had only climbed with my Prairie 650 and Polaris Scrambler 4x4 because nothing else in our area including the sport models (because there is no run up room on the bottom) would climb. The Outy keeps the front end down as well as anything I've ridden, when rode properly and I'm not talking about laying and praying on the handlebars. In addition I do not have the xt model with the extra weight of the winch on the nose, I'm riding the standard and lightest model available. I also did some test log crossings with this thing and it will hop right over a 10+ inch log laying on the trail as well as any quad I've rode and do it extremely predictabley. You guys who ride agressivly know what I'm talking about, bumping the log with the front tires then stabing the throttle and literally launching off the log like a ramp, no 4wd required. This thing is a flat out hoot to ride. The only thing I'm looking at changing is stiffening up the rear shocks a bit to help it power slide a little better.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
My rule. Never buy first year production of anything.
Many Hunters/guides/ whoeverelse follow the same rule.
who wants to be R&D outta their own pocket book. gotta have more money than me.

I would suspect 2nd year of production they will have significantly better sales as they should have more of the kinks worked out.
I agree, there is almost always some changes on 1st year models of any brand.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

You know what come to think of it, everytime I ride mine up in the mtns, I usually don't see any ds' I guess that means they arent any good for it. Thats funny, the couple of times I have taken it drag racing around the local asphalt track to run with the other quads I havent seen any there either, must not be any good at drag racing either. I guess I need to sell it and buy my friends ltz400, because I see them getting worked hard in the mtns, and the track.
Justin

Old 11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought mine to use in the woods in southern Ohio. It has the power and suspension to handle what the woods throw at it, and it feels very sure footed on trails. And yes, I use it to hunt and work.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can see alot of people who are upset with the post that if hunters do not use them but I did not see one person who responded from Alaska...so here I am to say that they work great for hunting. I usually do not respond to these forums but I thought I owed it to preacher to let him know that I have been way out in the mountains and trust me there is no help where I go if there is a problem. The Outlanders have brought me and a freezer full of meat home every time. This is not the lower 48 where you are only a cry away from help and walking out is not always an option.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: HuntAK
I can see alot of people who are upset with the post that if hunters do not use them but I did not see one person who responded from Alaska...so here I am to say that they work great for hunting. I usually do not respond to these forums but I thought I owed it to preacher to let him know that I have been way out in the mountains and trust me there is no help where I go if there is a problem. The Outlanders have brought me and a freezer full of meat home every time. This is not the lower 48 where you are only a cry away from help and walking out is not always an option.
There WAS an awsome post from an Alaskan hunter a couple of weeks ago on a thread similar to this by the same PASTOR. I even sent the post to my Bro who was thinking about an Outy 400 which he ended up buying. I know this is about the 800, but if you read the Alaskan hunter's post, it would still apply. I thought after PASTOR read it, it would easily answer his questions, but apparantly not.

Chips2000

Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 PM
TPR
The Champ

You ought to see the 3 Outlanders I saw being prepped at the shop for the Baja 1000. These things are some serious machines!
I will bet (espically if one of these wins the race which, luck willing they will) will be featured in at least one of the ATV magazines. It looks like a scaled down trophy truck!

TPR

Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirtwheels usually does a segment on the winning Baja machine.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tons of frivilous information and fluff going back and forth...

To answer your original question Pastor, I have a 2002 650 Quest and just love it. Yes I use it for hunting..Hauled out half a bull elk 2 years ago no problem. My hunting partner has the same but an 03. No problem with the other half..

I have used it for hunting/hauling out critters/touring with the wife on the back...

Lots of power, good clearance, very reliable and dependable.

Spent a week in Northern B.C. hunting moose in the spruce country, travelling seismic cut lines, up to 70 miles round trip one day.. Never got stuck, no mechanicial failures...

I would recommend a Bombardier....

Just my opinion, I am sure I will get slammed for it......

Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor if you wanted to start a flame-thread, i guess u got it!!!

Quick Reply: If hunters don't use 'em...I won't be buying one